Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

Quick veggie meal and everything from aldi except the relish. 2 flat mushrooms baked with a bit of olive oil on them (pesto is good too), in a toasted floury bap with a slice of cheddar, sliced tomatoes and ballymaloe relish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

watna wrote: »
    If it's any help I make brownies with this recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/richchocolatebrownie_1933.shtml

and they are awesome. Every time we go to friends for dinner I'm asked to make them. They're pretty easy too. You just have to be careful to mix the ingredients slowly or else you get puffs of flower trapped in the mixture and it's weird!

hmm, I want brownies now!

I made these and they were delicious but the only problem was that instead of little puffs of flour I had little tiny balls of sugar. Some of the sugar/butter mixture stuck to the end of the pan so I'm guessing maybe I had it on too high heat. Also they didn't need nearly as much time in the oven as that recipe suggested, but maybe I had the oven too hot too!
    Caught my sister sneaking some out of the house though so I think generally they were a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had a salmon and prawn laksa - a spicy coconut soup base with rice noodles, the fish, shiitake mushrooms and soya beans, plenty of chopped mint and coriander and a pile of bean shoots.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Went out for huge, amazingly good value, lunch in Roly's yesterday for my birthday. I had prawn bisque, braised oxtail with button mushrooms wrapped in filo and served with pureed celeriac. I then had a lemon meringue puff for dessert which was served with orange and mandarins. It was all really good and something like €22 for 3 courses including tea and coffee.

Was so filling didn't eat anything else that evening.

Tonight, I am cooking guinea fowl with mediterranean herbs from the butcher with roasted mushrooms and asparagus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hmmm all this gorgeous that ye all are cooking!

I dont know how you all do it - everything is so complicated!

Moving into my new house in the next couple of months and getting a Rangemaster electric cooker so hopefully i'll get a little more adventerous than what i am at the min

But tonight.....hoping to make Macoroni & Cheese - my fav comfort food :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

We had homemade burgers with shoestring chips last night! I was so stuffed afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Butternut squash risotto, very filling and perfect for a cold and miserable winter's evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had the remains of a leg of cold lamb in the fridge today. Was roasted med rare, and I'm not crazy about taking cold rare meat for sandwiches, so I cut some slices. Caramelised some onions on a low heat, added lamb, a little tumeric, a little cumin, some garlic and ginger pastes, some chopped mint, chopped tomatoes, a handful of chickpeas, then added a little lamb stock. Cooked everything, then threw in couscous to absorb the remaining stock. Turn heat off, put lid on - the hot liquid + steam cooks the couscous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

last night i had a cheese sandwich for dinner,i kid you not.im starvin!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I cooked a recipe from Rachel Allen's cook book - spicy sausage in a creamy tomato sauce. Really quick and tasty. cook some garlic in oil, add two tins of chopped tomato and some rosemary. simmer for 10 mins. then add a small fresh cream and some chopped chorizo sausage with a little parsley. simmer till reduces by half. serve with penne pasta. Really tasty, really quick and great for non cheffy people like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A dopiaza-style chicken curry last night. Served with a selection of pickles & chutneys that I picked up at the Craft Show in the RDS at the weekend.

Bought a whole chicken & butchered it for the curry. Have the carcass in a pot now with carrots, celery, leeks, onions, thyme & bay to make chicken-bone soup for this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

Home made chicken tikka masala, yummy followed by the ultimate brownie from good houskeeping but i put a christmas twist and instead of hazelnuts i added sun dried cranberries and mixed spice served it warm with vanilla ice cream. I couldn't move afterwards but i had another piece of brownie at lunchtime.:D

Monday I cooked pan fried duck breasts (frozen from Lidl - really tasty!) with chips and roasted red peppers.

Last night I had a bit of fail as I tried to modify a hot and sticky quail recipe for pheasant. As they needed longer to cook, I should have put some tin foil over the top as it burnt a bit. Still tasty though. Had baked potato with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I did a roast chicken with roast veg. I squished some herb butter under its skin, covered it in lemon juice and olive oil and stuffed the squeezed lemons and garlic up its bum. Really good value (3.30 for a small chicken for the two of us) and I got lunch from it today too. Nyam.

tSubh Dearg- how much were the lidl duck breasts?

I think they were 2.99 each, can't remember as I got them a couple of weeks ago. But they are huge. If you're not a big eater, or you have a lot of stuff on the side, you could totally share one between two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for them. There was a Come Dine With Me on at the weekend where two of the hosts were using duck so I thought I'd give it a go (mine will be better than their's though :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Home made Spag bol last night. Went very well with an Italian Sangiovese.

Tonight we are having grilled salmon with chips and roasted flat brown top mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

last night was grilled prawns with lots of garlic and salad and garlic bread.. Breath wasn't too healthy this morning;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds yum looptheloop :)

Today I made a meatball casserole in the slow cooker, it simmered away all day while we put up the Christmas tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Had roast beef, potatoes, peas & carrots and gravy. It was all right, will probably eat rubbish later to compensate. Must have a word with the chef:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Today was roast ****, with roast potatoes veg. etc. It was a trial run for Christmas, as I hadn't roasted a duck before. Turned out well, so it'll be on the menu for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roast **** eh? How'd that work out for ya? (Total freudian typo tbh :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

roast venison in red wine beautifull and really healthy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Roast **** eh? How'd that work out for ya? (Total freudian typo tbh :D)

I actual know the meaning of the word LOL now - I'm sitting in here giggling away.

On a related note, our xmas gift from work is a little portable bbq. It comes with an instruction leaflet - at the end of this leaflet it tells you not to bum indoors...... we think it meant burn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Oh dear. :o I only had one glass of wine with dinner, I swear.

Anyway, after that we had DUCK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast leg of lamb studded with rosemary, garlic and ginger, roast spuds, parsnips, sweet potatoes and carrots, fine green beans, a cauliflower cheese and lots of gravy. Later we had a cheese board that included one of the best stiltons I've ever had - beautiful white cheese base with a good marble of blue - creamy and with great flavour. So many stiltons taste like blue soap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I had skewered chicken satay this evening with chips. We are having visitors next weekend and want to have them as a starter so we tried them tonight and they were gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

had chicken korma tonight with rice

• Advertisement

Last night we had stuffed roast pork as my mum was having a pork craving, what with not being able to have it for a week! Served with spinach, roasted potatoes, roasted root veg, apple sauce and gravy.

Tonight we had roast chicken with oven roasted chipped potatoes.

I also made mince pies for the first time at the weekend. Total success!

And for tomorrow's lunches I have made a slightly hot tomato sauce and put in some Italian sausage that I had in the fridge, just pasta needed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement