Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Quiche Lorraine, which was very tasty, and it got the baby "seal of approval" too!
    It's great now he can eat the same stuff as us!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honey and mustard glazed free range ham, bacon fat fried cabbage, mash with leeks, parsley sauce.

4Ty65E.jpg

8iwetb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm just back from a weekend in Hamburg where I mostly ate curry-wurst. I also discovered a great market stall selling mashed potato with a selection of toppings, I ended up having sour cream, grated cheese, ham, crispy fried onions, sweet corn, sundried tomato and parsley, absolutely gorgeous and not something I've seen before. The stallholder said the product was his own invention. Definitely something I'll try to replicate at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

kenco wrote: »
    \Lidl lobster

That was never gonna end well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quiche Lorraine, which was very tasty, and it got the baby seal of approval too!

Is it a pet baby seal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Water buffalo tail casseroled with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, ginger, fresh herbs, red wine, tinned tomatoes. Served with wet polenta. Sweet mother, it was tasty - lick the pattern off the plate tasty (if my plates had patterns:rolleyes:).

6aNgqX.jpg

Another absolute cracker. No pressure but please post on Dec 26th ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Trial run of half of xmas dinner. Honey glazed ham, Dauphinoise potatoes and carrots sautéed in butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Fillet steak fried with balsamic vinegar, chili potato wedges, rocket and sliced parmasean salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crispy bacon and sausage rolls with English mustard and burnt onions :)

2jeo9hd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast a leg of lamb, roast spuds served with sauteed mushrooms and some roast parsnips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight was nice and simple and clean

Steak, Asparagus with garlic and green beans.

SAM_0577_zpsbd1f074b.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tonight i had fish pie, and there's enough left for 2 more days. I'll stick up a pic tomorrow. It's one of Faith's recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Quiche Lorraine, which was very tasty, and it got the baby "seal of approval" too!

I still remember the day that I gave HB Jr I chicken with black bean sauce & noodles for dinner (around 8 mo) & I was overjoyed when he demolished it. No more boring chicken stews!

He is 11 now & eats whatever we put in front of him. He even takes his curries almost as spicy as myself.

beertons wrote: »
    Tonight i had fish pie, and there's enough left for 2 more days. I'll stick up a pic tomorrow. It's one of Faith's recipes.

Did a fish pie yesterday, finish it off tomorrow.

Cod, 2 boiled eggs, half onion, mashed potato, pot of cream, various garnishings and grated cheese.

and as if by the magic of an edit

2lmv1gn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

mike65 wrote: »
    Crispy bacon and sausage rolls with English mustard and burnt onions :)

I know there are a lot of beautiful meals posted here daily, but at this hour of the morning, seeing those rolls...mmm...I admit my mouth actually watered. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I still remember the day that I gave HB Jr I chicken with black bean sauce & noodles for dinner (around 8 mo) & I was overjoyed when he demolished it. No more boring chicken stews!

He is 11 now & eats whatever we put in front of him. He even takes his curries almost as spicy as myself.
    It's great isn't it?
    I gave him my homemade chicken curry last week, he demolished it as well.

We really are lucky that he'll eat anything, it's very easy to feed him. And now that he has the teeth to chew, it's even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I was invited by some friends for Berner Platte - a traditional local dish of boiled sausage, tongue & different cuts of ham & beef. All of this served with potatoes, warm sauerkraut & green beans.

My hosts also run one of the top cocktail bars here in Bern, so we had plenty of wonderful drinks to wash the whole lot down.

284038.png

284039.png

dipdip wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of beautiful meals posted here daily, but at this hour of the morning, seeing those rolls...mmm...I admit my mouth actually watered. :pac:

It was particularly satisfying at eat as well! I made sausages up from a couple of standard ones de-skinned and squished into a large hot dog. Go on do it - you know you want to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I indianed.

uAwH8sx.jpg

I went looking for Nigella seeds for my naans;my local indian supermarket had "kal jeera" which sometimes go by the same name but are not the same thing; fortunately they make really really good rice seasoning, plus I got mine for free because they were a scrap out of date so the very nice shopkeeper just gave 'em away to me :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Here's what's left of the fish pie.

D0D8325C62DE409AB7CA60F637C1D290-0000324795-0003453369-00800L-A6FD7E6B21AB49A5A3E23C76EE55BAAA.jpg

And in case you are looking for the recipe, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83474215&postcount=6 , and I used mustard instead of mayo in the spuds. I left in onion and garlic in the mix too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Last night I did lamb gigot chops in the slow cooker on a bed of veg and some red wine. I made a sauce with the juices and served it with colcannon cakes. It was gorgeous.
    Tonight I reheated a mediocre butternut squash risotto and added sage, smoked bacon and goat's cheese. The result was oozy and delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm out and about a lot this week (and not in a glamorous, pre-Christmas frock-cocktails-kiss-kiss-darling-this-time-of-year-again sort of a way, fun activities include 'Returning a Rug') so I'm eating on the hoof and not cooking very much. Last night was a paleo box (slow cooked beef, spinach, avocado, cottage cheese, hazelnuts & a chili & cocoa dressing) from Pablo Picante

5fede1f9-0811-4e54-89d0-1894be45cb80_zps937781e5.jpg

Really tasty but a gargantuan portion that I couldn't finish. This never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

^ That looks and sounds amazing!

Last night I had Yo Sushi (love sushi but first time eating in a Yo Sushi). Went for the three dishes for €10 option, had spicy squid, salmon nigiri and prawn nigiri. Nice and tasty and I enjoyed the whole 'experience'. Fun, quick, cheap eating.

I love how you feel so full but not bloated after sushi.

Another dinner in a box today, burrito bowl with pico de gallo and hot salsa

BC0A72E1-26D7-40A8-982D-68F76961C75F_zpsbmm5uaek.jpg.

Now off to the rugquarium

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm out and about a lot this week (and not in a glamorous, pre-Christmas frock-cocktails-kiss-kiss-darling-this-time-of-year-again sort of a way, fun activities include 'Returning a Rug') so I'm eating on the hoof and not cooking very much. Last night was a paleo box (slow cooked beef, spinach, avocado, cottage cheese, hazelnuts & a chili & cocoa dressing) from Pablo Picante

Really tasty but a gargantuan portion that I couldn't finish. This never happens.

Any chance you pm me a recipe or post it up here? That looks amazing and right up my street in terms of my strict eating habits.

Have some slow cooked chicken on for tonight's dinner myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Any chance you pm me a recipe or post it up here? That looks amazing and right up my street in terms of my strict eating habits.

Have some slow cooked chicken on for tonight's dinner myself.

She mentioned it's from Pablo Picante's!

Yep, it's from Pablo Picante. I think I have a photo of the list of ingredients somewhere (being weird about food photos has its benefits!) will see if I can dig it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight I have a creamy garlicky cheesy potato gratin in the oven. At the last minute I'm going to grill some loin lamb chops for just a few minutes under a blazing hot grill until the fat is crispy but the inside still pink. A bit of broccoli might shnake its way onto our plates too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had ciabatta with olive oil, sirloin steak and blackened onions served with smashed garlic baby potatoes - yummy! No pics cause my presentation is terrible

• Advertisement

Ok, so this is exactly what's in the paleo box

steak strips [this was chunks of slow cooked beef in mine], rocket & spinach, guacamole, black bean purée, toasted crushed hazelnuts, pickled onion, mustard dressing, cottage cheese, chilli cacao dusting (only available in Pablo's Tortas at 5 Clarendon right now amigos)

Black bean puree - never made this but checked a few recipes and you can get yourself a puree by blending a tin of black beans with a couple of teaspoons of oil

Pickled Onions - my Yucatan cookbook (which has many interesting recipes, including for crickets) has a basic picked onion recipe which goes. Thinly slice 2 red onions, put in a colander and pour boiling water over them, then put in a jar with 1.5 cups of vinegar, 10 peppercorns, a sprinkling of salt and 1.5 tsps of white vinegar. Leave for 6 hours before using. Alternately I sometimes I just slice up a red onion, pour vinegar over and leaving for max of 20 minutes before scooping onto my salad.

For the meat bit something like Sparks' pulled pork in there would probably be epic. I've never made this exact salad at home but I have tried to lazily rip it off and when I do that I normally fry steak strips and mix in a large bow with spinach leaves, toasted nuts that I crush by putting them into a tea towel and working out my daily irritants on them by bashing them with a mug, chunks of avocado, a few tablespoons of cottage cheese, a squeeze of lime juice,bit of walnut or olive oil and some juicy tomatoes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement