Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spanakopitta - the filo pastry triangles stuffed with feta, spinach and some softened onion. Also had a steak sandwich with roast tomatoes, lettuce and horseradish sauce.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Butterflied breast of chicken with roast, chipped potatoes, and roasted red peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Peanut butter on toast - I was too goddamn tired to cook, it was fab though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Baked Sea Bass in foil with herbs, lemon, etc. Served with herbed potato chunks and braised fennel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Got the lurgy this week so not much cooking - too tired. Last night I did boiled corned beef, mashed potatoes, sweetcorn and home-made parsley sauce, and it nearly killed me. Left cooking to the others tonight, which involves a medley of frozen items, oven-cooked and handed to me on a plate, which frankly is worth its weight in gold when you feel crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Home made burgers with gorgonzola and chips.

I found two anonymous looking birds in the freezer and having defrosted them, I roasted them until they were completely dessicated. Not a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Minder wrote: »
    I found two anonymous looking birds in the freezer and having defrosted them, I roasted them until they were completely dessicated. Not a good day.

That's the first of your meals that hasn't made me wish I was gatecrashing your dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

UB wrote: »
    That's the first of your meals that hasn't made me wish I was gatecrashing your dinner.
    +1 :)

UB wrote: »
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    +1 :)

You should have come 'round - we also had a rhubarb crumble from Ramsays repetoire. It had sushi pickled ginger in it, and hazelnuts and oats in the topping. The ginger is very mellow with the fruit and the topping was light but still crunchy.

• Advertisement

You are toying with us now Minder. :)

Last night was a risotto with butternut squash, roast garlic and crispy pan fried sage leaves.

Searched the fridge today (finally feeling better) to discover a bunch of bits and pieces bought by other people in a sort of "We quite fancy one of these, but we won't cook it ourselves" fashion. Subsequently, tonight's dinner was fillet steaks sliced paper thin and flash-fried in the wok with a home-constructed green pepper teriyaki sauce, along with chinese red braised beef (there were rump steaks that had to be used as well) with chili bean paste and a large bowl of steamed rice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I had smushed up sea trout in pitta bread. It was nice, especially as I was not in the mood for eating it properly. :)

Egg noodles with roast duck, baby sweetcorn and pickled plums.

Last night was prawn stirfry with load of garlic bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was salmon steaks baked in foil with tarragon, lemon juice and white wine. They were nice but a little underdone. Served with new season spuds and green beans

Tonight was better! Roast leg of lamb with a bit of garlic and rosemary inserted. Served with roast spuds and bolied brocolli. Getting into this idea of leaving lamb out at room temp for a few hours before roasting. Cant put my finger on it but it does seem to improve the flavour

Home made burgers with herby roasted new potato wedges.

Pot roast guinea fowl with garlic, rosemary, smoked sausage and haricot beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Home made burgers with herby roasted new potato wedges.

Ooh, that's what we're having tomorrow night. Yes, I plan my meals for the week. Tis cheaper that way!

Tonight I needed something quick so had cous cous and veg. Went to the supermarket and one of the things we bought is chicken sausages. I've never had them before so it should be interesting. Anyone any suggestions for them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had chilli beef ramen - my daughter bought the Wagamama cookbook and cooked for us - it was fabulous. She wanted to make edamame but couldn't get soya beans at short notice so she used sugarsnap peas and they were very yummy :)

watna wrote: »
    Ooh, that's what we're having tomorrow night.
    For a bit of a zing - try adding a bit of grated ginger to the mince. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

For a bit of a zing - try adding a bit of grated ginger to the mince. ;)

Will do. OH is all about the zing and spice!

Last nite was Baked Cod with Herby Mash and Roasted Veg

Roast chicken & all the usual trimmings, plus a roasted head of garlic. (Yum!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

chicken curry,chips,chicken balls,spring roll...{take away}and couldnt eat it all.eyes are bigger than me belly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hmmmm alot of the dinners here sound lovely, but wow some of them sound really expensive.

Last night I had ciabatta bread, with mayo either side, 2 slices of lean ham, lots of lettuce and raw onion. Still have ciabatta bread left so will make something with that later. Bruchetta kinda thing.

I love anything with garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hmmmm alot of the dinners here sound lovely, but wow some of them sound really expensive.

Last night I had ciabatta bread, with mayo either side, 2 slices of lean ham, lots of lettuce and raw onion. Still have ciabatta bread left so will make something with that later. Bruchetta kinda thing.

I love anything with garlic.

YUM YUM! that sounds lovely,and with it being so healthy is a bit of a bonus! and yep,garlic is good!:D

Made quick pot of chili last night, easy staple when we're all busy.

Need to go back to the markets some time soon to restock my supplies, hmmm, this weekend mebbe...

• Advertisement

Mrs Billy' lasagne with garlic bread, & tomato & mozzarella salad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement