Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Been living out of the wok for a few nights - stir fried everything with various additions. One for instance is stir fried beef with brocolli and mushrooms in oyster sauce. I like to take a second wok out and do stir-fried pak choi with ginger, garlic and chili - takes just a few minutes and is a good source of greens to heap up high on the plate. Had vietnamese clay pot pork recently - slow-cooked pieces of lean pork basically stewed with fish sauce, 'caramel' sauce (which is a brown sugar and water reduction that turns into a black, sweet sauce) and lots of black pepper. Extremely tasty, serve with lots of rice and a big side of stir fried greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Moussaka with potatoes parmentier and pan fried tomatoes with a balsamic glaze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Homemade veg and beef soup with the bone.........yummee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lasagne with lots of crusty bread. Yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Hmmmmm^^ I now know what Im having tonight Dizzy - love lasagne:)

Last nite we had fillet steak, with mashed potatoes and fried onions, peppers and mushrooms... follwed by sticky toffee pudding..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fillet steak, gratin dauphinois, vegetables, garlic butter and pepper sauce. It was absolutely delicious! Tonight we're having the rest of the gratin with homemade beef burgers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we will be having little poussins with vegetables of some description as I haven't decided which ones yet, possibly spinach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I had chicken pasta pesto and baby corn quick and easy

Last night we had a thai green curry and rice, but I also made a stock base for a Chicken Pho for tonights dinner. The chicken stock has onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, celery, cinnamon stick, coriander roots, star anise, clove and chilli in it - cooked for about 3 hours. I roasted the chicken bits for 30 minutes to colour them before adding to the stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Right, I am forever reading this thread and I never respond to it.

Thursday night we ate out and had king prawn tempura, followed by cod. Last night we had chicken enchiladas with spicy rice and corn salad. Tonight we had pan-fried scallops and roasted root vegetables.

It was my first attempt at scallops and I really enjoyed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Yesterday for my lunch I had spaghetti bolognaise
    Last Night for my dinner I had spaghetti bolognaise
    Tonight for my dinner I had spaghetti bolognaise

damn recession

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had scotch broth made with some leftovers from the Christmas ham which I'd frozen. Old-fashioned comfort food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night I had a salad consisting of two types of lettuce, spinahc, radishes and chicpeas with marinated lemon and spiced beef. I made a dressing of red wine vinegar and chillis. It was a bit experimental but actually turned out very well.

Tonight we're going to a barbeque so I'll be bringing a salad or two and some sausages but I'm going to make a giant lasagne today too for the week. Im trying to cut back on snacking and I'm finding the time from when I get home from work to eating dinner the hardest. I'm usually fairly hungry so will nibble while I cook. If I only have to heat something up for a few days it will help a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tonight we will be having little poussins with vegetables of some description as I haven't decided which ones yet, possibly spinach.

Can I ask where you got the poussins? Did you have to go to a specialty butcher? Get them ordered in? Shoot them yourself? I've been looking for em for ages, but can't find them anywhere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I ate out tonight and had tiger prawns in garlic butter to start, followed by monkfish with celeriac mash, wilted spinach and a crab bisque. I had a raspberry cheesecake for dessert. Everything was absolutely fantastic, except the dessert was disappointing. Two at my table had venison, which they raved about. I tried a little bit because I've never had it before and I was well impressed!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

corblimey wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the poussins? Did you have to go to a specialty butcher? Get them ordered in? Shoot them yourself? I've been looking for em for ages, but can't find them anywhere
    I got them in my local craft butcher (lawlors on upr rathmines road or in mortons near beechwood luas). I've never had to order them, they're part of their regular stock. But I've also seen them in Superquinn and the other day I saw them in M&S in Dundrum.

Tonight for dinner we had salmon en croute and lots of yummy spinach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Faith wrote: »
    monkfish

where can I buy monkfish?

Is it expensive?

I had it at a restaurant, and thought it was beautiful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sc9736

just had pitta bread with ham and salad, had few glasses of vino so didn't want to cook
    will do stuffed mushrooms tonight, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

peanuthead wrote: »

Is it expensive?

Your local Supervalue or ure Local fish monger would have the better quality.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I ate out tonight and had tiger prawns in garlic butter to start, followed by monkfish with celeriac mash, wilted spinach and a crap bisque.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Made a Thai red chicken curry with rice Very nice :):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Chicken Curry with egg fried rice, lovely

Thai green curry with beef and vegetables. Interesting note: celery is excellent in green curries. Sliced at an angle, it cooks into a crunchy sweetness that works very well in a curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

I had several different varieties of Sushi, the ingredients used were:
    Cream Cheese, Salmon, Shrimp, Tiger prawns, Tuna, Cucumber, Carrot, Crab Sticks, Fried Spinach, Baby Spinach, sesame seeds, Chilli flakes, Egg Pancakes, Wasabi and avacado.

The Rolls were any combination of the above that we thought would suit and it al turned out great.

We also had side sald with wasabi/soy/olive oil dressing over rocket, beetroot tomatoe and sesame seed salad and for dessert home made apple crumble yum yum.

Night before home made lasagne and galic bread.

Night before that Chips and curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

peanuthead wrote: »
    monkfish

Is it expensive?

I saw it in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St. yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Had Chicken Mole tonight.

It wasn't as tasty as I expected.

Browned two pieces of chicken, on the bone, in a casserole dish.
    Added a sliced onion and a crushed garlic clove. browned the onions.
    Then added a tin of chopped tomatoes, 50 grams of dark (70%) chocolate and a teaspoon and a half of sweet paprika.
    whacked it in the oven for an hour.
    served with brown rice.

it wasn't horrible or anything, but I probably won't make it again.

maybe could have done with some chili or something.

We were trying out the recipe, as we are having a dinner party in about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Had cottage pie and a side of carrot parsnip mashed with creme fraiche today, and a chicken and mushroom pie with a side of leek and potatoe rosti

Roast stuffed leg of lamb - I tunnel boned the lamb and filled the cavity with a stuffing made with dried apricots, chestnuts, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley and some rosemary salt. Served with roast potatoes and pan fried glazed carrots and french beans. Made a gravy with a stock from the trimmings and the spare bone.

Des wrote: »
    Had Chicken Mole tonight.

It wasn't as tasty as I expected.

Browned two pieces of chicken, on the bone, in a casserole dish.
    Added a sliced onion and a crushed garlic clove. browned the onions.
    Then added a tin of chopped tomatoes, 50 grams of dark (70%) chocolate and a teaspoon and a half of sweet paprika.
    whacked it in the oven for an hour.
    served with brown rice.

it wasn't horrible or anything, but I probably won't make it again.

maybe could have done with some chili or something.

We were trying out the recipe, as we are having a dinner party in about a month.

I used to make chicken mole poblano, and I think there's an extensive recipe posted by me on this very forum if you want to search for it... Was a good one too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday did North African-style lamb chops. Browned lamb & then braised it with onions, tomatoes & peppers in chicken stock. Added cumin, cinnamon & hot smoked paprika. Served with cous cous.

Saturday made a jalfrezi-style chicken curry.*

Sunday had chicken biryani in Nana Billy's.

* Bought whole chicken & butchered it for the curry. Then roasted carcass & unused meat with garlic & butternut squash. Made soup with this & freshly diced carrots, onions & celery. Having this with fresh crusty bread for lunch shortly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement