Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

corblimey wrote: »
    Gotta good recipe for toad? I've tried it before and it fell flat (literally). Not sure where that recipe came from and I'm 99% sure I cocked something up, but would appreciate a recipe that you know works.
    I used Anthony Worrell Thompson's recipe from (surprise, surprise) the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/toadinthehole_3354.shtml

The only thing I changed was that I used butter instead of dripping and I don't think I left it to stand for even 30 mins (though I'm sure that would be even better) I just left it for as long as it took to cook the sausages.

Oh I also used a different mustard, a German sausage one, but that was just cause it tastes amazing.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

I made celery soup last night - very simple.

I chopped 2 smallish onions, 2 cloves of garlic, about 7 / 8 celery stalks, one potato(peeled) and sweated that with a good knob of butter in a pan with the lid on for about 10 mins. Then I threw in about 800 mls of chicken stock -made with stock cube- , a quick shake of cumin and about a heaped teaspoon of mild curry powder, tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Cooked for about another 10 mins and then blitzed it until it was really really smooth, added some milk and reheated.

Nothing else, just a few steaming bowls of soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Bread-Crumb Turkey Steaks.

Easy to make. Take a turkey breat beat the ****e out of it. Roll around in a raw egg then roll around in bread crumbs. Leave it in the fridge for a half hour take out and fry or bake. Serve on a bed of salad

In the breadcrubs I added:

Salt
    4 Seasons Pepper
    Paprika
    Pinch Of Chili Powder
    Garlic Powder
    A mixture of fresh mixed herbs

Twas Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lamb curry with spinach - the Rick Stein Recipe - tarka dhal, rice, raita and poppadums with chutneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I made steak Diane using very thin steaks with these crashed potato things that didn't really work out because I didn't have the right kind of potato. They tasted alright though. To make them you boil potatoes until they are quite soft, squiah them with a masher so they become flat oval shapes and brush olive oil on top with pepper, salt and rosemary. Mine didn't squish very well but we still ate them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Last night we had pork chops cooked on the griddle pan, with herby mash(i used butter, chives,parsley,rosemary and thyme) and made a creamy mustard sauce with dijon mustard and cream, salt and pepper boiled up for a few minutes and it was delish! Served with some green breans and carrotts.

I was lazy last night and got a really good Thai takeaway from Saba To Go. Have the left overs for my lunch tomorrow.

Tonight I'm attempting salmon with a creamy prawn and spinach sauce. Will edit post once eaten :)

EDIT: Tasted pretty good. Think the sauce would go well with pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Went out last night for an impromptu birthday celebration for the cousins. Ended up in Ginza Teppanyaki in Melbourne.

Had sashimi and 'salad' for starters, with a bowl of miso soup, and mains were prawns, then scallops, then vegetables, squid and fillet steak, all cooked in front of us. Finished up with fried rice. It came with all of the accompanying shenanigans - flipping omelette into your mouth from the grill, and making you move backwards until you're sitting about 10 feet away from the chef, who proceeds to throw a stack of rice bowls to you that you have to catch in the ever-increasing stack in your hands. The last bowl has rice in it. and naturally he either spins or flips that when he throws it. (Cheeky.) It's a little wonder they give you a large bib when you sit down. :)

Food was very good - I find the fish and meats for teppanyaki really have to be perfect - fresh that day in terms of the seafood for instance. The restaurant doesn't look like much, but the seafood was certainly fresh.

There were amusing shenanigans behind us at one stage, where the manager was showing a new waitress how, when you take a large, fresh lobster out of the tank, you need to cover its eyes when you bring it to the table to show the guests before you cook it. He said it would stay quieter if its eyes were covered - personally I think he was worried his $98-per-head-lobster-teppanyaki table might baulk if their dinner made eye contact with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I made celery soup last night - very simple.

I chopped 2 smallish onions, 2 cloves of garlic, about 7 / 8 celery stalks, one potato(peeled) and sweated that with a good knob of butter in a pan with the lid on for about 10 mins. Then I threw in about 800 mls of chicken stock -made with stock cube- , a quick shake of cumin and about a heaped teaspoon of mild curry powder, tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Cooked for about another 10 mins and then blitzed it until it was really really smooth, added some milk and reheated.

Nothing else, just a few steaming bowls of soup.

made this tonight, added a chilli for good measure. was very nice, over done it a bit with the cumin but still very nice.

Smoked haddock, spinach and cheese tart, a few fried potatoes and a rocket and watercress salad, followed by a french apple pie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sticky roast chicken marinated in plum sauce, honey, wholegrain mustard, soy sauce and a little oil - with roasted baby potatoes, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

I was lazy last night and got a really good Thai takeaway from Saba To Go.
    awww that place is the best takeaway in Dublin... it's as good as the stuff in Thailand

Last night we had maple syrup glazed roast poussins, cornbread, roast sweet potatoes and a stuffing made from red onion, celery and some of the cornbread crumbed - I don't bother stuffing the mixture inside the bird, rather season and mix an egg through it, then into a buttered dish and into the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

Hmmmm can I have your cornbread recipe, if it's any good?

Last night was a cheaty M&S dinner. Chicken breasts with pesto and mozzarella, some spinach and tomatoes. Was really nice.

Tonight I cooked salmon in a bain marie with some lemon and herbs. Served it with garlicky green beans and chips.

Also currently making a casserole for tomorrow's dinner and Thursday's lunch. Need to make something for tomorrow's lunch in a little while too.

Late chicken sammich and a cup of tea. :)

We've discovered some utterly gorgeous bread available from the local supermarkets - a company has twigged to the benefits of producing an artisanal-style loaf and they make these thick-cut loaves that give big, rectangular slices. We buy whole grain and whole seed bread but they also do a sour dough that looks good.

Had two slices of that with roast chicken breast, half a ripe avocado sliced, and a large ripe tomato sliced, pepper, salt and mayonnaise. With a mug of scald.

The best local tea we've found down here is Twinings Irish Breakfast teabags, which make the best tea, (which they'd want to since it's about $9 for 100 teabags!) The locally produced stuff is like dust in a cotton bag. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Had delicious simple dinner last night- Bacon, Cabbage and mashed spuds. You can't beat the simple things in life! ;)

Tonight we're having spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce- YUMMY!!!

I'm also going to do a spot of baking tonight. Gonna cook Parkin. Saw the recipe on Something for the Weekend. Looks yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

my mum (the cook) is away for the week so the kitchen is my oyster!
    last night i cooked an unreal T-bone steak marrenated with onions and garlic on the griddle! :p with a side order of chips and a heineken to wash it all down while watching tv!
    ahhhh the joys of a free house! :D

My chicken casserole the other evening was yummy!

Tonight I'm going to make chicken teriyaki once my young man get home.

Wednesday night I had minute steak and corn on the cob done on the barbeque and we made some mashed potatoes.

Last night we got some yummy kebabs from a Turkish cafe and ate them on the beach in the sun.

Tonight I'm off to another barbeque and the sun is splitting the rocks. :D

At the moment emigrating = good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

seen this on telly a few days ago and thought it looked nice, its African pilaf rice, didnt make the salad as damn supermarket had no corriander, why can they never stock enough of this stuff!!

turned out lovely and its dead easy to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Tonight i'm having a floor picnic with subh, featuring: potato skins, sticky chicken kebab things, little mini filo pastry thingies, prawn selection and cheese wrapped in bacon...ooh and pudding of the self-saucing chocolate persuasion...am happy now!

We might also crack open a bottle of wine in a little while.

We had pasta with bacon, mushrooms and philidelphia cheese... scrummilicious!:D:D

:DTried out new recipe last night! Was absolutely gorgeous! It was Chicken, Brocolli and Ginger in Oyster Sauce served with Noodles... it was so tasty... went a bit heavy on the ginger though, was dying with heartburn after! lol!

Roast chicken this evening with chips and gravy. Chocolate puddings for afters.

Roast beef, roast spuds, carrots and peas and gravy... with cream pastry slices for afters... I had two :D

Last night we had a roast chicken, potato dauphinoise and carrot and pasnip mash - followd by a blueberry Danish.

Tonight will be chicken leftovers - and I'm having chicken sandwiches for lunch today!

Sausage and butterbean casserole with rice. Not the food of the gods, but functional and satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slow roast belly pork with tons of crackling, baked potatoes and braised cabbage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement