Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poor watna. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Working very late last night, so only had time to grab a quick burger & chips before bedtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Poor watna. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Working very late last night, so only had time to grab a quick burger & chips before bedtime.

Thanks Billy!

/drools thinking of Irish chipper chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jerk chicken, chips and a tomato & rocket salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had spicy hot chicken wings for lunch yesterday, with a side of beans and rice. Nothing too inspirational going on in the cooking department at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Battered cod for lunch today (nice food in work for once!) and pea risotto for dinner. I'm still full.

• Advertisement

A big ol' platter of cheeses (brie, mature cheddar, etc) & charcuterie with crackers, oatcakes & a nice red on Saturday.

BBQ - Burgers & T-bones on Sunday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Marinated spicey duck breasts with red cabbage and potato rosti.

Picked up a new gas bbq yesterday so I'll be blitzing that if the weather holds up...

My mother in law's homemade lamb curry and roti. Yum yum.

She roasts and grinds her own spices. She gave me a nice big bag for my own so I think I need to practive some good curry cooking. She's going to teach me how to make proper authentic Indian roti this weekend so that's a good start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sounds gooood. Something in the air must be - have just made a beef madras with steamed rice and daal for supper this evening.

Sounds gooood. Something in the air must be - have just made a beef madras with steamed rice and daal for supper this evening.

Yum, I love daal.

As my mother in law is Hindu she believes that beef if evil. Having to listen to her talk about why beef is so bad (she claims that it's raised badly) and why lamb is the best meat is a pain I have to bear for good curry! There is a serious case of biting my tongue though. Fair enough if she chooses not to eat it but telling me I shouldn't is another thing.

Last time we went for dinner together myself and my OH ordered steak just to se her reaction!

You really can't beat a good bit of beef.

• Advertisement

Beef is evil? I thought Hindu's revered the cow. From wiki...
    Observant Hindus who do eat meat almost always abstain from beef. The largely pastoral Vedic people and subsequent generations relied heavily on the cow for protein-rich milk and dairy products, tilling of fields and as a provider of fuel and fertilizer. Thus it was identified as a caretaker and a maternal figure. Hindu society honors the cow as a symbol of unselfish giving. Cow-slaughter is legally banned in almost all states of India.

I also revere the cow - last night's dinner was sirloin steak, chips and a greek salad. Cooked the steak on a ridge pan on the wok burner in the garden. Seven kilowatts of heat really helps with that char-grilled texture on the meat while keeping it rare through the middle.

Minder wrote: »
    Beef is evil? I thought Hindu's revered the cow. From wiki...

I also revere the cow - last night's dinner was sirloin steak, chips and a greek salad. Cooked the steak on a ridge pan on the wok burner in the garden. Seven kilowatts of heat really helps with that char-grilled texture on the meat while keeping it rare through the middle.

Well, eating beef is evil. Not sure how she feels about cows in general!

Your steak sounds delicious. I think I need to make a trip to the butchers and have a steak night tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

French onion soup (with an obscene amount of butter in it). Lecker.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Rack of lamb with roasted new potatoes and mushrooms. Plus a giant salad.

On a slight side note: I've been in Canada for the last couple of weeks and ate a huge amount of sushi, I really wish that the sushi restaurants here were as good and as reasonably priced. Myself and himself gorged ourselves on a variety of fishy dishys for under $50 which works out at something like €30 euro with beers.

We also got a surf and turf consisting of a large fillet steak and half a lobster for $35 or €23. Wish we had prices like that in Ireland. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

long tray from the chinese for starters, moved onto a bottle of fanta with a french stick filled with pork liver and onion patete and finally a small curry...

i dont eat alot but when i do i eat enough to keep me going for the next week.

On a slight side note: I've been in Canada for the last couple of weeks and ate a huge amount of sushi, I really wish that the sushi restaurants here were as good and as reasonably priced. Myself and himself gorged ourselves on a variety of fishy dishys for under $50 which works out at something like €30 euro with beers.

Sounds fantastic, were you on the east or west coast? Would love to visit Canada again.

On topic, dinner was bbq bream, new potatoes and corn on the cob. Tonight I am cooking a birthday dinner for my other half - pan fried scallops on cauliflower puree, dressed salad. Main course is fillet steak with mushrooms in a red wine sauce, pomme puree and garlic french beans. Dessert is raspberry creme brulee.

Scallops were a roaring success - I tried Ramsays sultana and caper vinaigrette - equal parts sultana (White, golden or green) caper and water. Blitz and warm. Absolutely stunning.

Mixed grill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Duck a L'Orange. Savage stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Pasta with chilli, garlic, prawn and peas..YUM!! thanks subh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thai red curry.

Shepards pie the night before that.

• Advertisement

Pork chops, new potatoes & the most wonderful tomato, mozzarella & basil salad.

Mrs Billy made a "sausage" of the tomato & mozzarella with a basil leaf & tiny sprinkling of sea salt & cracked black pepper between each layer. A drizzle of good balsamic over the lot. Not only did it look fantastically 'cheffy', but the flavours were just incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pork chops, new potatoes & the most wonderful tomato, mozzarella & basil salad.

Mrs Billy made a "sausage" of the tomato & mozzarella with a basil leaf & tiny sprinkling of sea salt & cracked black pepper between each layer. A drizzle of good balsamic over the lot. Not only did it look fantastically 'cheffy', but the flavours were just incredible.

Hill Billy, my compliments to Mrs Billy for the caprese sausage. Had it as a side to tonights chicken risotto and it was very good. Glad to see the culnery expertise in the billy house hold is not confined to your good self!

Minder wrote: »
    Sounds fantastic, were you on the east or west coast? Would love to visit Canada again.

We were in Vancouver which has apparently more sushi places per head than any of the Japanese cities. I also tried beef sashimi while we were there and it was quite possibly one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth. I really, really wish someone was brave enough to put this on the menu somewhere here in Ireland.
    s&mbarbie wrote: »
    Pasta with chilli, garlic, prawn and peas..YUM!! thanks subh!

Yes, this is what we had for dinner last night, though there were also mushrooms involved. :) We're just grazing this evening as the jet lag is effecting both of our appetites.

Tonight we got kebabs on the way home from work from this amazing kebab place that unfortunately I have to walk past to get to the bus. (it's so hard to resist, especially when the weather is miserable!)

I had a falafel one with yoghurt and chilli sauce and it was delicious.

I want another one! :)

kenco wrote: »
    Glad to see the culnery expertise in the billy house hold is not confined to your good self!
    You & me both kenco. And about bloody time too! :D

TBH - Neither of us knew that there was such a thing as a "caprese sausage". Herself just made it up. Needless to say, she got a well deserved wink & a pat on the backside for it.

Last night we had a re-run of the cheeses & charcuterie with a salad of pine nuts, feta, sun-blushed tomatoes & baby leaves. All washed down with a delictable Hunter Valley cabernet sauvignon (name escapes me).

Had a bigish lunch yesterday so decided on a lightish dish when the kids were in bed. Went for Antipasta (parma, chorizo, etc) with some cheese, olives and toms served with sliced french stick. Very nice indeed and a pleasant alternative to a main meal! Pity about the weather as it would have been even better outdoors

Last night I marinated chicken breasts in my new homely grown herbs from outside. They came out delicious. Mix of thyme and sage with salt & pepper in olive oil and lemon juice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crêpesagne - lasagne, but with crêpes instead of pasta

Last night was rushed as we were heading out to Tom Waits. Sirloin and parmentier spuds (all from M&S). Ok but no more.

Tonight was better but due to the newborn being unsettled we ate on the landing! Pan fried/poached (still working that one out) whole sea bream with a sauce (from the pan) of toms, basil, chilli and garlic. Served with baby spuds in olive olive, thyme and sea salt and a steamed veg side. Worked out very well indeed

BTW is it just me or are whole fish prices in the supermarkets quite low recently???

• Advertisement

Also a fishie night for us this evening. Grilled sea trout with buttered spinach and homemade oven chips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement