Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We had another round of 'Cookbook challenge' last night (my housemate this time)

Starter: Paneer tikka skewers from Gordon's Great Escape
    Main: Dhal from Gordon's world kitchen
    Chicken curry from Gizzi's Kitchen Magic
    Dessert: Vanilla pannacotta from Donna Hay's Modern Classics
    with leftover strawberry sorbet (homemade)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Boozy (aka cooked in beer instead of water) baked beans with bacon & chipotles on buttery toast with a fried egg and some parmesan flakes and a heap of pepper

That looks immense!

Nothing too exciting last night, had to use up the rest of the garlic potato gratin so had it with chili minute steaks and grilled paprika peppers.

D13829D2-F6F4-4EBE-97FC-B9A518E29B41-7459-0000095BFC684EAE_zpsd890b1a5.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Had my dad's birthday dinner last night. We had a starter of bruschetta, which was really fabulous. For mains, I went with roast chicken stuffed with lemon and garlic, potatoes roasted in goose fat, roasted carrots and parsnips, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. For dessert, we had Victoria sponge stuffed with fresh cream and raspberry jam. It was very successful! No pictures because my parents wouldn't understand wtf I was doing :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    No pictures because my parents wouldn't understand wtf I was doing :D.

Sounds fab.
    yeah, I feel funny taking pics when we have guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Faith wrote: »
    Had my dad's birthday dinner last night. We had a starter of bruschetta, which was really fabulous. For mains, I went with roast chicken stuffed with lemon and garlic, potatoes roasted in goose fat, roasted carrots and parsnips, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. For dessert, we had Victoria sponge stuffed with fresh cream and raspberry jam. It was very successful! No pictures because my parents wouldn't understand wtf I was doing :D.

That sounds like my dream home cooked meal - good job Faith! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Sounds amazing Faith, sounds like you made a simple dinner really special!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slow cooker chorizo & chickpea stew. Added kale & green beans for the last bit and served with crusty bread. Delicious!

slowcookerchorizoampchickpeastewnovember2013_zps10243075.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight we had a very gooey lasagna. Yum. I also roasted quails on the side as a test for Christmas dinner. think it'll be too fiddly for the guests so scraping the idea off. Delicious and most none the less. One of these days I might try it in Franks sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Picked up one of these this evening:
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279795627

Usually 17e reduced to 6.something as best before tomorrow. Gonna have more roast potatoes with roasted carrots too.

We'll see how it goes..

update:
    Great value for 6e...bad for 17e.
    A bit light on the stuffing and the lamb was a bit fatty/grisley. Having said that though it takes very little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Loire wrote: »
    Picked up one of these this evening:
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279795627

Usually 17e reduced to 6.something as best before tomorrow. Gonna have more roast potatoes with roasted carrots too.

We'll see how it goes..

Let us know how it is, ive been craving lamb recently and the only legs I can find could feed an army but something like this could be ideal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Let us know how it is, ive been craving lamb recently and the only legs I can find could feed an army but something like this could be ideal

Aldi often have half legs that would serve about 4 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lancashire Hot Pot.....

null_zps1e0a7389.jpg

Mightn't look like much but this was the first solid food I've had since a dodgy sandwich on Monday afternoon!
    Best dinner I've had in a long, long time (hope my belly feels the same). I missed eating.

8puegX.jpg

Mightn't look like much but this was the first solid food I've had since a dodgy sandwich on Monday afternoon!
    Best dinner I've had in a long, long time (hope my belly feels the same). I missed eating.

Nothing worse than food poisoning! By the way, can't beat chicken and rice combo. very comforting.

Tonight I too had chicken thighs roasted in five spice and garlic soy. Served with Caesar salad and coleslaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had KFC again. This time I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and dredged in rice flour and cornflour before deep frying. Once cooked, the chicken was swathed in sticky chilli sauce. Ate it with fennel, red cabbage & iceberg lettuce slaw dressed with ponzu sauce; and a pile of plain white rice.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Nothing worse than food poisoning! By the way, can't beat chicken and rice combo. very comforting.

You can never be 100% it is food poisoning or a bug but I have a gut feeling (pun intended) it was that sambo.
    I so enjoyed my dinner, I have my appetite back if not a properly functioning digestive system:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

;)We had a beef stew. Cooked initially on Wed evening in the slow cooker and then "heated up" in the slow cooker for 3 hours yest evening. Had it with mash and a nice Bordeaux

Flash fried Co. Cork rose veal escalopes with an onion and thyme jus, mash, grilled garlic tomatoes and peas. I've never eaten much veal before and was keen to try some ethically produced Irish veal but I was left a bit unimpressed.
    I thought it was just not as nice as beef and way more expensive - no great flavour or texture. Wouldn't buy it again. I also put too much thyme in the jus.

58a9dj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Carrot and Coriander soup. I never tried this before and it warmed the cockles of my heart, as my old granny used to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Carbonara, from a recipe on the Italian Foodies blog that I don't think I'm following exactly anymore (had to try VERY hard not to type "eggsactly" there). Basically 2 egg yolks beaten with loads of black pepper, fried lardons, lots of parmesan & a little of the pasta water to add sauciness. I am replete & happy but may now go consume an entire Milka Tuc in order to give myself gout for Christmas

2421BC3F-16D7-42B6-8706-6634B64F5C83-2726-00000330EC0064BF_zps8c46f577.jpg

• Advertisement

Had home delivery tonight, we decided to try out the Japanese takeaway on North Strand - Okayu. A various selection of seafood tempura, chicken skewers, deep fried chicken and pork rice curry.

Very different to the usual Chinese takeaway and very, very tasty. The tempura came with a smoked essence sauce that turned a rather dull fried dish into delicious. The chicken skewers came in a little bit of chicken stock that was amazing.

Will definitely be back for more.....

http://m.yelp.ie/biz/okayu-dublin

Very different to the usual Chinese takeaway

http://m.yelp.ie/biz/okayu-dublin

Of course it was! Japanese and Chinese cuisines are completely different to each other.
    It would be like comparing Russian cuisine to Spanish - some common ingredients but a totally different approach to making food.

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Home made beef burgers with home made chips, washed down with some old speckled hen ale (not home made :D).

The yellow stuff is picallily, which is a whole other level of awesome. :)

WP_20131123_003.jpg

Of course it was! Japanese and Chinese cuisines are completely different to each other.
    It would be like comparing Russian cuisine to Spanish - some common ingredients but a totally different approach to making food.

Apart from the odd bit of sushi, first time we'd tried Japanese food. It looked like Chinese and came with chop sticks so it could be considered from the same region. But yes, that's the only similarities. The smell of the chicken stock is still lingering here, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Cauliflower, potato and pea curry.

281677.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Since I am never arsed making it for breakfast I made eggs benedict (using spinach ham - bacon overpowers everything else too much wrapped inside pancakes.

2013_11_23_17_11_25.jpg

Pancakes actually work out easier I find, since you can make them first, put the ham and spinach inside, fold then fold again, and pop in the oven at about 120 while making the eggs and sauce.

2013_11_23_17_13_46.jpg

The egg whites were fully cooked - just clearing up since it looks a bit 'goopy' here with the sauce :o. There is no such thing as too much hollandaise sauce!

Also figured out an easier way to do poached eggs than swirling the water (which often leaves the yolk completely exposed and only allows one to be made at a time) - just crack the eggs one at a time into a large ladel and VERY slowly dip that into the pot of boiling water (still with some vinegar) and very gently tilt the ladel after 15-20 seconds so they slip out. With a big enough pot you could do even up to 20 of them at a go this way.

^^^ My oh my look at that egg yolk!:eek: Must be darn delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I picked up a super rib steak earlier & had it with fried scallions & tomatoes & a crusty loaf.

While doing a clear-out of my freezer earlier I found a variety pack of BBQ sausages (weisswurst, Aargauerwurst & some spicy ones). So I picked up a small bacon joint this afternoon & now have a wonderful-smelling coddle-type dish on the go for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Bangers & mash
    B3E227B8-EC77-441A-8482-1FAB47F85DA2-10332-0000082232D2C3C2_zpsae77c171.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I also put too much thyme in the jus.

I've found it's so easy to overdo thyme. Can ruin a dish sometimes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement