Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we had roast duck and tomorrow I plan to make a stock from the leftovers and use it in a soup for tomorrow's dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast lamb dinner with all trimmings. Dessert was Ramsay's souffle pancakes with rhubarb and ginger compote.

Last night I made a green soup, with the duck stock, pak choi, frozen peas and spinach, fresh leeks, a carrot and a potato. It was good last night but really good today.

Tonight's dinner was roast chicken with more green soup and homemade bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fried chicken & bacon with mushrooms & onions in a sour cream sauce with tagliatelli.

Last night we had nasi goreng fried rice and a second dish called san choy ban - this is a mixture of minced chicken, water chestnuts, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, chilli, ginger, soy and shaoshing wine. Cooked until dry and piled into gem lettuce leaves - great finger food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

san choy ban - is that another name for yuk sung?

yes, san choy ban is another name for yuk sung - or at least they appear very similar from the recipes i can find on the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Crêpesagne - lasagne, but with crêpes instead of pasta

That's one of the sexiest thing's I've ever seen.

Awesome.

Made chicken pie last night with the remainders of the roast chicken. Leftovers for lunch today. Tonight we're having pizza, as I've been feeling under the weather all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Due to various shenanigans of the last few weeks, yesterday I opened the fridge to find two carcasses from roast chickens, a whole leg of lamb, a half leg lamb, various veggies and bits and pieces needing to be used up.

I took the chicken carcasses and veggies and put a stock pot on, and I can use the chicken stock today and tomorrow in risotto. I cut the shank off the leg of lamb and roasted the rest of it plain with sea salt, and basted it with pomegranate molasses towards the end of cooking. I butterflied the shoulder and roasted it with cumin, salt and paprika.

Then I made couscous to go with it. I boiled the lamb shank and the bone from the half leg to make stock. Then I sweated one onion off in a little oil until soft. Pour over a 400g tin tomatoes. Add a 400g tin of chick peas, a handful of pine nuts, a handful of pumpkin seeds, a handful of chopped dates or prunes or dried apricots. Add a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of turmeric. All to cook slowly over a low heat for about 15 minutes.

Make the lamb stock up to one pint with boiling water, and pour over about 400-500g dried couscous (serves 5-6 people). Cover and leave to swell for a few minutes. Then if you like your couscous rich, which I do, pour in the resulting thick stew of tomato and spices and seeds. Mix the whole lot around and cover it for another minute. Serve piping hot with slices of spiced and sweet roast lamb.

• Advertisement

Last night we had a big Caesar salad - Cos lettuce from the garden, home made garlic crutons, cold roast chicken, hard boiled eggs and loads of parmaesan shavings - caesar salad dressing and a few salad potatoes on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We stayed with my in-laws yesterday so tonight we had a meal consisting of all the leftovers my mother-in-law insisted we take.

The meal consisted of roti, daal, fijian grean beans with chillis, curried potatoes and two types of chicken curry.

It was truly yummy, especially as I didn't have to cook it!

Tonight we are having the Chinese pork ribs from my local butcher, with roasted portobello mushrooms and then lemon mousse for dessert.

Thai weekend as I received two deliveries of fresh and dried asian ingredients this week. Last night we had Tom Yam soup and a thai red curry with jasmine rice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive just put a leg of John Fs best Achill lamb in the oven to roast. Its sitting on a shuck of sage that I grow out the back garden and then wrapped in foil. I gave it a good salting too with a small wash of oil.Ive decided to leave off the rosemany today to enjoy the sage by itself. Ill prolly unwrap it about 40 mins from the end to crisp up but I want it perfumed first.

When I unwrap it, Im going to add baby new potatoes to roast in the juices and then have some baby carrots with it. I might do a second veg....depends on the mood and whether or not I can be bothered going up to the shop. Lazy I know, but its Sunday so Im allowed!

Ill make a bit of gravy from the juices and thats about it for today! Its a lazy version of the full whack roast. Last week we had beef, YPs, roasties, mash, cauliflower cheese, tarragon baby carrots and homemade gravy.

So what are all ye foodies having for lunch today? Are you cooking it or being cooked for? What are yer fav Sunday lunches and do you still think your mother makes the best one or have you come to realise that you have in fact taken over as the best Sunday roaster (:D) or have you had any catastrophies along the way?

Baked alaska for dessset. Im defo in a lazy mood today!

Went to a friend's house for Sunday dinner tonight. We had Roast NZ lamb, with roast veggies (pumpkin, kumara, parsnip and garlic) mashed potatoes and salad.

We then had chocolate brownies for dessert which I made. I finally perfected my brownie recipe!

Last night we had chicken satay, stir fried water spinach with chillies and shrimp with noodles.

Brunch today was kedgeree - I used some fresh tumeric root - It has a slight ginger flavour and zings - now I have to find a way to get the stains off my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Having had Burger King constantly for 2 days I'm looking forward to roast chicken and all the trimmings in a few minutes!

The Burger King was damn good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Roast leg of lamb with rosemary and roast potatoes with steamed veg, followed by the sweetest tasting trifle:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thread merged :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rainbow trout with baby spuds* (* + salt + copious amounts of butter) and unfrozened veg.

Tonight we had nachos made of pork mince (it's cheaper), tin of tomatoes, tin of chilli beans in hot sauce, onions and garlic.

Had it on top of cheese nachos with cheese and sour cream. The week of cheap meals has started well!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thread moved back to Cooking & Recipes.

I had a lightly breaded fillet of sole with yummy mashed potatoes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Faith wrote: »
    Thread moved back to Cooking & Recipes.

I had a lightly breaded fillet of sole with yummy mashed potatoes.

Strange. I had the destination thread as 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread'. Surely it shouldn't have pulled it out onto the main F&D forum? Very odd.

Thanks anyway Faith.

More oriental cooking. We had beef with brocolli in oyster sauce, a salad of smoked mackerel with thai dresing, steamed rice and tonkatsu.

Tonkatsu is traditionally a breaded piece of pork deep fried. For my dish, I took a mid section of a fillet of pork and cut it into a large rectangle - basically unrolled it with the knife if that makes any sense. A little persuasion with a meat mallet and I had a piece of pork about 1/8th inch thick. Laid a sheet of nori on top and some shiso leaves; spread a leek and miso mixture over the leaves and a thin line of umeboshi paste on one edge. Rolled up the rectangle into a sausage shape and chilled.

Then floured, egg wash and panko breadcrumbs and into the fryer at 190c for 8 minutes. The result was very good - the crust was crisp and dry, the meat still moist. Second half tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Last night for my dinner I had a cup of coffee and a bowl of chocolate custard.

That's possibly because I spent a while tidying up my spice jars. I'm using old coffee jars - Moccona coffee here in Oz have great glass jars with a plastic seal on them and they scrub up smashing for spices. Once I was finished, and had a headful of the smells of ground cinnamon, star anise and turmeric, among other things, I wasn't really hungry and just picked up the first thing in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had chicken kebabs and homemade potatoes wedges with lots of guerkins and cheese on the side..

Roast chicken again this evening as I cooked dinner for my parents, just returned from holidays. We had it with mash, carrots and a really good gravy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Last night was a hotpot of sorts made from the leftover of the Sunday lunch of rapst leg of lamb with roasted baby news and baby carrots.

I layered the leftover lamb, pots (on top) andd carrots in a casserole dish and poured the rest of the gravy over it. Into the heated oven till piping and the pots have crisped up again. Easy!

Today, inspired by the quiche thread, Im going to use up the bits and bobs in the fridge and make a mongrel quiche. 2 slices of bacon, 2 tomatoes (deseeded), 1 chilli, scallions, 1 onion, thyme and celery....so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Pan fried Sea Trout in herbs served with boiled string beans and boiled baby spuds finished in butter and thyme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement