Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maggie Simpson

Haddock cumberland pie from M&S (buy one, get one half price), tomato salad, steamed broccoli & char-grilled asparagus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Even MORE chicken salad. There's a leg of lamb in the fridge. I might do something with that this week. (It's vaccum packed so it has a long use-by date.)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Had leg of lamb last night at my parents. It was delicious.

I also went on mad cooking binge. Tonight we are having the first of my labours, a fish pie.

I also made brownies yesterday, they are wickedly chocolatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Curry night - we had a chicken and spinach curry that i picked out of Atul Kochlars book, rice and tarka dhal. The curry turned out fine but the four whole green chillies I added for a kick, were completely kickless.:confused:

Chicken casserole this evening. Another of my weekend's cooking extavaganza dishes.

• Advertisement

Roasted my leg of lamb yesterday - picked some fresh rosemary and some lemons out of the garden, and into each hole I made I spiked the lamb with a sprig of rosemary, a sliver of garlic and a slice of lemon peel. Then sprinkled over sea salt. Cooked slow and low, and then poured over pomegranate molasses in the last 20 minutes. Very, very tasty.

Also made some hummus, which will go into wraps with cold lamb, chili and salad today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That sounds delicious minesajackdaniels. mmmmmmm
    Yesterday I had baked seabass with a garlic,mushroom and cream sauce with added fried onion(a scwhartz best:o:o), fried whole mushrooms and floury boiled roosters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tis quite hot here at the moment so had a summery meal last night. Had cous cous, vegetables and various salads (green salad and a three bean/lemon one)

I'm actually not a big fan of summery food. I like hearty grub but it is too warm to be eating wintery foods!

Tonight it's a summery foods night - have cold lamb, hummus from last night, am making a beetroot dip, a guacamole, some baba ganouche, and having lamb with flat breads and various vegetable dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wishbone

I had duck confit from a tin - opened tin, took out (already cooked) duck, toasted it in oven for 15 mins, same time roasted slightly some cold boiled potatoes I had done the other day, served with some cooked frozen green beans - fabulous! I got the duck from <snip>.
    And the other day I had bacon courtesy of Aldi - 1.99 for a kilo of smoked bacon end chunks, cabbage, carrots, celery and potatoes...all done in pressure cooker - another fab dins...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

muckety wrote: »
    Are the Lidl quail frozen or fresh? Worth trying?
    kenco wrote: »
    How did these go for you HB? Was there enough in one for a mountain man like yourself?

Sorry for not responding before now folks. The quail are frozen. Definitely worth trying though.

There are 4 in a pack - enough for 2 as a main. Would also be good as a starter for 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've just finished slicing potatoes for potato gratin tonight. Having it with steak, carrots, leeks and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I had fillet steak with mash potatoes and fried red pepper, mushrooms and onions......

Going to have lemongrass chicken tonight, with egg fried rice I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I made diced pork in a tomato sauce last night.
    Fried peppers,onion,mushrooms and chilli pepper.
    Whole lot into pasta and a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Enough for two nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

Had leg of lamb last night at my parents. It was delicious.

I also went on mad cooking binge. Tonight we are having the first of my labours, a fish pie.

I also made brownies yesterday, they are wickedly chocolatly.

Oh, do you mind posting the recipe for those brownies? I'm looking for a good one at the moment. I tried Jamie Oliver's brownies but they were a little too.........sugary for my liking, not too sweet, just too sugary. If that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If it's any help I make brownies with this recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/richchocolatebrownie_1933.shtml

and they are awesome. Every time we go to friends for dinner I'm asked to make them. They're pretty easy too. You just have to be careful to mix the ingredients slowly or else you get puffs of flower trapped in the mixture and it's weird!

hmm, I want brownies now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

having beef stir fry tonight:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

I had nothing that i could cook into a decent meal so we had a slice of stale toast with flora, 3 potato croquettes and 3 tesco min spring rolls and a tin of sliced pineapple...I have to go shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had Lidl venison steaks in a blackcurrent sauce (from bbc good food site), baby spuds and green beens. Washed down with a tasty (and cheap) Shiraz/CabSav.

It was very good and top marks to Lidl. The venison (frozen) was as good as I have tasted compared to SQ, etc. Well worth the tennor or so for 4 steaks (more than enough for 2)

Thanks to Hill Billy for his tips on the Lidl Quail as that is planned for tomorrow night!

• Advertisement

having homemade burgers and rice tonight

the Lidl Quail as that is planned for tomorrow night!
    How'd it go?

Last night I did homemade "chicken dippers" & wedges for HB Jr I to see how he'd compare them to the ones from Apache Pizza. All I can say is that Apache had better watch out! :D

(Bless my son & his discerning palate!)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

we had the nicest dinner I have had in a long time last night. We had Lamb Chops (the most tender ones I've ever had and we got them half price:D) with stir-fried sugar snaps and beetroot and shoestring chips! Delicious!

Last night ended up having freezer medley, due to an enduring hangover interfering with all desire to cook.

had a lovely roast dinner tonight, courtesy of granny, chicken and all the trimings:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I spatchcocked a full-sized chicken and roasted it smothered in plum sauce, wholegrain mustard, soy sauce, honey and a little oil. It was sticky and yummy and we had it with a tray of roasted tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and potatoes.

In Denmark at the moment so eating copious amounts of their hotdogs! Will post the brownie recipe when I get home.

Last night we ate at friend's of my grandfather's and had lobster soup to start, followed by incredibly good lamb served with some sort of chopped potatoes with garlic mush and a cherry sauce that was incredibly good with the lamb. It really brought out the meatiness of it.

We finished up with a wicked dessert that involved cream, honeycomb bits, almonds, and a sort of toffee/caramel sauce. Plus coffee and homemade biscuits. The Danes really know how to feed you!

Tonight I am cooking a chicken hotpot sort of thing. Not sure how it will turn out but we'll just play it by ear.

I started last night by boiling a whole chicken, intending to make a stew sort of dish because it's approaching Christmas and we're missing our winter foods (plus it's a cold snap and it's only 20 degrees :D).

Put a whole chicken in a 5L saucepan with enough water to cover, two bayleaves, a heaped teaspoonful of whole peppercorns, two onions and two carrots. Simmer for an hour, then turn the heat off and leave in the stock to cool.

On removing the chicken, I realised that because I'd left the skins on the onions the stock was very brown instead of very clear. Wasn't happy, then got inspired and made a simple but extremely tasty thai noodle soup instead.

I have those herb paste tubes at home - garlic, ginger, hot chili, lemongrass. I fried about a tablespoon of each of garlic, ginger and lemongrass in a little oil - more warming through than frying, almost. Then I added two chopped birds eye chilis, fry off for a minute, then two teaspoons of turmeric. It'll turn into a sort of golden paste. Then I added a few ladles of the chicken stock to the paste, stirring all the while so it turned into a golden broth.

After that, I variously added rice noodles to cook in the broth, then more stock, a bag of beansprouts, a few chopped spring onions, the shredded chicken I had taken off the chicken carcass, a generous splash of fish sauce and a huge handful of chopped coriander. I added boiled water from the kettle occasionally to make sure it stayed soupy - it doesn't take even 10 minutes to cook the soup once the initial chicken simmering stock-making part is over.

It was absolutely bloody marvellous, served with a teaspoon of hot chili sauce on top (to be stirred into the soup) and a half a lime to squeeze over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Hill Billy wrote: »
    How'd it go?

Last night I did homemade "chicken dippers" & wedges for HB Jr I to see how he'd compare them to the ones from Apache Pizza. All I can say is that Apache had better watch out! :D

(Bless my son & his discerning palate!)

Thanks for the tip Hill Billy

Did the Quail just as you suggested with some fennel gratin and roast spuds. Very nice.
    Have you tried their Pheasant yet?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip Hill Billy

Did the Quail just as you suggested with some fennel gratin and roast spuds. Very nice.
    Have you tried their Pheasant yet?

Glad it worked out for you.

I haven't tried their pheasant as I'm blessed with a god neighbour who drops me in a brace occasionally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement