Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had a Spanish fish stew of sea bass and potatoes in a warmly spicy broth of tomato, orange and saffron with coriander seeds and chilli flakes, inspired by a dish from the BBC2 programme What to Eat Now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we are having roast chicken legs and mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tonight we had Pork Chops, Broccoli, Sweetcorn and some Thai Rice. We also have a freshly baked Rum, Raisin and Walnut cake. (I "christened" my new mixer today) :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Minced beef pie with shortcrust pastry on top, baby potatoes, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. Comfort food :)

Pan fried supreme of Guinea Fowl with a creamy leek and mushroom sauce, spinach and potatoes parmentier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we ordered pizza but to make myself feel better I made a green salad and a tuna/lemon/chickpea/kidney bean salad.

Tonight I made steak Diane, broccoli and duchesse potatoes (they're frozen ones and my backup for when I'm too lazy to peel potatoes or roast them)

Tomorrow being Friday my dinner will involve a number of glasses of white wine and then some Malaysian food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Do they still have Hells Pizza there, Watna? Nyom :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sirloin steaks with oven chips and fried onions (with balsamic vin). Tried Sirloin against my nature as it was mad cheap in Dunnes the other day and I may be converted! Very tender indeed and it has to be said a bit more taste than strip or fillet. Will try again soon to confirm impressions but thanks to all who have been singing the praise of the Sirloin!

WindSock wrote: »
    Do they still have Hells Pizza there, Watna? Nyom :pac:

Yup, that's where we ordered from. I had one with apricot sauce, pine nuts, rosemary, cream cheese, chicken and spring onions. You don't get any better than that. It really is the best pizza place.

Tonight we had our usual Sunday fare of roast chicken with creamy potatoes and roast veg.

Had a lot of bananas in the fruit bowl that had gone very brown for some reason so I made banana cake for dessert. It's why I like when bananas go off!

• Advertisement

Last night we had roast chicken with seasame flavoured egg noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Saturday is comfort food. :) Had a cheese burger and chips, yum!!!

Last night we had grilled trout with tasty homemade chips.

Tonight for a quick meal we had Honey-seared chicken with carrot and ginger fried noodles, courtesy of the BBC recipe search. It was pretty good but I think it could do with some more honey in it as it was very tart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made a lamb biryani Monday night. Last night didn't cook or eat (long day, tired, straight to bed). Tonight is a piece of corned beef with creamy mash and shredded savoy cabbage done in the beef water, with parsley sauce.

Spaghetti with a puttanesca sauce, some anti-pasta of artichokes, olives, manchego cheese, anchovies. 1/2 bottle of french red wine and some more cheese - a goats cheese and a sloppy gorgonzola with a few red grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Tonight: Roasted lentil loaf with gorgonzola sauce and wild rice.

Chicken and chips. Though I rubbed my chicken thighs with sesame oil and five spice which made them taste really, really good.

Escalope of turkey in panko breadcrumbs seasoned with oregano along side a pile of fedelini (very thin spaghetti) dressed with a light tomato, garlic and basil sauce and a pile of fluffy pecorino shavings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Minder wrote: »
    Escalope of turkey in panko breadcrumbs seasoned with oregano along side a pile of fedelini (very thin spaghetti) dressed with a light tomato, garlic and basil sauce and a pile of fluffy pecorino shavings.

I don't know why but I read this with a Lloyd Grossman accent :)

Sounds yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sounds yummy.

Oh yes the tomato and garlic bring out a fabulous flavour and compliment each other so well.

• Advertisement

Sounds yummy.

lol

Noww whooo lives in a hoouussee like thissss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

southern fried chicken, mashed potatos, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and gravy..... yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum

my favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Silverside with potatoes, carrots, cabbage and parsley sauce. Went out for lunch yesterday along Melbourne's South Bank (not the cheapest place in the world to eat, and not necessarily great food) and got lucky - he had the grilled salmon lunch special, served with snow peas (mange tout), roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine and a saffron buerre blanc sauce. The piece of salmon was easily larger than the length and width of my hand! I had strips of veal in a cream sauce laced with wholegrain mustard, tossed with pasta shells.

That, and we had a few glasses of cold Peroni, and a big bottle of water, and it was about 24 degrees, the breeze was warm, the sky was blue and cloudless, the river was high and the bizarre mix of people that makes up Melbourne were all skipping along because it's the start of the better weather. :D

Silverside with potatoes, carrots, cabbage and parsley sauce. Went out for lunch yesterday along Melbourne's South Bank (not the cheapest place in the world to eat, and not necessarily great food) and got lucky - he had the grilled salmon lunch special, served with snow peas (mange tout), roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine and a saffron buerre blanc sauce. The piece of salmon was easily larger than the length and width of my hand! I had strips of veal in a cream sauce laced with wholegrain mustard, tossed with pasta shells.

That, and we had a few glasses of cold Peroni, and a big bottle of water, and it was about 24 degrees, the breeze was warm, the sky was blue and cloudless, the river was high and the bizarre mix of people that makes up Melbourne were all skipping along because it's the start of the better weather. :D

Wellington was like that yesterday. We had quite a sunny day and after work we decided to go out for dinner and couldn't get in to a lot of places. Everyone was outside drinking beer and wine and enjoying the sunshine. You could see people looked happier.

Now bring on daylight savings on sunday and we'll have even more light hours after work to eat outside!

We ended up going to a gourmet burger place and getting some to bring home. They were delicious and I secretly enjoyed the laziness of eating them at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

sorry minder... your post made me laugh... when you wrote "anti-pasta" you meant (i presume) "antipasto" that in italian means "starter"...
    "anti-pasta" literally means "against-pasta"

:-))))))

Paola L. wrote: »
    sorry minder... your post made me laugh... when you wrote "anti-pasta" you meant (i presume) "antipasto" that in italian means "starter"...
    "anti-pasta" literally means "against-pasta"

It's actually much more complicated than that - scientists believe that the universe is made up of pasta and anti-pasta and have built a huge meatball collider underground to try and discover the nature of anti-pasta. A complete waste of money as I had a plate of it the other night, and they only had to ask...;)

:-)))))

so please tell us... what did you discover... whats the deep and secret nature of "anti-pasta"?

If pasta and anti-pasta are mixed, a huge explosion results and both are destroyed.;)

thats, my dear minder, depends on the type of mix... if pasta is "alla puttanesca" and anti-pasta is "alla matriciana" the eplosion (in terms of calories eheheheh) is for sure...
    but... to avoid going to much off topic... did you prepare yourself the sauce or you buy it?

• Advertisement

I made the sauce - tomato, garlic, anchovy, caper, chilli, black olive and a scatter of parsley at the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement