Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight was marinated chicken breasts, butterflied and flash fried on the hob, served with roasted, chipped potatoes and a big salad.

Okay so now it's going to look like I'm talking to myself but anyway....

Tonight I was a bit experimental and cooked teriyaki salmon from the recipe here. I served with crunchy mangetout and the noodles mentioned in the recipe but without the coriander.

It was quite tasty and my OH really enjoyed it and is still raving about how delicious it was, so I must have done something right. The only thing I would change for next time would be to use a better soy sauce than I did as I had to compensate for the saltiness of it somewhat with a bit more maple syrup.

I was afraid the whole way through that the sauce would burn and I wouldn't notice because of the colour. The lime flavour was really strong which was interesting as I would've thought that the garlic or ginger would have been the more powerful flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

tSD love to read your creations, never feel you are talking to yourself!

Roast chicken again tonight (with lemon) and roast spuds. The 4yr loves it so therefore......

Last night was Duck breasts with mashed spuds and al dente broccoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The only thing I would change for next time would be to use a better soy sauce than I did as I had to compensate for the saltiness of it somewhat with a bit more maple syrup.
    You can buy soy sauce that has lower salt levels :) I use it at home myself :)

Tonight I had stirfried yellow bell pepper, courgette, mushroom, onion and chillies. The chillies were from my greenhouse :)

We stir-fried them,added the above-mentioned soy-sauce and then I added Amoy noodles. It was all delicious but my wife wants thinner noodles next-time as she nearly gagged thinking that the noodles looked like worms...she hates "crepy-crawlies" despite being a keen gardener and veg-grower :)

I don't often reply to this thread but I read it all the time :) This months BBC Good Food magazine has some great recipies in it and a great boolet with 40 chicken recipes. I'm sure they're all on the website, the one you used tonight looks familiar :D

r3nu4l wrote: »

I don't often reply to this thread but I read it all the time :) This months BBC Good Food magazine has some great recipies in it and a great boolet with 40 chicken recipes. I'm sure they're all on the website, the one you used tonight looks familiar :D

A little off thread (but not too much), the BBC Good Food website is very good and seems to contain most of the recipes published in the mag (www.bbcgoodfood.com). I only came across it myself last year and now use it regularly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kenco wrote: »
    A little off thread (but not too much), the BBC Good Food website is very good and seems to contain most of the recipes published in the mag (www.bbcgoodfood.com). I only came across it myself last year and now use it regularly

Thanks, it looks really good - I've added it to my favourites:)

Tonight's dinner spectacular was good old bacon and mash, no cabbage as the OH despises it, we had roasted mushrooms with it instead. He even did most of the cooking (with expert consultation) this evening as I was just not in the mood for handling raw meat for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Tonight I was a bit experimental and cooked teriyaki salmon from the recipe here. I served with crunchy mangetout and the noodles mentioned in the recipe but without the coriander.

It was quite tasty and my OH really enjoyed it and is still raving about how delicious it was, so I must have done something right.
    Have to say, that was a very good one, even by your normal high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dissident

coddle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night was a lamb tagine with broadbeans and aubergine, baked potatoes and a french stick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

dissident wrote: »
    coddle!

+1 !!

Yesterday we had fish and chips with pea puree. Tonight we had a roast chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fried lamb's liver with mashed potato, & mashed carrot & turnip.

Turkey and sweetcorn meatballs with a red pepper dipping sauce. Cauliflower fritters with a lime yoghurt dipping sauce. A salad of sliced fennel, feta cheese, tarragon and pomegranate seeds with a lemon and olive oil dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night I had Quick chicken ala Rachel Allen (minus all the salt she adds).

Chopped carrots, parsnips, celery, quartered onions, sliced mushrooms, whole or halfed new potatoes (first earlies from my own garden :)) 4 chicken breasts, mixed herbs, plenty of ground black pepper, 4 whole garlic cloves and olive oil, all mixed together in an oven tin, banged into the oven at highest temperature for 30 minutes, mixing it all up again at the 15 minute timepoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Flied lice, and it was lovely. Pilaf tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Chicken Kiev last night.

UB wrote: »
    Flied lice, and it was lovely.
    It's not flied lice, it's fried rice you plick :pac:

Hope you saw Lethal Weapon 4 or that'll be lost on you :)

Tonight, being a Wednesday, it was eat and run night, so we had the ol' pasta with shrimps, garlic, chilli and peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last nite was homemade tuna pasta bake..

Tonight was fresh cod and chips with garlic sauce - absolutely to die for, not often I indulge but really enjoy it when I do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Steak, homemade oven chips, coleslaw and salad. yum

• Advertisement

A Vietnamese spicy minced pork and aubergine sauce over noodles. The meat sauce had star anise, cinnamon stick, garlic, chilli, ginger, fish sauce and lime juice. The aubergine disintegrated in the sauce and thickened the sauce nicely. It should have had plenty of coriander but I didn't have any, so I used a few leaves of sorrel from the garden instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy's chicken jalfrezi with basmati, naans, popadums & a selection of pickles & chutneys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Beans on toast....late home and starved. Tonight Im cooking a honey roast ham and mashed potatoes and satued cabbage with parsley sauce....friend visiting and thats whats been requested!

I think Ill do a lemon meringue pie for after.....Ive some sweet pastry left over in the freezer from the apricot tart I made a few weeks ago.

Im going to Chez Bruce on the 9th September...... I cant wait! I dont think sneaking photos of the food with my phone would go down very well....but Ill try!:D

Last night we chicken savoyarde - lovely cheesy tarragon sauce on chicken with a crisp layer of parmasaen breadcrumbs on top, baked spuds and garlic cannelloni beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Got taken out for a three course lunch by my boss today so no dinner for me!

For lunch I had red onion tartlet with herby goats cheese, spinach and parmesan then lamb neck tagine with chickpea puree and soft cheese. I had a side order of truffle fries with parmesan. For dessert I had cream custard with cherries and shortbread.

It was divine!

last night was pan fried mackeral fillets in seasoned flour and squeeze of lemon juice. Served with brocc and baby spuds.

Also decided to get some oysters and did them on the side. Grilled them with a topping of parsley/garlic butter, parmesan and chopped bacon. Squeeze of lime, very, very tasty if I say so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Pasta primavera tonight, too lazy too cook anything more adventurous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we went for Nando's. It was yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I haven't cooked for nearly two weeks because I've had the flu. (Proper flu, not "I have a headcold" flu.)

So today I searched the cupboards and the fridge to see what happens when I'm not doing the cooking, and what happens is apparently seven loaves of bread of various ages, vegetables that nobody did anything with, the remains of a medium rare roast leg of lamb that must have been too pink to lend itself to sandwiches, a dozen eggs from our chooks and a number of slices of watermelon, also of various ages.

So I went to the supermarket, then came home and made an enormous quiche, a roasted vegetable soup, a ragu sauce for lasagne which I'm going to make today, and some coriander to go with lamb rissoles, made by putting cold roast lamb into a blender with a little cumin, chili, chopped mint, coriander, breadcrumbs and an egg - take the resulting mush, shape into rissole cakes, flour and then fry both sides and dip into either sweet chili sauce or a yoghurty-humous to eat.

• Advertisement

Venison burgers - very lean but not so lean that they dry out. Shop bought beef burgers always seem to have a particular quality that doesn't change whether it's "cheap is chips" own brand or "finest - taste the difference" high end. Probably because they all come from the same place. Whatever it is, I find a shop bought beef burger never lives up to the expectation I have for it. The venison burgers otoh were a revelation, lean but still juicy, great flavour and none of that overpowering spice that seems common in all beef burgers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement