Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Thai red curry with chicken and prawns, mushrooms and peppers with brown rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...it was with tortilla wraps, sour cream, mango salsa and leaves. :D
    I'd be interested in that mango salsa recipe if you don't mind posting it MAJD! I'm going to be having some tortilla wraps tomorrow evening.

Last night I had boiled brown rice with stir-fried sardines in tomato sauce with peppers, freshly crushed garlic, spring onions and mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This thread makes me hungry. So many foodies here!

Last night I made chicken enchiladas in a mild creamy red pepper sauce, baked with lots of cheese and topped with sour cream and tomato salsa, served with apricot rice and a big green salad. Went down a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

r3nu4l wrote:
    I'd be interested in that mango salsa recipe if you don't mind posting it MAJD! I'm going to be having some tortilla wraps tomorrow evening.

Mango Salsa - Mix the following in a bowl

Chopped fresh mango
    Diced fresh avocado
    Chopped fresh chilli
    Lime Juice
    Chopped coriander
    Small amount of chopped tomato

Also good in this is banana instead of avocado, or fresh peach.

[MAJD - hope you don't mind me answering here]

Cheers Minder :) I'm trying to avoid buying jars of sauces so this is a good recipe for me. Apart from the lime juice, I already have all of the ingredients at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote:
    Mango Salsa - Mix the following in a bowl

Chopped fresh mango
    Diced fresh avocado
    Chopped fresh chilli
    Lime Juice
    Chopped coriander
    Small amount of chopped tomato

Also good in this is banana instead of avocado, or fresh peach.

[MAJD - hope you don't mind me answering here]

Why would I - it's your recipe I keep stealing. :D

Dinner tonight: barbecue. Marinated ribs and chicken legs, some burgers, and some chicken skewers with mixed veg and salmon skewers with mixed veg. Must go make some marinades for chicken and salmon - the rest of the stuff came in a burger pack from the local butchers which seems to be pretty good value. £22 for ribs, chicken legs, burgers and sausages. Feels like about 8kgs in total!!

/me pats belly. Pigletry ahoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night's dinner - falafel in a takeaway, en route to cinema.

Tonight's dinner shall be schweinshaxen* and breaded mozarella sticks done the BBQ, salad, and some bread.

The haxen have been rubbed with some spice mix I'm trying to finish off (called fruits al fresco), and will be basted regularly with beer as I cook. The downside of this is that I will constantly need to have beer in hand while grilling. Shucks...life is hard at times.

*ham hocks, I think.

Saturday : BBQ at friends house. Various meats & salads.

Sunday : BBQ at home - spare ribs, baked spuds, salad

Monday : BBQ at home - spiced chicken drumsticks, mozarella sticks, homemade bread, various salads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Chinese take away:
    Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
    Spicey Chicken Rolls
    Garlic Crab claws - not impressed, over cooked

That's it, breaking out the BBQ tonight, I can't put it off any longer :D

Last night: first BBQ in Australia. One of the best rib-eye steaks I've ever had, still on the bone. Looked like a big beef chop. Was done medium to well, and still melt in the mouth - none of this shoe-leather chewing malarky! Seasoned only with pepper and sea salt. Fantastic.

Oh - and there was salad, but I wasn't really paying attention. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gald to see you got there safely and got fed :)

Didn't take too long to immerse yourself in the culture then :D I bet you've even bought a hat with strings and corks on the end of them :D

Last night I had tortellini and sardines (I was in a hurry!).
    The night before I had grilled chicken breast with Mexican seasoniong with stir-fried vegetables and yellow plums. Very nice!

Hmmm - jetlag battles aren't any fun. Fell asleep yesterday afternoon, woke up late, didn't get sorted for food and ended up going to a local burger joint, which was a whole load of crap, to be honest. Will have to make home-made burgers with fresh minced beef for the locals, with some of my personal favourite relishes and we'll see if they still reckon the local place does 'a good burger'.

[burger snob]
    BAH.
    [/burger snob]

Last night I had Salmon fillet (done in the microwave) with cous cous and peas. Simple but good and best of all the whole dinner takes less than 10 minutes to prepare :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Homemade chicken in black bean sauce with mushrooms, onions , carrots, snow peas, chili and brown rice.

lamb sausages, shredded raw white cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, toasted pitta breads, garlic sauce, and a tube of chilli paste...

It was an "assenble your own" sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Bonkey any word on the Gyros ingredients yet? Got a spice mix in LIdl and was nearly the same but just missing that certain something!

Last nights dinner was lamb meatballs in spicy tomato sauce with rice & fried halloumi.

Bonkey any word on the Gyros ingredients yet?

I'm waiting to get a new order in from my mate in Germany....

Friday's dinner : chicken & potato curry

Saturday's dinner : Chicken marinaded in lemon-juice, natural youghurt, salt and loads of garlic, done on teh BBQ. Merguez, mozarella sticks (both also done on the BBQ), boiled new potatoes, and salad. BBQ banana for desert.

Sunday's dinner : Tuna in lime coriander & garlic, mackerel fillets (one salted, one rubbed with curry), left over spuds from Sat. with herby salt. All done on the BBQ. And more salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night I had Miracle Spaghetti Bolognese. Why is it called Miracle? because my husband made it. His first successful attempt at a proper dinner! :) It was damn tasty too.

Last night I had chicken and vegetable wraps.

Bunged the chicken, mushroooms, red onion, green pepper and kidney beans in the pan and added some olive oil, a freshly crushed garlic clove, some tumeric, crushed ginger, ground nutmeg, ground black pepper and ground mild chilli powder.

EDIT: Aah, Spag Bol, many a mans first attempt at a dinner, was mine too many years ago!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Last night I had a proper Roast Chicken dinner with roast potatoes, stuffing, carrots, peas & gravy. Usual Tuesday nite!! Ah no, it was to welcome home the boyfriend after a boozy stag weekend where he only ate (apparently) horrible kebabs while drunk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Baked salmon fillet with hollandaise sauce, baby potatoes, mushrooms, brocolli and stuffing.

Im trying to eat a bit more healthy - usually my dinner consists of something from the back of the freezer!

Pork fillets with roasted pumpkin and carrot and boiled potatoes, skin-on. The mum in law is here now and she's done the cooking for the last couple of days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mushroon risotto. Might do some battered John Dory tonight

Tonight, for the first time all week, I shall be having proper dinner. God I miss proper food.

We shall have chicken done in a cream & white wine sauce w. wild garlic (barlauch) and finely diced onion, on pasta (possibly self-made), w. broccoli and maybe some carrots on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

A friend of mine, who had given up on trying to get me and my girlfriend out for dinner, decided to invite us round for dinner saturday night, and it turned out to be far better than any restaraunt meal I've had in years:

we had, in order of courses:

smoked salmon and cherry tomato canapes
    pea and ham soup
    marinated tuna pieces (chilli based marinade, but nicely raw tuna)
    mushroom and lentil risotto
    Grilled sea bass fillets with salad and mustard mash
    cheese board (served with a lovely 1985 port)
    Creme Brulee

I was stuffed stupid after all that, managed to go through 2 bottles of rioja, 3 bottles of sauvignon blanc, 2 bottles of champagne and the port over a marathon 4 hour eating spree.

yum :)

On Saturday, I had a 'Roman' evening. My wife and a friend of hers spent the day recreating Roman recipes (as close as they could, allowing for modern tastes).

Surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Staying with my folks in the country for weekend, come from a family of foodies, yummy dinner last night. :) Smoked trout to start, then roast beef for dinner with roasties and spring veg and underneath the beef had broadbean mash (boil broadbeans, rinse, add olive oil and shave LOTS of parmesan into it, add mint and mash.............YUM.....it's sublime honestly) then freshly made rubarb crumble (make the crumble with Flahavans Oats, brown sugar, flour and marg.....YUM!) and ridiculous amounts of wine and port. I shall have to be rolled back to Dublin.

bonkey wrote:
    On Saturday, I had a 'Roman' evening. My wife and a friend of hers spent the day recreating Roman recipes (as close as they could, allowing for modern tastes).

Surprisingly good.

...you had fondue and an orgy?

But seriously, made enormous pot of chili on Sunday. It'll last for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Lamb Shoulder roasted in sunflower oil, crushed garlic and rosemary picked from my garden.
    New Potatoes, parboiled, then roasted in skins with pepper, oil, garlic and a whole block of gruyere cheese.
    Shttake mushrooms, Bok Choi, Organic Cherry Tomatoes, flash-fried.
    Rioja wine.

Ta-Da!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement