Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Dutch pea and ham soup with smoked sausage.

GSRva3dl.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Slow roasted ham shank with red cabbage, and mashed sweet potato

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A staple in the iwantmydinner household: creamy chorizo and red pesto pasta. Everything from Aldi, a super cheap and tasty dinner. Plenty leftover for my lón mór tomorrow as well :)

Sidebar: I love the Aldi wholewheat pasta, particularly the penne. What are yer favourite pasta brands/types?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Been absolutely broke this week. Using leftovers and stuff from the store cupboard, I've been able to put together four days' dinners for four people for about €12.00.

Meatball pizza tonight. The meatballs you buy in Aldi/Lidl are absolutely delicious sliced up and put on pizza. I recommend you try it!

null_zps3b3c31ca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry for the terrible pics

For dinner slow cooked Balsamic Chicken served with sweet potatoes

dinner1_zps49c6af2c.jpg

dinner_zps70b95c33.jpg

For lunch a meatza basically a pizza made with a turkey mince base, and Chorizo, pepperoni and ham as toppings.

SAM_0378_zpse56235d4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Sorry for the terrible pics

For lunch a meatza basically a pizza made with a turkey mince base, and Chorizo, pepperoni and ham as toppings.

SNIP!

Made a Meatza myself a few weeks back with Minced beef for the base. It was soooo good. I purposely didnt make another because I ate the whole thing in one day nearly and it had a serious amount of food in/on it!

20110217meatza.jpg

Great for low-carb-diet and a craving for pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Made a Meatza myself a few weeks back with Minced beef for the base. It was soooo good. I purposely didnt make another because I ate the whole thing in one day nearly and it had a serious amount of food in/on it!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qAHVTFeZyf8/TV0e-NWmzGI/AAAAAAAAAY0/mFPPg1mb2ec/s1600/20110217meatza.jpg

This looks absolutely sublime. Could you post the recipe please? I've never tried Meatza before, but am dying to try it after seeing this.

Would it work with chicken as the base instead of mince?

Yeh I generally make it about once every two weeks using 500g of turkey mince for the base alone so it is a good feed..

I generally eat very little carbs aswell well simple carbs anyway mostly eat complex carbs if I'm having any.

Your one does look delicious nearly drooling looking at the screen :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Billy86 wrote: »
    Tries to tonight, it's absolutely amazing... I could probably drink pints of the sauce! Went about 3:2 creme freche, made with a fistful of frozen veg (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, boiled for 2-3 mins, cooked in sauce for 2-3 more) and gnocchi. Hence why the veg is a bit hidden away.

Probably best to take the chicken out when putting the tomatoes in, and the tomatoes out while the sauce is being mixed, then pop it all in for the last 2 mins. My tomatoes were a tiny bit too soft, nothing too bad just the skins slid off some.

I don't get why gnocchi isn't more popular either on that note, it's pretty cheap at €1.50-2.00/kg and quicker than rice or pasta.

I made this tonight, following your tips of taking chicken and tomatoes out, and also served with gnocchi. My sauce came out a bit darker. I had used boned in skin on chicken breast that I had pan fried first with butter-olive oil and then threw in the oven to finish.
    Delicious, delicious dish. My guest had second helping on the gnocchi and leftover sauce.

Edit: thanks Loire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've been living on it for the last few nights haha... hats off to Loire for mentioning it. You can pretty much use chicken + sauce + whatever else you want and it's gold. Pancetta/'bacon bits' do actually work great which I tried tonight - was a bit cautious but I make a salad (see below) quite commonly with similar ingredients (minus mushrooms or egg, can't see them working in this hot meal) so thought it was worth a go. Just throw them in with the chicken for the last 3-4 minutes to go crispy and remove with the chicken when you put the tomato in. According to a guy I know who dropped 100lbs+ in a matter of months, it's also as "godly" in terms of nutrition, with a few adjustments.

An aside, but something that might be of interest to regulars in this thread... those 'ceramic, wipe-to-clean' pans that have been dominating the infomercial nonsense actually are all they are advertised t be. You can even cook eggs or chicken with no oil, but I usually prefer a splash for flavour.

---
    --My awesome salad :p
    No real measurements, so imagine this as filling a lunchbox:

About 1/3 of the lunchbox/bowl with pasta (I usually go withpenne/sprialli), boiled then ran under water to go cold. Add about 2tsp pesto, then get a fistful of nuts (I use peanuts, work great), crushed with the back of a wooden spoon and mixed in as well.

1-2 chicken fillets, grilled or baked or whatever whole, and shredded. Amazed I never knew how to make shredded meats, it's really easy! Just let it chill, stick a fork in one side, gently brush another for along it width-ways until you can see the fibres, then tear down more aggressively. Clear the fork every now and then because it gets clotted in there. Also removing the skin makes it easier, if possible. Mix this into the pasta.

Get some lettuce/rocket/spinach - of whatever green **** you prefer, I like those three most. Put a 'bed' of it on top of the pasta/chicken.

2-3 rashers (won't work for the Americans as well, with your fatty bacon :p ). Cut it into really thin strips length-ways, then hold them all together in strips and cut into tiny, tiny pieces. Or buy it in bits already, but you tend to pay more and I am a bit paranoid that they use the ****tiest meat for that stuff. Then set the pan to top heat on the hottest ring, add some oil, leave it until some smoke is coming up and ass the bacon bits, always stirring. Only cook for about 2-3 mins, it should be good and crispy, with some bits a little brown. Drain on kitchen paper, and sprinkle over the top.

Get some cherry tomatoes (they need to be ripe!), cut in half and put over the top again. You can dive standard tomatoes if you prefer, but I prefer cherry tomatoes.

This final bit is love-it-or-hate-it: 1-2 poached eggs (soft boiled works the same if you can do them... I can't :( ). They are really easy to do, funny enough - just needs a little preparation. Get the smallest pot in the house, fill it about 10% with vinegar, then another 40% with boiling water. Get a bowl and fill it with some ice-cubes and water (or pop it in the freezer at the very start of cooking, if no ice-cubes). Get about 6-pieces of kitchen paper and layer. Crack an egg into a tiny cup of some sort, and stir the f*** out of the water/vinegar in the pot at medium/high heat in one direction. When you get a 'whirlpool' in the middle of the pot, quickly pop in the egg (the smaller the pot, the more concentrated the whirlpool) - aim for the middle, so it clumps together. The whirlpool will whip the white around the yolk to keep it soft, and the vinegar will make it coagulate and hold together. No vinegar is the main reason people are perplexed as to why their attempts at poached eggs they wind up with gloopy white water, it's crucial. Leave in for about 4 minutes, carefully move to the ice-water for 1-2 minutes to stop it from cooking internally, then on the paper to drain the water, and then on to the very top of everything else. Only poach one at a time!!

In total:
    Pasta/pesto/(pea)nut/shredded chicken mix, topped with...
    Salad/lettuce/spinach mix, topped with...
    Chopped cherry tomatoes and tiny crispy bacon bits, (optionally) topped with...
    Poached egg.

It is unreal with some Caesar dressing, but if that's not in line with your diet the egg yolk also oozes out as a kind of sauce and works surprisingly well with everything else. Doesn't take too much to fill, but I don't have a big appetite at all and have gone through nearly 2kg of this at once before without being too hungry beforehand!

--His 'healthy adjustments'
    10g pesto: 40 calories, 0.4g protein, 0.9g carbs, 3.8g fat
    100g chicken breast: 112 cals, 23.6g pro, 0g carbs, 1.9g fat
    30g (dry weight) penne: 107 cals, 3.6g pro, 21.6g carbs, 0.5g fat
    10g peanuts: 60 cals, 2.6g pro, 1g carbs, 4.8g fat
    80g iceberg lettuce: 10 cals, 0.6g protein, 1.5g carbs, 0.2g fat
    1 medium salad tomato: 16 cals, 0.6g pro, 2.5g carbs, 0.2g fat
    50g ham: 53 calories, 7.9g protein, 0.5g carbs, 2g fat
    poached egg: 80 cals, 6.5g protein, 0.6g carbs, 5g fat
    30g low cal caesar dressing: 18 cals, 0.4g protein, 2.8g carbs, 0.4g fat

496 calories, 46.2g protein, 31.4g carbohydrates, 18.8g fat
    48% protein, 33% carbs, 19% fat

- Makes for a VERY appealing way to lose weight for those sick of eating really drab, boring stuff (I naturally have the metabolism of a 14 year old crack-head, but I love trying new things, so feel a bit bad for those who need to limit myself - d'mother being an example who dropped 4 stone in 6 months recently in her 50s, she eats this regularly).

• Advertisement

What is this?! What is this?! I want it! NOW!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What is this?! What is this?! I want it! NOW!
    Going to second that. How the hell do you get the meat base to stick together!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter made one before - she whizzed a couple of chicken breasts with an egg in the blender and spread it on a baking sheet to partly cook. Then she turned it over and added her pizza toppings before putting it back into the oven to finish cooking.
    It looked revolting after being blended but tasted really good.

Edit: I suppose you'd use an egg to bind the mince too.

Just use turkey mince or beef mince or process chicken to a mince then in a bowl I throw 500g of mince add one egg I also add some rolled oats (helps hold it together) and mix in the bowl and if you choose add in some spices many a time I've added a small amount of franks hot sauce with smoked paprika just to give the base a bit of flavour.

Then take out a baking tray and shape your base from the mince then cook for about twenty minutes at 200 take out add your passata and cheese and whatever other topping you may want then throw back in the oven for a few more minutes and done fairly simple and easy and makes for a nice healthy non carb meal.

Got to love franks hot sauce. Reminds me of this awesome mix:

1 can of tinned tuna.
    1/3 pack of cream cheese, and lemon juice + Franks hot sauce to taste (a good deal of both, prob about double the amount of cream cheese in total)
    Some salt, pepper and cayenne/chilli pepper.

Mix the sauces/juices/spices together, drain the tuna with kitchen paper or in a ricer in you have one - the drier, the better. When the sauce tastes right to you (I like it spicy), add the tuna and stir until well mixed. Tastes really strong, but the bread levels that out a lot... great, cheap sandwiches for work. Don't worry if the sauce is a bit watery, the tune will soak a lot of that up, and a few hours in the fridge solidifies it more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jackd1

Did anyone see a recent recipe on tv for a fish fillet wrapped in spinach cooked in filo pastry? I thought it was Tom Kerridge but I can't find it anywhere on the web pages of his series. Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

jackd1 wrote: »
    Did anyone see a recent recipe on tv for a fish fillet wrapped in spinach cooked in filo pastry? I thought it was Tom Kerridge but I can't find it anywhere on the web pages of his series. Thanks!

It was definately Tom Kerridge, but I can't find the recipe either - it was turbot in filo - yummy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sorchaniri

Yep, I was drooling over that Tom Kerridge recipe too - it was on his Proper Pub Food series the other week, so presumably it's in that cookbook? Think it was wrapped in puff pastry, but presume it's what you're looking for.

Thanks Sorcha, could well be in that cookbook. Only I just tried Eason's in Dundrum and they don't HAVE the book! So the search goes on...............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks Sorcha, could well be in that cookbook. Only I just tried Eason's in Dundrum and they don't HAVE the book! So the search goes on...............

You can buy the episode of that programme (episode 5 called Sunday Lunches) on iTunes for just £1.99 :)

• Advertisement

Cool Merkin, many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A crispy bacon sandwich and a bowl of home made celery soup. You really don't want or need a picture of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Swedish meatballs, chips, gravy and lingonberry jam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

angeldaisy wrote: »
    It was definately Tom Kerridge, but I can't find the recipe either - it was turbot in filo - yummy:D
    sorchaniri wrote: »
    Yep, I was drooling over that Tom Kerridge recipe too - it was on his Proper Pub Food series the other week, so presumably it's in that cookbook? Think it was wrapped in puff pastry, but presume it's what you're looking for.

Recipe here

Tonight we had chicken stir fry.

It seems I can now eat peppers, after being allergic to them for years, so I'm really enjoying adding them to my meals now :)

I'm really sorry I didn't take last night's dinner's photo - I cooked home made chips, while Mr Fox made beautifully battered cod; so so light and amazingly crispy.

Top job Minder, youre well named!
    Many thanks, you just saved my pescatarian daughter-coming-home-in-December dinner !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No pics but last night I made North African style pasties again - slightly spiced rough puff pastry filled Cornish pasty style with spicy minced lamb, pinenuts, courgette, tomato and fresh herbs. Had a green salad with this.

The night before we had Tesco finest rib eyes (bought them in the reduced section - surprisingly good steaks) cooked rare, couscous with pinenuts, apricots, mint, parsley and smoked paprika and fried very green cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Tonight's chicken curry wholegrain rice very boring but can't wait am starved and torturing myself reading yummy food

• Advertisement

Tonight we are having beef stir fry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement