Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we met friends for a drink - and then went to Nando's. It was exactly what I needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Last night had home made 3-in-1.

Anyone have fool-proof recipe for making Fried Rice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Chuck some already cooked (boiled) rice in a pan with some soy sauce.

I was told to put egg in it

I tried it last night but it made the rice sticky - mayb the wok wasnt hot enough or something???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

Use cold boiled rice and scramble the egg in the pan you're using before adding the rice :) I had a couple of disasters in the past with adding raw egg on top of the rice in the pan, it turned out kinda tasty but more 'sticky rice balls' than fried rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yes you can. I usually put egg, peas, spring onion and sometimes prawns. Crack the egg in, and give it a good whisk, so you're almost making scrambled egg. Rice in on top then, and whatever else you want.

Thanks a million!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I had steak, chips, roast carrots and roast balsamic onions. FXB's steak, absolutely delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I had homemade fresh cod and chips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Totally uninspired food the last few nights. Had porkchops earlier in the week, which were excellent - haven't bought them since I got here, since the Aussies just can't "do" the pig, but the pork chop appears to be an exception to that rule. They were sweet and tender and marvellous.

Otherwise, can't make the weather match the mood - my genetic clock wants stew and longjohns, my environment demands smoked fish and prawns with dipping sauce. Christmas goodies are everywhere, but it's not cold enough to want to eat loads and not move off the couch.

That plus every waking moment I have is "will the house be ready will the house be ready", so I've done nothing about cooking.

As a result I've compromised over the last few days, with a diet that has almost exclusively consisted of drinking cold beers, eating smoked salmon straight out of the packet and having coffee and mince pies for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm feeling the body wanting xmas food but the environment wanting salads thing. I've got so much food from workj, xmas pud and cakes and baked hams but I really don't feel like xmas food - it's weird.

Had my xmas party today - had a lot of mexican food (the party theme) and a lot lot lot to drink. It's taken me ages to write this coherently!

My parents arrive from Ireland tomorrow so I'm making a lasagne and salad so it's ready to go when they get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast chicken dinner with mash, roast supds, broccolli, roast parsnips & carrots and lashings of homemade gravy.

Well...

Had an unsurprising Christmas dinner, involving turkey, ham and sides. There were two turkeys, and both suffered from a peculiar 'moist but tough' syndrome that made them unpleasantly chewy.

Ham was bloody awful, but that's because Australians can't do ham. It always tastes like pints of brine are pumped into the meat. None of the sweet, flaky dryness of a proper roast ham, useful for sandwiches for days afterwards.

Veg was fine, roast carrots and roast parsnips, a good cauliflower cheese and a large bowl of mixed peas and corn.

Christmas Eve, by contrast, we had barbecue ribs with char siu sauce, followed by an enormous pavlova with strawberries, blueberries, tinned peach slices and a can of pomegranate pulp, all piled on to a pint of whipped cream. God it was bloody marvellous, and we made it while we were pissed too...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Christmas Eve: Traditional Danish rice porridge to start served with butter, sugar, cinnamon and Nisse Øl (a sweet malt drink).

Then we had roast wild pheasants with pears and pancetta, served with mashed potatoes, root veg mash and red cabbage.

Yesterday was the traditional turkey, ham etc etc.

All in all it was very tasty and we have tons of leftovers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Last night I had a can of coke, a packet of crisps and a chicken sandwich from the local Spar.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Last night I had fish that tasted like rubber and black vegetables. Im hoping to go organic from now on.

Its better to grow your own stuff or pay a bit extra for fresh food. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Last night I had meat sung, spring rolls and a portion on chicken satay skewers from the Peony Palace in Clane... Quite nice, very greasy though... Tonight we have Domino's on the way.. Large Texas BBQ chicken and a combo box... MMMmmmmm..

Last night I used up most of the remainder of the turkey with Turkey Teriyaki served on a bed of sesame oilled noodles.

Was a different way to use the leftovers and went down quite well with the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

Lemon chicken with spagetti pasta made from scratch.

Recipe here.

Left out the olives but tasted great all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

chicken breasts on the bone roasted in rosmary and garlic. leeks friend in a little butter and roast potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I made fillet steak with roast veg... twas quite nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

dlambirl wrote: »
    Thanks a million!!!

also a fresh chopped tomatoe keeps it nice and moist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Surf and Turf! Nice bit of Striploin lightly seasoned and a Lidl Lobstar halved with butter sauce thermidorish! Served with mustard mash which worked and some root veg which did not!

Previous night was roast free range chicken with roast spuds and brocc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Last night I had a homemade stew. Cooked bacon in olive oil and garlic, added a can of tomatoes with some tobasco, tomato puree, chilli flakes and a small dash of worcester sauce. Then I added seven bean mix that I had prepared brought to the boil and simmered for just under 20 minutes. Could have done with some tomato ketchup for the sauce and some veggies but both supermarkets near me were closed when I went to get em. Still nice though.

Have moved house! So am back to cooking. Any night I don't cook it's because we've bought a charcoal-spit-roast chicken from the local shop.

Eating pretty healthily - have a couple of large packets of rice papers in the pantry. These are good when you have a lot of cold chicken kicking about - you basically prepare a number of bowls, with shredded raw veg - carrots, cucumber, peppers, spring onions and so on. Shred the cold cooked chicken and bring it to the table too. Then make up a few dipping sauces - sweet chili is always a good one, but there are a number of different types of sauces you can make up.

I got some inspiration from both vietnamese and szechuan cookbooks and made up some sauces that range through the 'sweet, sour, hot salty' range, using things like fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chili paste, garlic paste, soy sauce, ketjap manus and so on. The result is a very satisfying eat - plus they're a little fiddly, meaning the meal lasts longer, so you eat less because you're eating more slowly over a longer time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Clearing out the freezer & came across a couple of cooked lobsters & 2 bags of crab claws. Made a spiced (curry powder, fennel seed & chilli flakes) crab & lobster chowder.

Tonight I roasted a chicken and mushrooms and red peppers.

I stripped the carcass and made some stock and currently have a pot of sweet potato, carrot and chicken soup on the boil. This we will have for lunch for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had garlic chicken kiev's with champ and spinach and roasted veg

Tuesday night he had salmon and I had tuna, both with roasted mushrooms and some homemade oven chips.

Last night I cooked a marinated rack of lamb from the butcher and served with roasted red peppers, roasted asparagus and boiled baby potatoes. I also did a very tasty and healthy apple crumble for dessert.

Tonight it's going to be stir fried king prawns with lots of vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Omelette with bacon, peppers, onions & tomatoes topped with grated cheddar. Neapolitan salad on the side. Glass of red on the other side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement