Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

mmmmm sounds delicious!!!

im on a diet at the moment... no greedy sauce...

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The sauce will make feck all difference to your diet tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Last night I cooked dinner for about 12 of us all in all.

Starters were roasted flat cap mushrooms covered with a mix of wildmushrooms fried with garlic and a slice of parma ham.

Then I made a giant pot of stroganoff using MAJD's recipe here as a start off point. This was accompanied by a big loaf of bread in the shape of a sheaf of corn and roasted vegetables.

Then we had a cheese board.

Finally we finished with apple pie and home made chocolate ice cream.

There was also copious amounts of red wine drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi tSubh Dearg,

Out of interest what else did you add to MAJD's recipe? I had read the recipe earlier in another thread and was thinking of making it during the week, having friends over for dinner...

Well I added the optional paprika for a start and because I was sizing it up I added a lot more mushrooms (I mixed button with chestnut mushrooms too) and I probably put in a bit more than necessary sour cream as I wanted a certain consistency.

I just add things by feel and taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had spanish style slow cooked oxtail with fried potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was a rack of lamb simply seasoned (salt pepper rosemary + lemon juice) and served with boiled baby spuds (in oil and sea salt) and baby carrots.

Last night we had a tapas spread - leftover spanish oxtail, chicken with garlic and bay in white wine, fried potatoes, anchovies with garlic, artichokes, green olives, gem lettuce with roast sweetcorn salsa, black pudding, grilled aubergine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minder wrote: »
    Last night we had spanish style slow cooked oxtail with fried potatoes.
    Minder - Any chance of posting the recipe? I have two oxtails at home & Mrs Billy wants something other than stew.

Spanish style oxtail

Finely dice 1 large onion, 2 celery sticks, 2 carrots, 3 cloves of garlic and sweat in a large pot. Season the oxtail pieces then dreg in flour and colour in a hot pan. Add a couple of tbsps of flour to the softened veg and mix through - cook for a couple of minutes. Add two tsps of sweet smoked paprika. Tie up a small bunch of thyme with a couple of bay leaves and add along with four cloves. Add 3/4 of a bottle of rioja and stir until smooth. Add the oxtail and top with water. Cover and cook on a low heat on the hob for two hours. Serve with fried potatoes or chips.

Variation - leave out the paprika and add two chopped chorizo sausages after about 90 minutes. I prefer the paprika to the chorizo because good chorizo sausages are hard to get.

Variation - If you have the time, roast the uncooked oxtail pieces before for about 1 hour at 170c - that helps break down the fat. I use a heat diffuser under the pot to stop the sauce from catching - floury sauces always seem to catch?

Not much to it really - ordinary oxtail with paprika (and no tomato). Always better the day after it is made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Easy, fast and very tastey.
    Had two chicken breasts cut them in strips and fried them in olive oil. Took them out of the pan and added a big knob of butter and turned the pan down. I added some thyme salt pepper and crushed pepper corns. Then some finely chopped onion and mushrooms and sweated them for about 5mins. Then I poured in some white wine and turned the heat up a bit rubbing the pan so all the tastey bits got in the sauce. Added a tub of double cream and put the chicken back in and simmered for 10mins so the chicken soaked up some of the taste. Had it with Brown rice. Probably have the rest tonight with home made spicey wedges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A bit of a 'What's left in the fridge' dinner:
    Olive oil, knob of butter, chopped red onion, scallions, mushrooms, a few cloves of garlic, dash if white wine, and some herbs/seasoning into a bowl with two chicken breasts. Removed breasts, and wrapped in rashers. Contents of bowl into a small baking dish, chicken on top. Some more olive oil, and into the oven for 35 minutes. Had it with some roasted baby potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Farasoi

Last night for dinner I had:

Currypuff with meat and potato filling
    Fried rice with anchovies and vegetables

The currypuffs are amazing, I'm planning to make sardine and potato filling currypuff this week but it depends on my mood. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

last night: pizza with mushrooms and bruschetta (toasted bread) with tomatoes in a roman pizzeria... im in rome at the moment... back to cork today :-)

Spaghetti with seafood - prawns, squid and salmon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Beef casserole.
    Onion, beef, yellow pepper, mushroom, thin slices of carrot, parsnip and potato.
    Meat, onion and mushroom flash fried and then cooked for two hours in the oven,
    yummy winter comfort food FTW.

Chicken stew with celery, carrots, leek, onion, potato and pearl barley. I mashed some of the potato and mixed it through to thicken the liquid. Finished with a scatter of chopped parsley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hmm, last night I had Italian-style canellini beans (slow cooked with celery, potato, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest [later removed and potato and garlic mashed and stirred in]) with roast sea bass (simply cooked whole with some lemon juice, salt, butter).

Really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I cooked chicken chasseur in the slow cooker yesterday, with sliced potatoes underneath so it simmered all afternoon and all I had to do was serve it up.
    Handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lamb's liver with rashers, accompanied by mashed spuds & mashed carrots & turnips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I cooked a massive shephards pie with veg on the side... Twas gorgeous if I do say so myself... Comfort food.. MMmmmmmmmm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The winter warmers have really kicked in this wekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Chicken Kievs with brie, bacon and garlic filling. Cooked some spicy potato wedges and garlic spuds to go with it. Had some homemade apple tart with custard for dessert.

Spicy meatballs and taglitele this evening. Can't wait.

Have a plan for some burnt cajun sea bass for later in the week. Haven't cooked it before but i'm hoping to get it done this week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Chinese Takeaway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Lamb's liver with rashers, accompanied by mashed spuds & mashed carrots & turnips.

So that's what they are having on the hills these days. Nice one Billy.:)

Last night I cooked salmon fillets on a bed of wilted spinach with roasted cherry tomatoes, boiled baby potatoes with pesto drizzled over it. Was really tasty and only took 10 mins.

Tonight I had a cheese and mushroom omlette with chips. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Been something of a thrown together week here. Everything taking less than 15 minutes. Roast chicken with salad one night, stir-fried prawns and vegetables with boiled rice the next, chicken fried rice the day after that, prawns with spaghetti the next day. Last night was egg fried rice (using the day before's cooked rice) with aduki beans and a couple of store-bought pies on the side.

Took a moment last night to gloat over my woks. Have finally managed to achieve a 'perfect' seasoning on two of the three of them. This means I can cook egg fried rice in a carbon steel wok and it doesn't stick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Breaded haddock drizzled with hollandaise sauce, mashed potatoes with onion, garlic and cheese, and mixed veg. Followed with strawberries and cream. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we had risotto with spinach, peas and parmesan. I was worried it wasn't going to taste the best but it was actually quite nice.

I also made a big pot of vegetable soup for the rest of the week. I feel like all I did this night was chop and peel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was macaroni & cheese (lashings of wholegrain mustard in the sauce) with chicken & asparagus, and we'll have the rest of that this evening.

Then tomorrow we're going to have chorizo & cannelini bean stew, then the OH is making coddle on Friday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement