Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

One of my all time favs, but you reaslly need to like Japanese-Korean hot dishes; Tofu and Kimuchi nabe, with leeks, noodles and beef, with lashings of Iced Sake. I will later post this under the Japanese recipes thread I plan to start soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heh, i had corn, fake hot dogs and toast. Weird. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

green salad with corn and tomatoes in a french vinagrette...
    french cured ham
    italian sausage and a nice baguette...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night I had stuff to use up...so it was fried potatoes, reheated falafel, fried onions, all smothered in a homemade curry sauce (made hot, cause herself was out).

Not terribly healthy, but tasty and its good to have those odds and ends finally used up before they went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night I had cous-cous, stir-fried chicken and vegetables with chilli and piri-piri spices.

EDIT: Bonkey, I'd be interested in that homemade curry sauce, I use ginger, garlic, tumeric, paprika and nutmeg (as spices in a yoghurt, cornflour and chopped tomato base) but it never tates 'curryish' enough so sometimes I end up adding curry powder, which defeats the purpose I suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Two waffles, smoothie and milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

For dinner (at 1.00....because it was Sunday) had Bacon, cabbage, mashed carrot & turnip & mashed potatoes.....My all time favourite dinner.

Then supper was iberian cured jamon on ciabatta with fresh olive oil, goats cheese & black pepper. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

r3nu4l, try replacing your nutmeg with ground coriander, half as much cumin and a pinch of fenugreek for that curry sauce!

beans wrote:
    r3nu4l, try replacing your nutmeg with ground coriander, half as much cumin and a pinch of fenugreek for that curry sauce!
    Thanks beans! Well I grow my own fresh coriander...(I've tons of the bloody stuff) so I suppose I could chop that up and use it. Or do you mean coriander seeds? Either way, I don't have any fenugreek so I'll have to buy some and I'll definitely replace the nutmeg with cumin and see how that goes :)

I'll report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jargonclay

Last night I had a sizzling chicken with mac and cheese as side dish. Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Vietnamese Garlic Beef on a rice noodle pancake....awesome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Lamb cutlets roasted with olive oil and garlic
    With
    Cuscus made with butter, celery, red and green pepper, onion and a boiled egg (its really nice - trust me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Chinese meal for two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bombjack2

superquinn sausages!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Shepards Pie last night

Tonight, Boiled ham, New spuds & cabbage <3
    bombjack2 wrote:
    superquinn sausages!
    Jaysus, that looks mighty. Big knob of butter and you're sorted

Last night....(homemade) lasagne w. fresh pasta.

Today for lunch...reheated leftover lasagne :)

Tonight...hot sandwich of homemade curry-meatballs (leftover mince from preparing lasagne)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Good old Spag Bol today, and twas smashin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The ultimate sandwich.

Two slices of crusty Viennese loaf. Six rounds of hungarian salami. Six rings of green capsicum. Sliced black olives. Sliced fresh chili. Two gherkins, sliced thin. Ripe vine tomato, sliced. Two large leaves of fresh, crispy cos lettuce. Six thin slices of extra mature cheddar. Mayonnaise, ketchup and mild mustard.

Layer bread, mayo, salami (x3), then ketchup, then olives and chilis, tomatoes to keep them in place, gherkins over tomatoes, cheese over gherkins. Toast until cheese melts. Then top with lettuce, and place the last 3 slices of salami on the other piece of bread and smear mild mustard over them. Combine both halves and divide in two with a sharp knife.

Wash down with a bottle of suds for evening meal.

Since I got here (Australian bush) I have used this meal as a substitute for the lazy 'easy evening Indian takeaway' I was so fond of in London. It so works. (And my waistline also appreciates it.)

I haven't posted on this thread in ages because I've been eating hotel food (I've been away working) and since I got back I've not yet managed a trip to the shops!

However I'm going tonight and I like the sound of Silvos lamb cutles and couscous :D

After reading about MAJD's amazing sandwich I'm looking rather forlornley at my lunch sandwiches...cheese with brown sauce! :o

Yes, I definitely need to shop tonight!

It so works.

'cept for the olives....but each to their own.

• Advertisement

This evening was Chicken, red & green bell peppers, spring onions all done in a white wine, cream, lime-juice sauce. Large handful of shredded coriander thrown in right at the end, and the whole lot served with homemade tagliatelle.

Result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Took a trip out to Howth, bought kilo of prawns and some mussels. Came home and made paella. A very tasty dinner for a summer evening. Followed by strawboffi pie (my son hates bananas).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Beef with ginger and spring onions, scallions as I like to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Fried chicken with baby potatoes , heinz baked beans and a fried egg .. Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bacon, mashed potatoes with loads of real butter, and cabbage.

The-Rigger wrote:
    Bacon, mashed potatoes with loads of real butter, and cabbage.
    I'll be having that on saturday :)

Last night I had:
    Cous cous, tuna (tinned, not fresh) marinated in balsamic vinegar, pepper, sunflower seeds and beans. Sounds odd, tastes great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

frozen chips and frozen pie :(

Marinaded chops from a piglet, fresh sweetcorn, and breaded mozarella...all from the grill (BBQ), accompanied with some homemade beetroot salad.

Skewers of courgette, red pepper, red onion, onion. One with pieces of duck (salted & peppered), the other with pieces of rabbit fillet (marinaded in lemon, lime, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and sage). Fresh sweetcorn (again). All done on the grill (again).

Oh...with some bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yesterday I got a whole Albacore tuna fresh off the boat.
    I wanted to preserve it so I used 3 kilner jars and canned it in the pressure cooker.
    Today I made a salad with Tomato, celery, cucumber,fresh dill, black olives,green peppers and sharp cornichons.
    I just broke the tuna into chunks and served it with the salad.
    It was very good,
    Bonkey do you grow your own corn or can you get it from the shop?
    I have some gowing this year and have had a few cobs but they were all very small 6" or so in length.
    Very sweet but very small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement