Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

We had chinese beef curry - homemade version with Wing Yip curry concentrate - makes spot-on take-away style chinese curry - beef, onions, peas, water, soy sauce. Dinner in 30 minutes, which was good because I didn't get home until after 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Minder wrote: »
    We had chinese beef curry - homemade version with Wing Yip curry concentrate - makes spot-on take-away style chinese curry - beef, onions, peas, water, soy sauce. Dinner in 30 minutes, which was good because I didn't get home until after 8pm.

Sounds lovely, I've heard off this Wing Yip before, can you get it anywhere handy in Ireland?

I had lamb bolognese sauce on freshly baked roasted garlic bread with fried baby potatoes last night. It was lovely!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Sounds lovely, I've heard off this Wing Yip before, can you get it anywhere handy in Ireland?

Sorry, I don't know where to get it. This thread has some useful alternatives to Wing Yip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Donegal Catch, tinned corn and oven chips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fillet steak marinated in Teriyake marinade, sautéed onion and mushrooms, and mash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

tapas...

Tortilla espanola with mushrooms and onions, garlic olives, hummous, chickpea salad with honey and balsamic vinegar, sundried tomatoes and brown bread.
    I'd eat it all now again if it was put in front of me!!

Lamb curry from Rick Steins Food Heroes. I'm having the rest for lunch at work - which makes me very popular as the aroma of curry wafts up and down the corridors:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade garlic-y lamb burger with garlic potatoes and salad.

Had a couple of cracking meals today - brunch was herrings in oatmeal with buttered brown bread. Rick Stein recommends frying a little bacon before frying the herring - then eat both together. No bacon to be found in the fridge, but the herring was delicious anyway.

This evening we had a stew of butter beans, leeks and sweet potatoes with rosemary. French bread toasted with garlic and gruyere cheese and a rocket salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Stew sounds nice. Did you use tinned, dried, frozen or fresh butter beans? Recipe!

I made a roast leg of lamb for guests on Friday, did dinner for eight. Went down extremely well. Lamb was with garlic, rosemary and anchovies, and made both a lamb gravy and a rosemary and onion white sauce. Sides were mash, snips, squash, cauliflower and green beans, variously boiled, roasted or steamed.

The gravy was da bomb - I balanced my leg of lamb on three halved onions, and between the onion halves I piled a paste of mashed garlic, anchovy and rosemary. Then a little water in the pan, then cover with tinfoil. The result at the end of roasting is this marvellous flavoured liquid in the pan, to which I add lamb stock and flour.

So everyone waffled it on Friday, and one leg of lamb just about feeds eight hungry people, but I still fancied more of it so I cooked the same thing again on Sunday for lunch, this time for just four of us. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had Organic Fillet Steak with steamed veg and carrot and parsnip mash with baby potatoes.. Followed by sticky toffee pudding and cream..

Homemade lamb burgers (laced with garlic) and garlic potato gratin, served with a side salad. Yum! I can't go close to anyone until tomorrow though, due to my garlic breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »
    Homemade lamb burgers (laced with garlic) and garlic potato gratin, served with a side salad. Yum! I can't go close to anyone until tomorrow though, due to my garlic breath.

I'm the same. I had loads of garlic in my pasta for dinner to cover up the smell of onions from the Onion and Gruyère Tart I had for lunch. Not the greatest plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had a chicken breast cooked in a mixture of pesto and créme fresh with softened chery tomatoes and crispy baby potatoes with rosmary.

Tonight I had chicken in the New Delhi Housewives sauce that the Bombay Pantry do, the cook-it-yourself sauce. As an alternative to rice I had sautéed brocolli and carrot in sesame oil, garlic, onion and caraway seeds.

I must confess my mother made both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hot roast chicken sandwich & a mug of tea.

Wholewheat pasta with fried chopped bacon, garlic and petit pois, dressed in creme fraiche.

Baked Haddock with baby potatoes and salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Southern Thai Masaman curry, deep-fried duck's mouths with garlic and basil, glass noodle-filled spring rolls and a mint vienetta for dessert. AROY

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

suasage stew

no sexual remarks please lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had plain pasta with just a little butter and a self-saucing choc pudding my bf tried to make me but it didn't quite work. I ate it anyway.

I'm sick at the moment and my appetite is always the first thing to go. It all tasted like sawdust!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ate out yesterday while out at cinema. (My default food when I go somewhere I've never eaten before, and which I don't particularly believe is going to be a fantastic eatery, is to order the spaghetti carbonara from the menu. I'll consistently get some variety of garlicky, creamy sauce with pasta, something I find palatable. It's rarely anything to do with "real" carbonara per se, but it usually fills a gap.)

Went to the Asian supermarkets in Prahran yesterday and spent $90 stocking up (which isn't a big spend considering what I get for it). Either dried goods - spices, herbs, noodles, rice paper - or bottles like fish sauce, ketjap manus, chili sauce, rice wine, soy, chili bean paste, chili paste and so on.

Quite fancy something from the cinnamon club cookbook this week I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Whiting fillets en-papillote with baby new potatoes & salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have literally just finished eating Turkey sandwiches. But its not that simple!!! I actually roasted my own turkey today by myself for the first time ever and it tasted amazing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

I have literally just finished eating Turkey sandwiches. But its not that simple!!! I actually roasted my own turkey today by myself for the first time ever and it tasted amazing!!!!
    well done you!!lol! it really aint that easy,but sayin that,im pretty hopeless cook too!lol good 4 ya!

We had a lovely roast chicken salad with a baked potato and sour cream

A summer risotto with fresh peas, broad beans and basil. I double peeled the broadbeans to have only the sweet green centre inside the leathery jacket of each bean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Butternut squash, courgette and vine tomato veggie stew.
    I outdid myself. Yum, yum, yum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

all these dinners here...i feel very un-posh! lol
    i was to lazy yesterday,so i had a ham salad roll...thats it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night I had chinese take-away.

On Tuesday I had salmon fillets with potato gratins made from baby new potatoes and peas from my own garden. Tasted delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we had chicken sausages in a tomato based pasta thing. I'm still sick so my OH very obligingly cooked. He "cooked it exactly the way I normally do" but it really didn't taste the same or of anything at all! I don't know what he did with it.... I think this kind of thing shows why I cook and he washes up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement