Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

dipdip wrote: »
    What do those noodles taste like?

I ask because we're dieting too. Dinner was pizza, potato wedges, garlic mayo, wine and some Toblerone for dessert. :pac:

They don't really taste of anything! Texture is halfway between beansprout and noodle but they aren't bad at all, nice with a flavoursome sauce and filling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I went all out and had a rasher sambo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Water buffalo burger in ciabatta with a Jerusalem artichoke, apple, carrot, beetroot and ginger slaw. (jalapeños, gherkins and Frank's's hotsauce added after)

That slaw looks amazing!
    Stirfried chicken & veg (kale, carrot, spinach & mushrooms) with those zero calorie noodles, soy & chili bean sauce. Last ditch attempt not to look like a lady santa claus this christmas kicking in.

Where to buy these noodles??:D

gg2 wrote: »
    Where to buy these noodles??:D

I got these ones in the Asian market just at the Moore street entrance to the Ilac centre (Dublin), look for konnyaku on packets (which is the flavourless, nutrition-free yam mush they are made from) or shirataki which is what the yam mush is called when it's made into noodle shape.

6925730570170.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BDJW wrote: »
    I went all out and had a rasher sambo :pac:

I had a sausage sambo last night. :cool:

Sometimes these things are called for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I got these ones in the Asian market just at the Moore street entrance to the Ilac centre (Dublin), look for konnyaku on packets (which is the flavourless, nutrition-free yam mush they are made from) or shirataki which is what the yam mush is called when it's made into noodle shape.

6925730570170.jpg

How much do they cost? Holland & Barrett have similar, they're really pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh man... One of the tastiest dinners I've ever made (which is no *great* compliment, but still!)

Roasted chicken and chorizo with spuds and tomatoes, all cooked in the one dish. Really, really delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had some interesting dining experiences in the last week.

Friday afternoon - dinner with client at Veeraswamy, oldest Indian restaurant in London. Side dish of pineapple curry was a clear winner.

Saturday, homemade pizza using a beer based dough.

Sunday, annual boys get together in London. Lunch at Galvins' restaurant - La Chapelle. Beautiful venue. Starter was their signature crab lasagna. A feather light crab and scallop mousse in between light layers of pasta, topped with some sauted mushrooms. I should have ordered it again for the main course. Perfection.

Main course was a venison rump on braised red cabbage with stir fried savoy cabbage. There was a nondescript smear of puree that may have been potato and a sticky red sauce. The venison was very soft and tender, but lacked any real depth of flavour and was crying out for a grind of salt and a few minutes on the hot plate to give it a bit of a crust. Disappointed.

Dessert was cheese board. Nothing special, some good goats cheese and a descent blue but the epoisses was off. Verdict. I wouldn't go back. But happy to find the crab lasagna recipe in their cookbook.

Monday. Client lunch at Mark Hix Oyster Chop House. Compared to the previous day, the restaurant was a little down market, but the food!!! Bloody amazing.

Starter was a smoked cod chowder with a crispy hens egg. The egg was poached, crumbed and deep fried. Yolk was still perfect. Main course was mutton curry with toasted cumin rice. The sauce was like silk. Great flavour from the meat.

Monday night was a little homemade pumpkin risotto made with a crown prince squash that had sprung up in one of the flower beds in the garden in the late summer. We left it grow and I pulled it last week. Only one pumpkin on it but it was very good.

Tonight we had a pumpkin curry with toasted cumin rice.

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    How much do they cost? Holland & Barrett have similar, they're really pricey though

€2 for a 200gm pack. Although quite a lot of that 200gms might be the water they're floating in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

€2 for a 200gm pack. Although quite a lot of that 200gms might be the water they're floating in!

I got them last year on Amazon. There were expensive enough and I know some people think they are ok, but I must say I didn't like them at all. I gave them a few goes - but in the end just decided that extra vegetables and a few Buckwheat noodles were a better option for when I have a noodle-need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I made a Coq au vin (blanc) in the slow cooker. The recipe I have calls for some cream to be added at the end but I totally forgot about it but it still tasted yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    What butchers did you say it is?

O Mahony's, English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Picked razor clams on the beach today and flash fried them with ginger, spring onions and ramen noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Still cheaper than H&B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

O Mahony's, English Market.

Have to go to the market tomorrow anyway, will have to have a look here - you should ask them for commission!

Part of tonight's dinner is currently being defrosted in the oven, dunno when I'm gonna get to eat...chicken, mushrooms, onions and gnocchi in cream and pesto. Had it last week and have been looking forward to it again since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm heading away for the weekend to a Christmas market in Germany so I'm trying to use up what's in the fridge and not buy food. Tonight was grilled mackerel, roast sweet and normal potato cubes, and green beans with garlic. Tomorrow I have to devise something out of pesto, raspberry jam and a questionable looking turnip

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Potato bake with spinach, leeks, broccoli, mushrooms and cheese.

283252.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had roast pork belly with mashed spuds, peas and gravy.

Tonight we had chicken stir-fry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Fridge Bingo tonight...3 slices Brennans Batch..Toasted
    1st slice buttered, sliced boiled egg, Mayo, Aromat. 2nd slice of batch on top and buttered..2 thick slices crumbed ham, sliced tomato, onion, huge handful of grated cheddar. 3rd slice of Batch buttered and with a generous dash of brown sauce placed on top, transfer to a plate and nuke it on full till cheese oozes out the sides. let sit till not scalding, warm milkey coffee and Top Gear on TV...Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Fish pie, OMG it was so lovely! And loads left for the lunch today. My toddler loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We went for dinner with friends. Carbfest. Vegetable risotto with home-made bread rolls followed by mud pie. Tasty but I missed the protein element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made tagliatelle with spinach, mascarpone and parmesan last night courtesy of Jamie. It was heavy, indulgent and delicious. I added mushrooms too. It's a decent veggie option for mid-week

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/tagliatelle-with-spinach-mascarpone-and-parmesan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had another go on fish and chips this evening, this time Heston's recipe for the batter, but without using the soda syphon cause I couldn't be arsed to buy one for the sake of it.

2013-12-05202118_zps8b076fe7.jpg

It was, the most crispy batter I've ever tasted, so light too, coating the cod just about, without the excess lumpy uncooked batter I'd often get from the chipper. Serious layers and layers of airy crunch.
    I'm a happy woman :-)
    However, the chips weren't my best for some reason, otherwise the whole could've been a perfect ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pub dinner tonight. Braised lamb shank in red wine jus. Had a first proper Christmas pint with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had striploin steaks with chips with a brandy, cream, mushroom and onion sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had corned beef with kale, mashed potatoes and parsley sauce. I brined a 3kg piece of brisket for 10 days in a 10% salt brine solution. By far the best brine I've tried to date. After 4 hours in the pot with barely a murmur on the surface as it ticked by on the lowest heat, it was beautifully soft, tender and moist. No heavy salty after taste, this recipe is a keeper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had slow cooked lamb stew with mash tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My first ever attempt at risotto, even though it's one of my all-time favourite dishes, ever since I spent a fabulous summer waitressing at a gorgeous Italian restaurant in Kerry. Time-consuming, but simple, and it turned out really well. Joy.

Raided the Hophouse for more Bibimbap last night. So tasty. Sliiiiiiightly tainted by the table of people having an Obnoxious Laugh Competition beside us. Don't like being a crabby death-glare-throwing person in restaurants but these guys were just unreal. It was that kind of braying that brings to mind a donkey sanctuary or the members dining room in the Hibernia Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stirfried minced pork, ginger, garlic, red and green chillies, preserved black beans, onion, spring onion, toasted cashew nuts, Chinese leaves, green beans, reduced chicken stock, soy sauce, rice wine fresh coriander and spring onion greens to serve. Rice vermicelli.

85VQxK.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement