Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night we had steak with a sweet potato & goats cheese salad (with sweet potato mash & more goats cheese on the side for the one of us who wasn't a piggy who had a giant cheese sandwich just before dinner). The fat's cut off my steak because it's back in the pan getting extra crispy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Last night we had steak with a sweet potato & goats cheese salad (with sweet potato mash & more goats cheese on the side for the one of us who wasn't a piggy who had a giant cheese sandwich just before dinner). The fat's cut off my steak because it's back in the pan getting extra crispy
    That looks lovel!
    It's nice too if you fry very briefly the slices of goats cheese before you put them on the salad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Almost a vegetarian meal tonight. Starter was a salad of sprouted lentils and mung beans dressed with a little red wine vinegar and olive oil, piled on a swirl of roasted aubergine puree and garnished with some roasted chicken skin.

Main course was roast beetroot and goats cheese salad with pea shoots and toasted walnuts, following a Raymond Blanc recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry no picture but we had Shepherd's Pie tonight.
    Disappointed.

I couldn't get the mash creamy enough; was too afraid it'd turn out too sticky if I kept adding butter/milk.
    Hard to spread the mash over the mince. I added some grated cheese on top before baking in the oven

Looked the biz but didn't taste beefy and the mash/cheesy topping was too soft and not a bit crisp :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sorry no picture but we had Shepherd's Pie tonight.
    Disappointed.

I couldn't get the mash creamy enough; was too afraid it'd turn out too sticky if I kept adding butter/milk.
    Hard to spread the mash over the mince. I added some grated cheese on top before baking in the oven

Looked the biz but didn't taste beefy and the mash/cheesy topping was too soft and not a bit crisp :(

I swear by this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night I made Gordon Ramsay's Beef Bourgignon. My first time cooking it and first time eating it. It was really, really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was a bit of a little bit of everything dinner.
    We had a late afternoon snack of a leftover pasty from Friday - even nicer cold the next day.

A couple of hours later we had flash fried squid with chillies, coriander, lime juice and sea salt.

4ZW93v.jpg

Then we had a very simple, very light leek and potato soup.

5pH52N.jpg

Finally there was McCarthy's black pudding (my current favourite) topped with pan fried monkfish with Frank's hot sauce and lemon curd served with minted crushed peas.

6zRZ5N.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas tonight. I had roasted peppers and courgette with feta and mushrooms on mine. And garlic mayonnaise for dipping the crusts :)

2ilnez8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Another day with the slow cooker....beef stew cooked for 6 hours. Thought I made enough to freeze some left overs but 2nd helpings put paid to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A nice autumn salad of roast pumpkin (which I had never had before and is ever so creamy and delicious), grated apple, rocket & a little goats cheese with some pan fried chicken and croutons made of the fiddly end slices of a loaf of bacon & onion bread. Would have liked a vinaigrette with it to cut through the pumpkin but we've just moved house and presses are bare

F0817DE3-83CB-4600-B4E3-82DACCF78322-2266-0000018CBA60BE8B_zps08c029ce.jpg

• Advertisement

Chicken savoyarde with green beans and potatoes parmentier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

One of the OH's work colleagues was giving away veg from his garden, and the OH got 3 aubergines. So I made moussaka, it was lovely! Also first ever time I made my own bechamel sauce, it was much easier than I expected and no lumps!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made summer-in-winter chicken last night, with loads of sauce (two tablespoons each of creme fraiche and pesto? shyeah) including home-made pesto, served on rice with my first ever bottle of homemade wine, a Pinot Grigio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I made Spanish garlic chicken last night (Pollo al ajillo).

There are loas of recipes for it but I mixed and matched between some of them and made it as follows:

1. Fry 1kg of chicken pieces in olive oil on a medium heat until golden and crispy. I used thighs and drumsticks.
    2. Remove the chicken to a plate
    3. Don't clean the pan. Add 10-15 cloves of garlic to the oil. Fry on a medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes. I used a spatula to scrape anything sticking to the pan off but left all this in the pan.
    4. Add some thyme and a few bay leaves to the pan.
    5. Add 250ml of white wine and shortly after a cup of chicken stock. Bring to the boil slowly and then reduce heat.
    6. Add the chicken back to the pan skin side up. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Occassionally open it and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
    7. While this is cooking shallow fry some thinly sliced potatoes.
    8. Place a serving of these on each plate, put a few pieces of chicken on top of the potato, and spoon over the sauce.
    9. Serve with green salad and crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

It turned out delicious for me!

Sat:
    starters: Scallops & Tiger Prawns fried in butter & garlic topped with fried breadcrumbs and served with slices of lemon
    mains: BBQ fillet steak (marinaded in wine for 4 hours!) with hollandaise sauce (made for the first time - yum), roasties and green beans
    (The au pair was out!!)

Sun: Slow cooker Sunday again yesterday - beef stew with bread from the Pano

I made Spanish garlic chicken last night (Pollo al ajillo).

3. Don't clean the pan. Add 10-15 cloves of garlic to the oil.

Sounds great! Do you peel the cloves of garlic?

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Very hot chilli, baked potatoes & salad last night.

EA9D1C2E-1289-4254-8610-030352B934A6-7646-000005D56B348FFA_zps7720d893.jpg

*a disgusting amount of cheese was used in the making of this meal*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Totally went out at lunch and bought what I need to make this tonight. Can. Not. Wait.

Totally went out at lunch and bought what I need to make this tonight. Can. Not. Wait.
    You will not regret it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was going to make beefburgers with onions in gravy tonight but I defrosted minced pork by mistake. So I cooked it with chopped bacon, onions, carrots, a little grated apple, flour, stock, and a pinch of sage and made it into a pie. It was really nice and I'll definitely make it again.

2ijky34.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Was recovering from Sat night so had pizza last night. Tonight is carbonara

Big curry feast tonight. Desi Murg chicken, tarka daal, curried beans, aubergine with tomatoes, basmati rice, raita, chutneys and some homemade naans.

Naans weren't bad but I would love to get a great naan from my convection oven. Anyone got a good working recipe for a home made naan?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Made a lovely comforting fish pie with mini roasties tonight. Perfect at the end of a crap day.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Minder wrote: »
    Big curry feast tonight. Desi Murg chicken, tarka daal, curried beans, aubergine with tomatoes, basmati rice, raita, chutneys and some homemade naans.

Naans weren't bad but I would love to get a great naan from my convection oven. Anyone got a good working recipe for a home made naan?
    Can I move in with you?
    Doing similar tomorrow, chickpea dahl, saag aloo, and bombay pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lamb taggine with naan breads.

null_zps11ac9f4c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

You will not regret it!

My gravy isn't thickening properly :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

For dinner tonight we had pork chops, with a whiskey and cream sauce and buttery cream potatoes.

My gravy isn't thickening properly :/

Did you put in enough flour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Loire wrote: »
    Sounds great! Do you peel the cloves of garlic?

Loire

Yes I peel the cloves of garlic and put them into the pan whole. The garlic itself is delicious to eat after cooking for so long.
    Some recipes state to put the garlic unpeeled into the pan and then remove it before serving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Last night I cooked deep fried chicken balls with egg fried rice in a sweet n' sour sauce. Got the recipe from the Cooking Club. It was delicious!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement