Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ^^^ My oh my look at that egg yolk!:eek: Must be darn delicious!
    Ha, cheers!

You should try it, it's not actually too tricky (I'm a disaster at getting a soft boiled egg done right, to be honest). The pancake bit before is dead easy, then you just pop it in the oven on a low heat while you do the rest. You just put the eggs in the ladel, and VERY carefully and put them into the water and vinegar (let the ladel rest until the egg is maybe 10% white) - about 3 mins medium/high (I use the hottest ring on 4, out of six settings) and you're good to do. Just dab them with some kitchen paper. you can get away with gently squeezing them to get a feel on how solid the inside is.

Hollandaise is finnicky, but not too tough. Per person, get 50g of butter into a bowl, and melt it on low heat using a double boiler (doesn't have to be fancy, I use a cereal bowl over a tiny pot - just make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom).

In a separate bowl again per person get 2 egg yolks, 2.5tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp vinegar (pref. white wine) and mix together - add a TINY bit of salt and pepper. A tablespoon at a time, take the melted butter and stir it into this mix until about a quarter of the butter is mixed, then pour it all back into the double boiler and -this is key- stir more or less continuously, and make sure to not miss ANY parts of the side/bottom of the boiler. It's egg yolk, so overcooking it just the tiniest bit can cause it to curdle* - the egg yolks become solid, which you don't want. Also use a fork for this, it is better at getting to all the sides/corners, and when the sauce starts sticking between the tines, that's when it's just about done. Takes about 10-15 minutes total depending on volume.

*There is a small chance to salvage it if you overcook. Add a tsp of water per serving (no more than two or the sauce will completely split and become useless), and sometimes if it looks to have got too thick, pouring it into a cold bowl, stirring the steam out and leaving it to cool can bring it back to 'decent' if not perfect.

Then sprinkle a tiny bit of parsley on top when it's all done to look like a pretentious git. :pac:

---

Might sound daunting, but it's not - I'm just crap at explaining things :p. Experiment on the poached eggs when you're just doing them for eggs on toast of something. Took me about 3-5 trial runs to get the timing right, but it only takes 3-4 minutes so there's no big commitment lost or anything. Plus when you get the knack of it with the ladel, if you ever find youself making a lot of eggs for some reason (big family breakfast?) it's the easiest and quickest way to cook them all together, and actually come out looking fancy like you put extra effort in at the end of it all :D. Mess around and see if you can get the hollandaise done when you're cooking other stuff - it goes with pretty much anything. Great on steak, chicken and green veg in particular. Along with that pesto/cream sauce someone posted a few pages back, I could probably drink a pint of the stuff and come back for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loopy wrote: »
    Bangers & mash

I always want your dinners when I see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Really rich beef casserole/stew.

I have never been lucky cooking anything with stewing beef in it because I always end up taking it out of the oven too early so the meat's as tough as old boots, but I was delighted tonight because it turned out lovely!

The meat was tender and tasty and the whole thing was lovely.
    I boiled some baby potatoes separately and just added them to the finished dish.

Lovely and perfect on such a cold day :)

Sorry it looks a bit messy.

2nlhevn.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I recently saw a recipe for hollandaise sauce made in the microwave that was getting great recommendations on reddit. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-20/entertainment/8703030429_1_hollandaise-stable-mixture-oil-droplets is it, from 1987 no less! Apparently it's great but I never have cause to make hollandaise so I haven't tried it yet. Would be really interested in feedback on it!

What can you have hollandaise with besides eggs Benedict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Faith wrote: »
    I recently saw a recipe for hollandaise sauce made in the microwave that was getting great recommendations on reddit. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-20/entertainment/8703030429_1_hollandaise-stable-mixture-oil-droplets is it, from 1987 no less! Apparently it's great but I never have cause to make hollandaise so I haven't tried it yet. Would be really interested in feedback on it!

What can you have hollandaise with besides eggs Benedict?
    Fish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Hollandaise is good with salmon or asparagus. Its also a base sauce for a variety of other french sauces. Bearnaise is probably the best known, just add chopped tarragon. Its great with steak.

Fish!
    Chicken, steak, green veg... it probably goes with more stuff than it doesn't. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Myself and himself just spent the last 2.5 hours preparing 24 days' dinners in advance for the slow cooker. All going into the freezer now, then the bag can be put into the fridge to defrost the night before we want it, then chucked into the slow cooker in the morning.

We made massaman chicken curry, bolognaise, lamb stew, butternut squash & chickpea curry, chorizo & bean stew and teriyaki chicken. Absolutely knackered now but our freezer is full and we are happy!

IMG_5518_zpscf1271dd.jpg

There's my slow cooker in the corner - got it as a gift last month and am already smitten. Great addition to the kitchen.

IMG_5519_zpsa085920e.jpg

Genius idea, wish I was that organised! :p

Myself and himself just spent the last 2.5 hours preparing 24 days' dinners in advance for the slow cooker. All going into the freezer now, then the bag can be put into the fridge to defrost the night before we want it, then chucked into the slow cooker in the morning.

We made massaman chicken curry, bolognaise, lamb stew, butternut squash & chickpea curry, chorizo & bean stew and teriyaki chicken. Absolutely knackered now but our freezer is full and we are happy!

There's my slow cooker in the corner - got it as a gift last month and am already smitten. Great addition to the kitchen.
    That's an impressive amount of work!
    I presume there was no cooking involved, just prepping?
    Also do you have to have an actual slow cooker to do em, slow cooking?

• Advertisement

That's an impressive amount of work!
    I presume there was no cooking involved, just prepping?
    Also do you have to have an actual slow cooker to do em, slow cooking?

Thanks! Didn't cook anything, just lots of chopping and mixing and throwing things in bags.

We did the meals specifically for the slow cooker but I'm sure you could use the oven or the stove either. I just liked the idea of being able to put it in the machine in the morning, go to work and then come home to a hot dinner.

Homemade cider, where did you get that spice rack?

Homemade cider, where did you get that spice rack?

My cousin made it for me as a birthday gift, he is a professional carpenter so I got lucky! I spent ages trying to find one until I gave up and he came to the rescue; all the ones i found were either too small, or a bonkers shape, or shiny chrome, or too modern etc etc (yes I am very fussy). Sorry I wasn't much help!

My cousin made it for me as a birthday gift, he is a professional carpenter so I got lucky! I spent ages trying to find one until I gave up and he came to the rescue; all the ones i found were either too small, or a bonkers shape, or shiny chrome, or too modern etc etc (yes I am very fussy). Sorry I wasn't much help!

I was afraid you'd say that! I'm also very fussy about spice racks and as a result, I don't have one!

Today's dinner - ribs in a spice rub cooked slowly for 8 hours, with some potato wedges on the side. Slightly too salty and very spicy but the meat was super tender so we enjoyed it.

ribs_zpsfb7a1c25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Tonight we had the aubergine mozzarella bake from the cooking club, gnocchi tossed in garlic pesto, and oven baked chicken coated in panko breadcrumbs. Apple crumble with cream for dessert, and a hot whiskey. Successful attempt at eating my way out of a hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's a brilliant idea homemadecider - I wish I was that organised!

I made a tuna, sweetcorn and black olive pasta bake from BBC Good Food last night. It was very tasty, I didn't realise you could use bechamel sauce in pasta bakes, it makes all the difference.

However, when I make this again, I won't add the 250g (!!!) of grated cheese that's in the recipe, that's just too indulgent for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I didn't realise you could use bechamel sauce in pasta bakes, it makes all the difference.

To my knowledge bechamel is a base for Mac n cheese.

That recipe you tried sounds lovely. I've never actually made tuna pasta bake. Would love to try it soon

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    To my knowledge bechamel is a base for Mac n cheese.

That recipe you tried sounds lovely. I've never actually made tuna pasta bake. Would love to try it soon
    There you go! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9649/tuna-pasta-bake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Chicken stir fry with peppers and mushrooms, served with rice, for us tonight.

Had a packet of spicy BBQ sauce from Marks and Spencer so used half of the sachet and a good splash of soy sauce.

Gorgeous stuff, simply, easy and cheap to make too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spatchcocked a chicken and put a paste of peanut butter, lime juice, a little sugar, oil & a chicken stock cube (which was there in loco soy sauce, need to purchase more soy) under the skin then roasted it. Had a breast, ooh Nurse, in a green salad with a dressing of peanut butter, lime juice & a little oil with some crushed wasabi peas on it. At the moment I have squash & baby potatoes roasting in the peanut-y, slightly lime-y, chicken fat-y, salty juices from the chicken to use in a salad for lunch tomorrow with the meat from the leg & thigh.

My partner will have the other half of the chicken with roasties when he gets in later. I am the luckiest person in the world because he doesn't like chicken skin so I've just eaten the skin of an entire chicken. Like an actual animal in the zoo. One of the happy looking ones.

Spatchcocked a chicken and put a paste of peanut butter, lime juice, a little sugar, oil & a chicken stock cube (which was there in loco soy sauce, need to purchase more soy) under the skin then roasted it. Had a breast, ooh Nurse, in a green salad with a dressing of peanut butter, lime juice & a little oil with some crushed wasabi peas on it. At the moment I have squash & baby potatoes roasting in the peanut-y, slightly lime-y, chicken fat-y, salty juices from the chicken to use in a salad for lunch tomorrow with the meat from the leg & thigh.

My partner will have the other half of the chicken with roasties when he gets in later. I am the luckiest person in the world because he doesn't like chicken skin so I've just eaten the skin of an entire chicken. Like an actual animal in the zoo. One of the happy looking ones.

Sweet Jesus, that sounds incredible. I'm on another fast day and I'm SO HUNGRY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sweet Jesus, that sounds incredible. I'm on another fast day and I'm SO HUNGRY!!

Have you got lovely food for tomorrow planned or is it best not to think that far ahead yet?

Have you got lovely food for tomorrow planned or is it best not to think that far ahead yet?

Right now I'm planning on eating everything in the world tomorrow. Realistically, we're having either stew or goulash for dinner, but right now I'm fantasising about K.C.s and various takeaways. The funny thing about the fasting though is we've both found our appetites are diminished the day after a fast! We fill out plates like starving orphans and then only eat half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

'Summer in Winter' prawns and chorizo, with a nice helping of pasta. Very tasty indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

lol - please don't keep torturing yourself like this! I feel bad for you.

My mother bought the Mimi Spencer recipe book, have you got it? Some really good stuff in there.

Animord wrote: »
    lol - please don't keep torturing yourself like this! I feel bad for you.

My mother bought the Mimi Spencer recipe book, have you got it? Some really good stuff in there.

No, but I might look into it! Our fast day meals all seem to be eaten from
    bowls - things like porridge and soup. I could definitely do with some variety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

No, but I might look into it! Our fast day meals all seem to be eaten from
    bowls - things like porridge and soup. I could definitely do with some variety!

Yep, bowls seem to figure quite highly in 5:2, is that what you are doing? I will have a look at the book this evening, and let you know whether it is worth buying. I could maybe scan something that looks good and you can have a bit of variety next week!

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    Yep, bowls seem to figure quite highly in 5:2, is that what you are doing? I will have a look at the book this evening, and let you know whether it is worth buying. I could maybe scan something that looks good and you can have a bit of variety next week!

Thank you! It's 5:2 indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement