Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Did you put in enough flour?

I've realised I put in too much stock. Not a huge amount too much though. Not sure how I made such a simple mistake!!

Having my first bite of it for lunch today, SUPER excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Neck of pork cooked in the slow cooker (falling apart :)). I added gently fried apples & onions to the pork (with some veg stock) for the last hour and served it on a platter with roast baby potatoes on the side. It was yum yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Loire wrote: »
    Neck of pork cooked in the slow cooker (falling apart :)). I added gently fried apples & onions to the pork (with some veg stock) for the last hour and served it on a platter with roast baby potatoes on the side. It was yum yum!

Recipe! I got a slow cooker a short while ago and I'm dying to try pork in it:D

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Recipe! I got a slow cooker a short while ago and I'm dying to try pork in it:D

Hi,

I never liked pork until I got my slow cooker but now it's becoming a staple.

There's a great Pulled Pork recipe in the Cooking Club, but for this one I didn't season / spice the pork at all - the slow cooker is so good IMO, pork as it is is more than adequate. Aaanyway:

Pork (the tricky bit :pac:)
    I used neck - shoulder or loin would be great too...

Put the pork into the slow cooker on High for an hour then put it on Low. Leave it for another 4-5 hours or longer if you want - it won't burn, it will just get better the longer it's in.

Apples & Onions:
    4 apples - cores removed and sliced how you like them - I left mine thumb sized
    1 onion sliced
    1 Cup of veg stock - not too much as the slow cooker will not evaporate any liquids

Gently fry the apples and onions in a frying pan with a little oil until they become soft - about 5 mins
    Add the stock and cook for another 10 minutes - it should reduce and thicken a little bit

Last Hour / half hour
    Remove the juices from the slow cooker (these could probably be left in, but I thought adding the apples/onions with the stock would be too "soupy")
    Add the apples & onions and stock to the pork

Serve on a platter. I broke the pork into quarter fist sizes, put them in the middle and then laid the apple/onion around the edges

Bon Appetit!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slow roast duck legs, roast pear and garlic, puy lentils with beetroot and stuff.

6C9jbm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Found this on my phone from last Friday.

Set about making Chilli only to realise I had no beans and no peas. Made do with chickpeas and sweetcorn.

I use a different recipe every time I make chilli, this was my best batch to date.

The only new ingredient was about half a bottle of Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, I bought it months ago and didn't really like it on it's own, I was out of Red Hot so used this instead, it turned out really great.

279967.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Last night was a bit of a little bit of everything dinner.
    We had a late afternoon snack of a leftover pasty from Friday - even nicer cold the next day.

A couple of hours later we had flash fried squid with chillies, coriander, lime juice and sea salt.

Then we had a very simple, very light leek and potato soup.
    [/IMG]

Finally there was McCarthy's black pudding (my current favourite) topped with pan fried monkfish with Frank's hot sauce and lemon curd served with minted crushed peas.

Sublime as ever beer revolu. :)

Did you pilfer those cups from a cafe somewhere? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gammon steaks, fried egg, mash and veg. A white sauce made with some pineapple juice and a teaspoon of English mustard added - I thought it was perfect for the salty gammon, others weren't so sure.....

null_zps463cfc2b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had pan fried duck breasts with creamy mashed potatoes.

Need to get veg back in my diet again.

Smoked Salmon carbonara - kids and myself wolfed it, but herself wasn't made on it :eek::confused::rolleyes::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made fish pie with pollock we caught ourselves, smoked salmon, king prawns and smoked haddock topped with wayyyyy too much cheese to be healthy, was very moreish :)

awec wrote: »
    Sublime as ever beer revolu. :)

Did you pilfer those cups from a cafe somewhere? :p

No theft involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Some recent meals from the last week

Chicken Pie with a white sauce filling, carrots, swede & peas

7E6A2B44-C6D2-463C-8F11-A4C718ED64AB-2061-000002834815BBA1_zpse80ca747.jpg

Steak sandwich with relish, mozzarella & pickles

3BC60560-5252-47B7-886E-4838D6D92CF5-2061-000002833EDED9BB_zpsab1be126.jpg

Beef & Guinness stew with rainbow carrots, mushroom & red onion (served with Cous cous)

BD6BBF67-AC09-4BC2-923E-AFA96E50120A-2061-0000028333CEB84A_zps134867db.jpg

last night was a nice, if odd, leftovers meal.
    McCarthy's black pudding, very green cabbage and the lentils with beetroot and stuff from the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Miso soup, stir fried broccoli and fried dumplings.

280147.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Tonight I made baked salmon, polenta chips and veg. It was all delicious.

Meatballs in cider.

null_zps8d912852.jpg

Pancakes with streaky bacon. Made them with the kids as a treat and just thought, feck it, the'd be great for us too!

Lemon and herb chicken and salad for us tonight, absolutely delicious, will definitely have it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast guinea fowl seasoned with lemon and porcini salt. Big bowl of fedelini with basil & tomato sauce and a heap of fluffy parmesan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I jumped on the bandwagon last night and tried the summer-in-winter chicken. I used chopped cooked chicken that I had left over, and served it with Mafaldine pasta, just because I saw it in the supermarket and like the look of it!
    Love this recipe! And there's enough for today's lunch, yay! :)

Homemade Burgers followed by some niice red ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Miso soup (again), fried rice with egg, mange touts, spring onion, corn and mushrooms.

280362.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had summer in winter chicken too - delicious! I had it with gnocchi and the second night I made it with bacon instead of chicken - still delicious

Grilled chicken thighs with chorizo under the skin; fennel, Jerusalem artichoke, carrot and orange slaw. Mrs. Beer had rice too.
    The chorizo didn't look very pretty under the skin - looked a bit like bruises - but tasted great and made for a lovely jus.

5xJqQz.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have a slow cooker full of pulled pork ready for consumption, as well as a fridge full of beer and a cupboard with wine.

Ahhh.. Fridays. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Yesterday I cooked a lamb fillet in the slow cooker in tagine style sauce and served it with brown rice. Tonight we had the reheated leftovers.

Tonight we are having Enchiladas. It's my first time trying (eating and cooking) Mexican food, so hopefully they turn out nice.

Sausage meat with pasta. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/proper-blokes-sausage-fusilli
    This also tastes great without any chilli added, just the fennel flavour. Fennel and pork is the new black!

null_zps7291eeb9.jpg

• Advertisement

Lightly floured pan fried haddock fillets with mango salsa and Japanese rice.

7wHzQM.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement