Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chicken in a chili bean paste, rice wine and lemon sauce, with rice noodles and cucumber slices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yesterday I made garlic and lemon roast chicken with potato dauphinoise, honey and lemon parsnips and carrot and parsnip mash.

Had the leftovers tonight and it was the best Monday night meal. We even had gravy leftover too which is the best part!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yuk Sung and a curry from the Ming Court in Blanch... Very nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I work in Blanch and always chuckle when I pass Ming Court...ha ha...ming...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Turkey pesto pasta.

It's a quick one the kids love, pan fry the strips of turkey breast with onion, green and yello pepper, mushroom and a lil garlic, but the angel hair pasta on to boil. When the turkey et al is done lobe in half a jar of pesto and simmer, drain pasta and add to pan. Stir until pasta is coated and serve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thai Green Curry with Jasmine Rice last night. Simple Pork Chops, Broccoli and Rice tonight.

I've two cider rye bread loaves proving over on the table at the moment. They'll be popped in the oven in an hour. Started the poolish for them at one today (a long bread making effort this one).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Was a bit sick last week so didn't do a lot of cooking. Highlight was turkey teriyaki, using the same recipe as I did before, but this time with a better quality soy sauce, which made a huge difference!

Sunday: Roasted a chicken
    Monday: Remains of chicken made into a pie with pancetta, carrots and mushrooms
    Tonight: We had quite interesting marinated turkey breasts from Lidl with crushed potatoes with olive oil and salt.

I got three chicken carcasses from the butcher earlier and I have made an amazingly good stock and now I am making soup with carrots, sweet potato and ginger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Salad leaves with seared tuna strips and grapefruit segments for lunch.

Baked spud with salmon and chilli flakes later on.

Soup is ridiculously tasty. I had some for my lunch and also some for my dinner with a nice wholemeal bread and sausages (with dinner only).

I'l be having it again for lunch tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fusilli pasta with piri-piri spiced chicken, mushrooms and spinach in a white cheese sauce.

• Advertisement

V. quick combo meal this evening - plated up a load of sliced raw veg - tomatoes, capsicum, lettuce, avocado - peppered and salted it, sprinkle of lemon juice, then pour olive oil over two slices of wholegrain bread and put them on the side along with a fillet of cooked chicken. Doesn't take long, but filling and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've kind of lost interest in food recently, but it was my boyfriend's birthday so I made a bit of an effort last night. We had a starter of caramelised pears and camembert with rocket salad, I wasn't sure if himself would like it so I stuck a breaded camembert in the oven just in case which he ate aswell with cranberry sauce. We then had big juicy fillet steaks (well his was huge, mine was on the small side), potato dauphonoise, asparagus and honey carrots and parsnips with fresh cream sponge bithday cake for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Minder wrote: »
    Fusilli pasta with piri-piri spiced chicken, mushrooms and spinach in a white cheese sauce.

Hi Minder,

Would you mind giving me the recipe for piri piri chicken and the cheese sauce?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tonight is our "bold" night so we'll be getting a take-away - haven't decided what, yet.

Tomorrow I'm making venison sausage with puy lentils.

The piri-piri chicken dish is my attempt to recreate a pierce & ping pasta dish that Tesco used to sell called Pasta Chicken Alfredo - pieces of spicy chicken in a creamy sauce with spinach, mushrooms and fusilli pasta.

Ingredients

Chicken breasts
    Piri piri spice (Schwartz) dry
    Half an onion
    Garlic
    Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Splash of white wine
    Cream or creme fraishe
    Fusilli pasta
    Parmaesan cheese

Place chicken breasts on a baking tray and sprinkle with piri piri spice.
    Cook in the oven for approx 20 mins at 200 degrees.
    Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water.
    Cook spinach until all the leaves have wilted - allow to cool and squeeze all the water out. Slice.
    Gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
    Add the mushrooms and cook for several minutes.
    Turn up the heat and add the white wine.
    Once the wine has cooked down a little add the cream or creme fraishe.
    Drain the pasta and add to the cooked mushrooms, add the spinach.
    Slice the chicken and add to the pasta.
    The sauce should be enough to coat everything - if not, add more cream.
    The sauce will be a little thin - now add some finely grated parmaesan to thicken the sauce.

Piri piri is chilli based - so use according to taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Minder

That sounds like an amazing dish. Well done for taking the time to write it out. One question though, would the permesan cheese not make it very heavy? Not a huge fan of it as I feel it is used far too often in dishes and people tend to go overboard with it. Other than that great tip. Thx.

I don't use a huge amount of parmasaen cheese and the microfoil grater fluffs it up a lot so it is easily spread through the dish. I have made the sauce with cream or creme fraishe or ricotta and all work equally well.

My Gruyére and Cumin loaves have just come out of the oven. Off to the In-Laws tonight for Lennox's (best takeaway in Cork imho). Had a relatively simple chilli on Wednesday and Thursday. Am planning on doing a Thai Green Curry (Thai Basil and Sweet Lime Leaves along with peppers and pea aubergines) tomorrow for ourselves, my parents and my brother who is back in the country for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight, I made chicken cooked in olive oil, rosemary,, garlic and lemon, roast herby potatoes and a green salad with spinach. I haven't been feeling the best the past fews days so it's the first I've cooked since last sunday.

Lamb kebabs marinated in pomergranate molasses, lemon juice and salt. Flat breads, ratatouille and rice topped with caramalised onions and sultanas.

• Advertisement

A half bottle of red wine, some extremely strong blue cheese, a handful of crackers and a bunch of grapes, followed by three squares of 80% cocoa dark chocolate with raspberries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night (and again tonight) I had (will have) a simple Spaghetti bolognese with home-made sauce

Home-made sauce:
    12 small-medium sized tomatoes from my greenhouse
    1 Large White Onion
    Tomato ketchup*
    Mixed herbs
    Salt
    Pepper

Chop onions finely
    Soften the onions by lightly frying
    Chop tomatoes into small chunks
    Place onions and tomatoes in a blender
    Add salt and pepper to taste
    Add mixed herbs to taste
    Add tomato ketchup to taste*
    Blend

Add entire mix into minced beef and vegetables that have been frying away in the pan as you prepared the sauce. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes (or as long as you want really, longer time = more flavour)

Drain pasta
    Serve :)

You can of course add freshly crushed garlic to this mix for the sauce but I didn't realise I was out of garlic :( Also mushrooms add some kick too but I prefer them unblended in the bolognese.

*Optional

Saturday night we had a put lentil & wild boar sausage casserole.

Yesterday we ate out and tonight I'm going to make either beef stroganoff or a cottage pie, haven't decided which yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Had bacon ribs on Saturday with cabbage and baby potatoes, cooked them for 6 hours so the meat was ready to fall off the bones. Sunday we had lasagne, baked poatoes and garlic bread. I was sick yesterday ibut I had made a chicken, ham and mushroom pie over the weekend so w had thast with fried cabbage and baby potatoes. Still sick today so it's going to be a quick and easy chicken stir fry.

Had Chicken Fried Rice (Basmati, Mushrooms, Spring Onion, Chicken and Egg) last night and we're having it again tonight. Nothing fancy but tasty and cheap enough to make.

I've two loaves of rye bread just about ready to go in the oven. :)

Tonight we're having salmon steamed in a bain maire in the oven with thyme, butter, bay leaves and a touch of lemon juice. Served with crushed potatoes with olive oil and sea salt and roasted sweet red peppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Scrambled eggs on toast before football and left over leg of lamb in a tandoori sauce later on.

Plan for tonight is good old roast chicken (incl special kids bit, aka drumstick!). Roast spuds and must do some thing with those corguettes I have since the weekend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bacon and cabbage tonight! Haven't had it in years and I adore cabbage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going out for steak tonight. We're not booked in until 8 and I don't think I can contain my excitement. I want it now!

• Advertisement

Tandoori butter chicken tonight. Only I don't have a tandoor, so I'm guessing it's really just Butter Chicken...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement