Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

lamb casserole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spatchcocked a small chicken and seasoned it with tarragon and smoked paprika, salt and pepper. I picked the last of the aubergines from the garden, halved them and cut a hatched pattern in the cut side. Then pan fried for 10 minutes before roasting in the oven for 30 minutes with some fennel and cumin seeds. The aubergines were dressed with some dried cranberries, roast hazelnuts and feta cheese marinated in lemon juice and olive oil with garlic, chilli and fresh mint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tuesday was roast chicken with roasted veg (carrots, parsnips, squash & sweet potatoes).
    Mrs Billy turned the leftovers into a wonderful chicken & veg pie for last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was Roast chicken (stuff with lemon halves), roast spuds and roast veg (carrot, parsnip, onion, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Toasted cheese and tomato sandwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

pepperoni and mushroom omlette :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Swordfish steaks with a crushed red/white/black pepper and coriander crust, with fresh green beans and sauted potatoes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Last night I cooked salmon fillets on a bed of wilted spinach with roasted cherry tomatoes, boiled baby potatoes with pesto drizzled over it. Was really tasty and only took 10 mins.

I know what I'm making next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

was supposed to have pork chops but the cat manged to get to it first, so had slow roasted shoulder of lamb, it just fell apart. and enough leftovers to do the week yum yum

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Last night I made a really nice tomato sauce with mozzarella stired through it. So gooey and tasty.

Tonight it's roasted chicken thighs, rubbed with sesame oil and Chinese 5 spice, with roasted peppers and mushrooms :)

xzanti: here's the recipe, good ol' bbc website again! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/searedsalmonwithspin_89246.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night I made a really nice tomato sauce with mozzarella stired through it. So gooey and tasty.

Tonight it's roasted chicken thighs, rubbed with sesame oil and Chinese 5 spice, with roasted peppers and mushrooms :)

xzanti: here's the recipe, good ol' bbc website again! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/searedsalmonwithspin_89246.shtml

I couldn't live without the bbc food site. It's awesome for ideas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce á la Kevin Dundon's recipe on the RTE website. It was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Used the M&S chicken I got at the weekend in a chicken casserole. Loads of veg inc carrots, mushrooms, leeks, celery, etc. Served it with mashed spuds. Enjoyed it to a point as the 4yr old was over tired and had a fit that the sauce was close to her drumstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Pizza. With more pizza on the side. And some garlic bread.

I rolled out all the dough, where I normally freeze half of it.

Last night we had a mish mash of things, but the stand out dish was the sauce that went with the steak. Chimchurri - a blend of oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, cumin and smoked paprika. Will definitely be making that again.

Last night I had a big salad and grilled lamb chops.

Tonight I'm steaming some salmon for this evening's dinner and making a coq au vin for tomorrow's dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Last night I went to Cafe Bar Deli and had a seared steak and red onion pizza. It was crap. Their standard has dropped. Big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

last nite I had roast stuffed chicken, with baby potatoes and steamed veg...

Coq au vin is gorgeous today. Leaving it over night gives it so much more flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made pad thai noodles last night. Last few nights have been a bit of a mish-mash - bread, cheese, salads, beans, corn plus a roast chicken from the local chicken shop (who do great chickens that they rotary roast on a spit over an open charcoal basin... The one disadvantage is the heat of the shop when you go in to buy one!)

• Advertisement

Roast chicken, boiled spuds and a warm salad of roast red onion, parsnip and beetroot with a horseradish and sour cream dressing.

More Coq au Vin! Plus a salad and some tasty brown bread.

Made some fish cake type things this evening with salmon, crab meat and potato. I threw in an egg to bind it all together and seasoned the mix with smoked paprika. They were quite tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Coq au vin is gorgeous today. Leaving it over night gives it so much more flavour.

Do you have a recipe for it? It's a dish I've always wanted to make but have never got round too. I've looked for recipes online before but I think they looked complicated so I never tried it.
    Made pad thai noodles last night. Last few nights have been a bit of a mish-mash - bread, cheese, salads, beans, corn plus a roast chicken from the local chicken shop (who do great chickens that they rotary roast on a spit over an open charcoal basin... The one disadvantage is the heat of the shop when you go in to buy one!)

Did you end up buying a live chicken yet? We share a garden with our landlords (our flat is attached to their house) and they've just put in a chicken coop with about 5 chickens. It's a strange sight as we live so close to town. My OH keeps threatening to go over there under the cover of darkness and steal their eggs!

Tonight we're having potato dauphinoise, breaded chicken and veg. I bought some pumpkin at the market today which I was thinking about cooking tonight too (kiwis are big on eating pumpkin - all year around). I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I was thinking a pumpkin risotto but last time I made risotto I burned the saucepan and we had to throw it out! Was also thinking some kind of salad with walnuts and bacon. Any suggestions will be welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

frosties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Made some fish cake type things this evening with salmon, crab meat and potato. I threw in an egg to bind it all together and seasoned the mix with smoked paprika. They were quite tasty.

That sounds very good. :)

watna wrote: »
    Did you end up buying a live chicken yet? We share a garden with our landlords (our flat is attached to their house) and they've just put in a chicken coop with about 5 chickens. It's a strange sight as we live so close to town. My OH keeps threatening to go over there under the cover of darkness and steal their eggs!

We currently have five chickens (or six, one is so free range that she keeps pissing off). That's why I keep vetoing the purchase of any additional chicken thats not prepped for the pot. :D

watna wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for it? It's a dish I've always wanted to make but have never got round too. I've looked for recipes online before but I think they looked complicated so I never tried it.

Well that way I make it is super easy.

I get chicken jointed at the butcher into about 8 pieces, I also ask him for the carcass to make stock with.

You then take a big pot and brown the pieces of chicken in it. Then you brown pieces of pancetta or streaky bacon (I prefer pancetta myself). Next you brown about 12 little pearl onions (if you can't get these I use a smaller amount of a bigger onion, like a shallot, but cut it in two horizontally) and you can also add some garlic then, but you need to add more later as the flavour completely dissipates.

While the onions are still in there you deglaze the pot with Pinot Noir, it really has to be Pinot, other varieties of grapes are just not as good for flavour.

I usually add the whole bottle of wine (minus a glass for the chef), some chicken stock and add back in all the meat plus a bouquet garni and a couple of bay leaves. Then you bring it up to the boil and once it reaches a rolling boil you plonk it in the oven.

I would leave it in there for at least 1.5 - 2 hours. But about an hour in you will want to add the mushrooms (whole button mushrooms for preference but I've also used small chestnut mushrooms or I think they were called Parisean Browns)and some garlic and then back in the oven.

Then you take it out and I like to thicken up the sauce a bit then, if it hasn't and I sometimes add a splash of cream, which is strictly not kosher but is very tasty. When it's nice and thick serve it up with mashed potatoes or crispy baguette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Lemon sole, brocoli and mash potato with sundried tomatoes. It was yummy:)

• Advertisement

Starting to use up the store cupboard contents now as we approach moving time (and yes, there is probably four weeks of dried goods in our store cupboards.) Last night's dinner was a stew of sausages, puy lentils, sliced onions and beans, with stock to cook the lentils, flavoured with thyme, a little rosemary and some bay leaves. Very edible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement