Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think this looks great but it was seriously tasty.
    Araignée steaks cooked rare served with Teriyaki (sort of, I think : soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey, black vinegar, saki, chilli flakes, lemon juice) sauce; Japanese rice; the artichoke, fennel and carrot slaw from the other day which went fantastically with it.

6Vyvfq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Araignée steaks cooked rare served with Teriyaki...

Interesting cut of meat, was it a long conversation with the butcher? Rare to see spider steaks even a decent butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Chicken stuffed with fresh basil, pesto, red peppers & goats cheese with roasted butternut and asparagus.
    Nyomers.

DC195BD1-6CF9-443F-9C00-37F6EE309F90-4698-00000340A72661F2_zpsf1352912.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Lightly floured pan fried haddock fillets with mango salsa and Japanese rice.

Your photos are always amazing and I'd love to get that kind of clarity. You'd make beans on toast look great... Hey there is a challenge for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Home made pizza. Dough was a recipe by Dan Lepard and had 200ml of beer in the mix. The result was very good. Combination of good beer and fast dry yeast was a flavour not far removed from a sourdough. Nice crust, crisp base. Recipe here, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Basic home made spaghetti bolognese and parmesan with deep fried jalapeno (absolutely amazing stuff and very simple - get a jar of green jalapenos, fill the rings with a fingertip of cream cheese each, sprinkle with chili flakes, then dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs... deep fry in oil for about 2 mins each. Any 'broken rings' in the pack clump into a ball and mash together with a about 2-3 teaspoons of cream cheese. Not actually very spicy either, for people who don't like spice).

2013_11_15_20_29_12.jpg

2013_11_15_20_29_03.jpg

...and apple, cinnamon and strawberry donuts for after. Follow this recipe, but add extra strawberry jam (wriggle the blade of the knife inside to free up more space - and add it as soon as possible so it heats up). Also, shred an apple in a cheese grater, sprinkle over some cinnamon, and while forming the final dough balls in the instructions add in about a teaspoon of the shredded apple to each. You will need a fistful more flour than in the recipe as it undershoots what is needed, and the juices from the apples add more moisture again. So, so tasty!

2013_11_15_22_18_15.jpg

2013_11_15_22_18_29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Again as a part of my 'cookbook challenge'
    I cooked a big meal for a bunch of friends
    Starter: Guacamole cheese and onion quesadilla (from Jamie's Dinners)
    Main: 8hr slow cooked corned beef (Australian Women's weekly Country Collection)
    Slow roasted chicken (Fifty Shades of Chicken)
    Dessert: Strawberry sorbet (Larousse Gastronomique)
    Chocolate cake (James Martin desserts)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Made a chicken and prawn risotto. First time making it :)

Risotto_zps96062dbb.png

Minder wrote: »
    Interesting cut of meat, was it a long conversation with the butcher? Rare to see spider steaks even a decent butchers.

Not long at all. I have a very good, progressive butcher. It was he put me onto that cut - cheap, tender and really flavourful.
    But I'm not giving away my source - there's only two of these steaks per beast!
    I also get Picanha and tri tip and all sorts of other lovely out of the ordinary cuts.
    Your photos are always amazing and I'd love to get that kind of clarity. You'd make beans on toast look great... Hey there is a challenge for you. :D

Thank you sir. It's not rocket science but you do need a reasonably decent camera with a largish sensor to get that shallow depth of field that often looks good with food. Lighting is also important - I'm lucky that the lights in my extractor hood just happen to back light the food nicely when I stick the plate on the hob. Also, don't be afraid to get in close - you don't need to see the whole plate and everything on it. Lower angles often look nicer too.
    Also helps if the food actually looks nice ;)
    I'm afraid I won't be taking you up on the baked beans challenge - I can't abide baked beans:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had pizza for dinner last night. Put a table spoon of mustard powder in with the base mix, gives it a good kick. And for the toppings, prawns, lardons, pepper, onion, olives, mushrooms, cheese and a good shake of paprika on the top. Kitchen was a bit of a mess, woops.

D851792DE29242AE8AEFE0E037A4B353-0000324795-0003435949-00800L-F6FA760CBE7B403396C5A58C6EE31BAF.jpg

F4AE5521647B475CA1B72A0816B6B854-0000324795-0003435948-00800L-122416239705498186FBCF2E582E6770.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night we had friends around. No pics but we had:

Potato and leek soup with fresh mint and Greek yoghurt.

Slow roast, spiced shoulder of free range pork with spicy jus; slaw of Jerusalem artichoke, fennel, apple, carrot and ginger; mustard and rocket salad; wet polenta.

Cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having roast duck with port and orange. Will serve with spuds and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight is a well deserved Indian takeaway feast from Celbridge's finest Delhi Darbar.
    Goan Prawn Curry
    Extra Spicy Chicken Tikka Masala outer space illuminous version
    Lamb Bhuna
    Chana Masala
    Garlic Nan and Pilau rice all around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I made the summer-in-winter chicken this evening, with basmati rice. So simple, and so tasty. Can really see it becoming a regular dish. I stir fried some red & yellow peppers, mushroom & onion separately, and added to the chicken & sauce at the last second before pouring on top of the rice. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A Large Bic Mac Meal with Coke. Everything a hungover boys needs - salt, sugar and caffeine. It was soo yummy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had Buffalo chicken pieces coated in oat flour, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika then overed in wackys wing sauce after being cooked and some chickpea thing the girlfriend made cooked in passata with onions, peppers and various spices.

Was delicious but once again crappy phone pics don't do it justice really looked and tasted better than the pic portrays will have to invest in a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

On Friday I made Breaded chicken fillets:
    280915.jpg

On Saturday we went to the Baggott Inn to watch the match and eat curry

On Sunday I was quite hung over from the combination of Curry, beer, spring rolls, sausages, birthday cake, beer, birthday cake, beer, sambuca, beer and cheesy chips. All I could manage for dinner was a cheese and ballymaloe sambo:
    280916.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We cooked a Lidl leg of lamb last night, following a Heston technique we saw on Aussie Masterchef - seared it off, studded it with rosemary sprigs and garlic slivers wrapped in anchovies, stuck it in the oven at 120⁰, left it until the internal temperature reached about 57⁰ - wow. I don't think I'll ever cook a lamb leg any other way again. It took a couple of hours, but produced vast quantities of meltingly tender, perfectly pink and succulent lamb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

beef cheek barbacoa last night

5ECN6w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This thread is getting very close to 10,000!! I have bolognese for my dinner, nom....

Edit: Or my discalcula has really taken hold and we're 400 posts away :p

• Advertisement

beef cheek barbacoa last night

Since you posted up the recipe for this a couple of years ago, I've had it bookmarked and have been meaning to try it.
    Some day:rolleyes:

Since you posted up the recipe for this a couple of years ago, I've had it bookmarked and have been meaning to try it.
    Some day:rolleyes:

Did I yeah? Don't recall that at all. It's worth a whirl but tbh I probably wouldn't go there again. There's something missing in the dish for me. The pickled onions are awesome, talk about sharp!

Did I yeah? Don't recall that at all. It's worth a whirl but tbh I probably wouldn't go there again. There's something missing in the dish for me. The pickled onions are awesome, talk about sharp!

Somebody posted that recipe here!
    This is the one I bookmarked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Duly bookmarked, looks delish!

Ha! I don't think I can claim it though it is the exact recipe I cooked. I probably saw it here myself to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Made a huge pot of chilli last night:

c130137e-e163-400f-bf33-b1ed3ec00f9c.jpg

And tonight had chicken satay skewers with noodles:

66a62ac2-3823-40fe-a7ee-54d0aca01329.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Black pudding (the French stuff) with creamy mashed potato and caramelised apples. NOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Chicken Curry made from scratch (nom!) and boiled rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night, still feeling the effects of the weekend we needed something comforting!

Pork chops cooked in orchard syrup and garlic potato gratin. Went to the freezer to get some peas but hadn't realised we were all out, hence the lack of greens!

AEBD9A62-AB23-46B7-91EE-EB8513947819-6814-0000081AEF2C69F2_zps88910c1e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Boozy (aka cooked in beer instead of water) baked beans with bacon & chipotles on buttery toast with a fried egg and some parmesan flakes and a heap of pepper

af6f7df7-b17f-47bd-9d81-661236c343e9_zps62a36e7a.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement