Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm sure I saw Idris Alba fighting with that ^^^ in a huge robot?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Minder wrote: »
    I'm sure I saw Idris Alba fighting with that ^^^ in a huge robot?!?
    The tentacles are probably the best part. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night I did a trio of pork type of thing...

Pork Belly, chorizo and a honey & mustard sausage served with mashed sweet potato (touch of nutmeg) and just about boiled green string beans

Worked out well and was not overly filled which I had feared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Last night we went to Jamie Oliver's Italian place and shared a meat and cheese platter to start, with some bread with olive oil and balsamic. I was boring for my main and had lasagna (which was scrumptious) and the other half had tagliatelle in a buttery truffle sauce which was, to be fair, exquisite. For dessert we shared a chocolate orange tiramisu and we washed it all down with a bottle of prosecco.

Dinner tonight was salmon with a southwestern potato salad. Absolutely delicious. I made enough salad for lunch tomorrow but oops...we may have accidentally eaten all of it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Today I roasted a turkey crown with all the trimmings for 10 people, followed by husbands brownies and vanilla ice cream (and a hell of a lot of washing-up :P)

Anyone got any ideas for what I can do with the turkey leftovers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dolbert wrote: »
    Today I roasted a turkey crown with all the trimmings for 10 people, followed by husbands brownies and vanilla ice cream (and a hell of a lot of washing-up :P)

I watched Barefoot Contessa's Ina Garten made Turkey Hash with leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tonight was chicken, bacon and mushroom casserole with a tarragon sauce. Great comfort food for my shocking hangover.

282811.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made a Beef & Guinness stew in the slow cooker yesterday. First time adding stout to a stew and I'm converted, it was really good. Washed it down with a Tiger beer (probably not the best match, but it certainly hit the spot!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight I made a version of that summer in winter chicken that's been floating around. I added onions and garlic to the mix and diced the chicken. To be honest, I found it very bland. I used the best pesto I've ever had (the cheese guy at Mahon farmers market for any cork folk) but it just didn't work for me, even with plenty of seasoning. It was alright, but I wouldn't rush to make it again.

It also turned quite a nasty colour when the green pesto and red tomato juices combined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

For dinner tonight we had pork and beef meat balls in a tomato sauce with carrots, onions and mushrooms. Served with pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A really, really bad vegetable bake thing. Just entirely misconceived and containing very undercooked potatoes. Delightful! Will be eating more of it tomorrow as well because made rakes and can't be throwing food out. There's nothing so wrong with food that covering it in cheese can't fix though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

A really, really bad vegetable bake thing. Just entirely misconceived and containing very undercooked potatoes. Delightful! Will be eating more of it tomorrow as well because made rakes and can't be throwing food out. There's nothing so wrong with food that covering it in cheese can't fix though

If you nuke it a bit, the potato might soften up a bit. Better than nothing.

Dolbert wrote: »

Turkey balti for us last night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Faith wrote: »
    Tonight I made a version of that summer in winter chicken that's been floating around. I added onions and garlic to the mix and diced the chicken. To be honest, I found it very bland. I used the best pesto I've ever had (the cheese guy at Mahon farmers market for any cork folk) but it just didn't work for me, even with plenty of seasoning. It was alright, but I wouldn't rush to make it again.

It also turned quite a nasty colour when the green pesto and red tomato juices combined!

Hi Faith,

Sorry to hear that. I don't get any colour issues when I cook mine - I just use cherry tomatoes, did you?. I usually use 2:1 with creme fraiche:pesto also.

"One man's meat..." and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I haven't tasted it, that recipe that seems to be causing such glee around here does nothing for me either. I'm sure I'd eat it if put in front of me but nothing makes me want to cook it.
    Different strokes and all that, I suppose.

Water buffalo burger in ciabatta with a Jerusalem artichoke, apple, carrot, beetroot and ginger slaw. (jalapeños, gherkins and Frank's's hotsauce added after)

78qYMh.jpg

I used red pesto the second time and found it much tastier!

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Water buffalo burger in ciabatta with a Jerusalem artichoke, apple, carrot, beetroot and ginger slaw. (jalapeños, gherkins and Frank's's hotsauce added after)
    Burger looks awesome though I'd swap the ciabatta out for a soft bap!

awec wrote: »
    Burger looks awesome though I'd swap the ciabatta out for a soft bap!

The ciabatta was all wrong - too chewy altogether.
    Same baker used to do lovely soft ciabattas, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Chicken (paprika, cayenne pepper, chili flakes, S&P, breadcrumbs) cooked in the oven with mash, carrots and buttered leeks.

01CD9894-A85D-452E-85E9-D2EF0BDD8279_zpshortfg2l.jpg

• Advertisement

The ciabatta was all wrong - too chewy altogether.
    Same baker used to do lovely soft ciabattas, though.

I find ciabatta quite hard to eat. I find they're either too hard to too chewy.

Hard to get one that's right, so the only thing I really use them for now is bruschetta.

What do you put in your burger along with the meat out of interest? It looks incredibly juicy. I make beef burgers and usually put a dash of ale and some mustard in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Last night we had big steaming bowls of Ukrainian borscht. Made with chucks of pork. YUMMY.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

Sorry to hear that. I don't get any colour issues when I cook mine - I just use cherry tomatoes, did you?. I usually use 2:1 with creme fraiche:pesto also.

"One man's meat..." and all that!

I cooked the tomatoes down a bit so that might have been why the juice came out. I used cherry tomatoes. I did a 2:1 ratio but 2 pesto: 1 creme fraiche and I felt the creme fraiche was still too strongly flavoured.

Just different tastes I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

lisatu wrote: »
    Last night we had big steaming bowls of Ukrainian borscht. Made with chucks of pork. YUMMY.
    Sounds fab!

My Russian pals had me over for dinner on Sunday - lovely piroshkyi (like little pasties filled with mashed spud, onions & mushrooms) that you dip in oil mixed with dill & garlic, salo (thinly sliced salted pork fat) & some whacky Russian salads (chopped chicken, pineapple & mayo anybody? :)).

Tonight I'm having a spicy chicken soup with scallions, bamboo shoots & bean sprouts, & lots of ginger for a dodgy tummy.

awec wrote: »

What do you put in your burger along with the meat out of interest? It looks incredibly juicy. I make beef burgers and usually put a dash of ale and some mustard in.

You'd have to ask my butcher that.
    I don't bother making them when I can get them that good at a good price -€2 for the water buffalo ones €1 for his regular beef ones (a bit smaller, though). All made fresh daily. Part of the reason it looks juicy is that it's not overcooked.
    I think the only ingredients are minced meat, fat, seasoning and a little parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Sounds fab!

My Russian pals had me over for dinner on Sunday - lovely piroshkyi (like little pasties filled with mashed spud, onions & mushrooms) that you dip in oil mixed with dill & garlic, salo (thinly sliced salted pork fat) & some whacky Russian salads (chopped chicken, pineapple & mayo anybody? :)).

Tonight I'm having a spicy chicken soup with scallions, bamboo shoots & bean sprouts, & lots of ginger for a dodgy tummy.

Love piroshkyi but without the mushrooms for me. My husband is from a former Soviet Union country so lots of Russian/Ukrainian influences in foods I learned from my in-laws. Never had a chicken and pineapple salad though.

I don't bother making them when I can get them that good at a good price -€2 for the water buffalo ones €1 for his regular beef ones (a bit smaller, though). All made fresh daily. Part of the reason it looks juicy is that it's not overcooked.
    I think the only ingredients are minced meat, fat, seasoning and a little parsley.

It's a pity your butcher wasn't Dublin based. :(

What butchers did you say it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Stirfried chicken & veg (kale, carrot, spinach & mushrooms) with those zero calorie noodles, soy & chili bean sauce. Last ditch attempt not to look like a lady santa claus this christmas kicking in.

cce16a01-685d-4c48-9ba9-ebbf619fdc49_zps253e4f2f.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

What do those noodles taste like?

I ask because we're dieting too. Dinner was pizza, potato wedges, garlic mayo, wine and some Toblerone for dessert. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement