Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we're having t-bone steaks with potatoes and green beans. We've also had some chicken soup to start and warm us up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we had sausage, chips and baked beans. I was to depressed to cook so my OH did and that's his speciality. It was quite nice in a back to your childhood kind of way!

Tonight we had the lemon/tuna/pasta dish the minder suggested in my thread asking for cheap meals. It was really tasty and very quick to make. Thanks a mill!

Had the best lunch today too. There's this gourmet salad bar near work and you can pick a salad and they put it in a puku (large round roll) for you. I had chilli chicken, blue cheese, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and spinach salad in a blue cheese and chive dressing. It was the best lunch I've had in a long time. So pleased to have found a decent lunch place near me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I made a quiche and damm fine it was too. Nice thin pastry, A good thump of filling - sauted finely diced onion, streaky bacon, perfumed with sage and bayleaf and thyme - took out the sage and bayleaf after a few mins - finely diced celery and deseeded tomato at the end. the filling came up over half way on the blind baked pastry case and then mature white cheddar on top.

Poured in the egg mix and paced for 40 mins!

Was fab have to say. I made a double batch of pastry so Im going to make cornish pasties today! Cant wait to get started! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Had to work late last night so had to make do with an omlette. Nice ham from Sainsburys(it's as nice as Superquinn's but half the price!) and some brie into the omlette and a couple of slices of thick white toast.
    Yummy...

Tonight is hake and either home made spuds and baked beans or with baby boiled spuds and homemade garlic shrooms and carrots.

Going to make a curry this week as well with some lovely new baby spuds in it.

• Advertisement

Im in an attention seeking mood this evening due to bf loving Arsnel more than me. :) I made a cornish pastie earlier and I took a photo of it as I wanted to show off to my Mum!

I was thinking, why dont we add photos of the food we cooked tonight or any night? Id love to see some of the delicious sounding food thats described!

What about a whole new thread if pics? That would be brilliant!!Ill post my cornish pastie pic that I took this evening if the mods let me!:D

Or even a "Whats in my fridge" picture thread? Show the world your fridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Food pics would be a good thread but I can't imagine it would get as many hits as this one.

Tonight I had some fresh sardines from a new deli type place near work - they have the smallest fish counter I've ever seen - lucky if there were 12 fish on it. Anyway I made a salad plate of fresh lettuce, sliced tomato, anchovy, sardine fillets, boiled eggs and garlic toasts, all with a good drizzle of olive oil.

Heres the quiche from last night!

Shameless post whoring, but I think Ive earned it!

Here the Cornish pastie...well, half of it...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Had a special burger tonight (just a combo of herbs with minced meat) and a potato filled with a mixture of sour cream and rasher bits. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dellgirl2, Imagelinkies no workie.

I dont know why..theyre working when I click them. Ill try to upload new ones. Thanks!

Links fixed!

Hers the pie thats in my oven right now! Ill do an after pic as well.

When I try they ask me for a Google username and password.

Tonight I made a variation on the lakeshore pork idea, which worked out really well. Pork in a cream sauce with mango chutney and wholegrain mustard. Serve with rice and garden peas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I had a blueberry yoghurt, an orange, a bag of King crisps and a cuppa tea. I'm too lazy to get off the couch and cook.

Tomorrow I'll make Hoi-sin chicken/veg noodle stir fry with duck spring rolls. nyom!

Last night, we had grilled sea trout with boiled baby potatoes and roasted red peppers.

I spent the day cooking yesterday - well, cooking, reading a book cover to cover and drinking a bottle of wine. It was a GOOD DAY.

Made hungarian meatballs, which should last a few days, and lamb shorba, which should also last a few days. Essentially will mean I don't have to cook 'big' again until probably Wednesday/Thursday. There'll be little things - sides, salads, pasta etc, but the main course is now taken care of. Leftovers ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I made a huge pot of bolognese, stuffed with a lot of shredded vegies, enough for two lasngas and for at least two days of spag boll. Handy as it is one of my brats favourites.

Yesterdays dinner was Lasanga, baked baby potatoes and roasted carrots and parsnips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roast a smallish chicken with a lemon inside it and a herb butter mix under teh breast skin. Also stuck a couple of rashers over the breast. It was mighty fine and perfectly moist. Even managed to persuade the 4 year old to eat a drumstick (as they were specially designed with kids in mind!)

Served with corn on the cob and herby roast spuds

Tonight we are having pea, shrimp, garlic and chilli pasta.

Sheperds pie this evening!

Before the oven...wont survive long enough after to take a photo! very etheral looking...the camera on my phone is pretty crappy....totally crappy in fact.

• Advertisement

Roast chicken with a lemon sauce - juice of two lemons, splash of soy and fish sauce, 3 tbsps of honey - poured over the chicken near the end of cooking to stop the sugar burning. I also made some chinese noodles with leftover duck. Ridiculously long noodles - CTF chinese brand - they must be three feet long - makes serving it a giggle.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday - A meat feast of boiled bacon ribs (nothing else)
    Sunday - A Jalfrezi-style curry
    Monday - Mrs Billy's chilli
    Tonight - More of Mrs Billy's chilli
    Tomorrow - More of Mrs Billy's chilli (dear God woman, did you have to make that much?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Braised lamb shanks. Slowly cooked in the oven in red wine (a whole bottle) root vegetables (carrots, swede), shallots, rosemary and thyme, finished off for a few more minutes on a baking tray, vegetables served on the side, and the remains of the red wine sauce finished off with redcurrant jelly and some mint (cheated using bottled mint sauce cos my mint plant has died!) and some cold butter whisked through. Yummy. A typical winter meal, I know, but it feels like it at the moment !

We had roasted chicken drumsticks with twice baked potatoes and spinach. Nice and filling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Delicious, juicy home made burgers with potatoes roasted in olive oil, sea salt and rosemary. Yum.

Lamb biryani, dhal and a cooling yoghurt & cucumber. Great value out of a shoulder of lamb - the big pieces of meat for the biryani, the small pieces for shorba (soup) along with a stock made from the bones & fat.

Tonight I made pasta and a tomato based sauce with pork mince (which we've recently switched to from beef mince as it's cheaper and nicer). I'm cutting back on wheat to see if I have an intolerence so wanted to used the pasta up tonight. Did a big shop after dinner and will be wheat free for the next few weeks.

I only found out in the supermarket that cous cous is made of %100 wheat. I'm very disappointed. I love cous cous :(

I made a big blue cheese/chicken/walnut salad to bring to work for lunch tomorrow. Starting the new diet on a good note I think!

watna wrote: »
    I only found out in the supermarket that cous cous is made of %100 wheat. I'm very disappointed. I love cous cous :(

There is a barley cous cous - it has a slightly smaller grain than the wheat variety. Brand is Belazu. NZ company Zarbo stock Belazu products, but don't have a listing for barley cous cous, you could try asking them to order it for you. Quinoa is also a reasonable alternative to cous cous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minder wrote: »
    Lamb biryani, dhal and a cooling yoghurt & cucumber. Great value out of a shoulder of lamb - the big pieces of meat for the biryani, the small pieces for shorba (soup) along with a stock made from the bones & fat.
    +1 on the shoulder of lamb. My butcher gives me good sized well-aged shoulders for only €10. He can't shift them once they're properly aged because most people only buy their lamb when it is bright pink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+another1 on shoulder of lamb... not quite last night but last Sunday night cooked one of these a la boulangere.... slowly on top of scalloped potatoes with some stock... fabulous autumn dish!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement