Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Chicken korma with eggplant and corrgette and balti rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Starting to use up the store cupboard contents now as we approach moving time (and yes, there is probably four weeks of dried goods in our store cupboards.) Last night's dinner was a stew of sausages, puy lentils, sliced onions and beans, with stock to cook the lentils, flavoured with thyme, a little rosemary and some bay leaves. Very edible.

Sounds yummy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Last night was more straightforward. Slow-roasted a half leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary. Bought a vienna loaf down the bakery. Dinner was roast lamb with fresh, crusty bread, roasted peppers that had been skinned, julienned and tossed in some olive oil to go with their own juices, and roasted aubergine which was skinned and mashed with a little olive oil, some garlic and some sea salt.

Need to use up some pasta. Have been quite good about using up the contents of the freezer over the last while, not much in there at all at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

chicken kebabs and roasted veg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

3 day old Coq au Vin and some Bordelaise potatoes washed down with some Paulaner after a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    3 day old Coq au Vin and some Bordelaise potatoes washed down with some Paulaner after a tough day.

What are Bordelaise potatoes, please.

Mind that Paulaner, It'll give you an awful headache in the morning!

Spag bol, cooked by... HIMSELF!!!!! :D:D:D

(Am always utterly delighted when himself cooks. Don't care what it is, but there's joy to be had from having the non-cooking-half of the family plate something up twice a week, especially if you've not had to do anything to help.)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we are having roast wild quail with apple and pancetta. Pretty Tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For me, Tartiflette; for herself, a tart of roast pumpkin, spinach and gorgonzola. Big green salad on the side to cut through all that cheesiness.

Tonight I cooked up some giant tiger prawns with garlic, butter and lemon juice to start with.

Then we had some sea bass which I stuffed the cavity with parsley, butter and lemon wedges, then I steamed the whole lot in a bain marie. Served it with roasted peppers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Was at the in-laws last night and as it's Diwali on Tuesday my mother in law was on a baking spree. I ate my own body weight in Diwali biscuits. I don't know any of their names but they were delicious! MIL bakes for a full week before Diwali and some of the biscuits were really complicated. I was going to learn how to make some but she said it's taken her 10 years to perfect her Diwali recipes because she only make them once a year.

We also had a barbeque and I managed to eat some delicious marinated lamb but really I was full of biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

last night was homemade burgers with salad and weggies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

had stew last night and having burgers tonight:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had slow roasted leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, roasted baby potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots tossed in sauteed onions and butter.
    I have some leftover slices in the freezer, and enough bits to make scotch broth tomorrow :)

Tonight we had braised lamb shanks with flageolet beans on a bed of mash potato with gremolata and some french beans in a little garlic butter. Dessert was souffle pancakes with rhubarb and bramley.

Made relatively speedy cottage pie for Sunday dinner - not particularly classic recipe, but topped a sauce made with beef mince with couple of handfuls of grated cheese, then garlic mashed potatoes and back in the oven for 40 mins. Very rich.

Cooked dinner over at my parent's this evening. We had roast butternut squash with goat's cheese to start, then we had Nigella's party poussin for 4 but with homemade oven chips rather than cous cous. Finished the evening off with apple crumble.

Yesterday myself and mum made the Christmas pudding mixture and also mincemeat. I cooked up the mincemeat this evening and I'll be going over to jar it tomorrow. The pudding mix is going to get cooked tomorrow (what else are bank holiday Monday's for?).

Monday night I did roast beef.

Tuesday I did marinated chicken wings. I made a sauce out of Hoi Sin, sesame oil and a bit of soy sauce. Had it with mushrooms roasted with some balsamic vinegar and parma ham.

Wednesday I was lazy and got a pizza.

Tonight I made Toad in the Hole with Toulouse sausages and normal sausages, I was bit worried it wouldn't rise properly but it was huge and puffy when it came out of the oven. Had it with some chopped fried mushrooms.

I also made a big pot of carrot and ginger soup with stock from the quail we had last week. We've been having it for lunch.

Productive week, Tsubh!

The lack of locally available fast food in this place is useful in one way, because it means our fast food meals have gone from being Indian takeaway or pizza to being a whole roast chicken from the charcoal chicken place, with wholegrain bread, salad, sliced tomatoes and avocado, coleslaw and some chopped fruit.

It's made me realise that the attraction of fast food isn't that it's bad for you and very tasty, it's mainly that as long as food is palatable and most importantly, cooked by someone else, you'll eat it. May sound obvious, but it took a good six months for the salt-fat-and-curry cravings to wear off when I moved outside the local delivery area of any Indian takeaway. Once they did, I don't care what 'takeaway' means as long as it's edible and someone else cooks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I've had a weekend of colcannon and barm brack, nuts and apples. And it's winter, so no more salad! In with the soup!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I made my own cornish pasties, spurred on by the cornish pasty thread that was running last week. They were fab :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Had some neighbours over last night so we had the following:

Shepard's Pie

Melt some 55g of butter in a saucepan
    Throw in one large onion, one carrot and some finely chopped celery
    Once that mix is soft throw 450g of mince meat into the mixture
    When that has browned sprinkle a tablespoon/teaspoon (can't remember now) of flour into the mix and stir
    Add 250ml of beef stock to the mix and continue to stir
    Then throw in some tomato puree and season with salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for 45mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally
    After 45mins, add two teaspoons of wholegrain mustard and stir.

Cook some potatos, mash and add some pepper and milk. Turn the meat mixture into an appropriate dish and slap the potatos on top. Put it into an oven @ 200 for 25mins to brown.

For dessert we had Apple Crumble. I've never made it before but I was happy at how tastey it was and how easy it was to make. I'll add the recipe here later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am having Stew tonight , or Casserole as its with Beef, all good tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chicken stew tonight.

Really, what could be easier & more tasty than fecking a chicken, chopped veg, some thyme, bay, salt & pepper into a pot with some water & simmering for a couple of hours?

I had pasta primavera last night with lots of veg in it.

I've had a weekend of just eating and drinking so I don't think pasta made with lots of cream was the best idea! Think tonight will have to be something a bit more healthy.

Friday we had left over Toad in the Hole, homemade chips, chicken wings and onion gravy. Mmmmm finger picky dinner.

Saturday we had really nice striploin steaks.

Ate at my parent's on Sunday, roast chicken, mashed potatoes, loads of veg and my dad's gravy. We also had one of our little Christmas puddings, it was the runt of the mixture but it was good to see what they're going to taste like when we have them in December.

Tonight was just plain old pasta with pesto, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.

Tonight, I fancy a bread and cheese/nice sandwich night so I'm just boiling upsome chicken thighs so we can have chicken in our sandwiches. Before I moved to NZ I would only ever buy chicken breasts but they are so so expensive here that I've come around to the idea of buyinh chicken legs or thighs and tearing the meat off them for meals. It's about half the price and tastes just as yummy - plus you can get a kind of watery stock to use in meal preparation if you boil the legs or thighs in water.

Getting out some fresh spinach, mayo, cheese (cheddar and brie) some crackers and nice bread.

Not a cooking night in the watna household!

Roast chicken with harissa and ras al hanout (spice) on a bed of cous cous with red onion, sultanas and dried cranberries, hazelnuts, fresh coriander and mint. I made a light chicken stock with the backbone and scraps from the chicken and used that to soak the cous cous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tonight I made Toad in the Hole with Toulouse sausages and normal sausages, I was bit worried it wouldn't rise properly but it was huge and puffy when it came out of the oven. Had it with some chopped fried mushrooms.
    Gotta good recipe for toad? I've tried it before and it fell flat (literally). Not sure where that recipe came from and I'm 99% sure I cocked something up, but would appreciate a recipe that you know works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i made jamie's sausage cassoulet, its supposed to look like this:
    lrg_1439.jpg

and mine turned out like this:
    spa0013rf1.jpg
    w640.png

i need a bigger tin and sage for the next one.
    w2048.png
    my.php?image=spa0013qg2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement