Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were out last night - I had bruschetta, then spinach and ricotta canneloni. Then the nicest Tiramisu I've ever tasted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Roast chicken, ham, carrots, roast parsnips and potatoes and cauliflower cheese today.

But more importantly, I made Mississippi (sp?) Mud Pie for dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Chicken leek and cheddar with roast potatoes and carrot and parsnip. Yummy Homemade strawberry cheescake for desert.

how do you make the mud pie janey??:)

I'll post up the recipe tomorrow when I get my laptop in work. This PC is driving me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we had Ratatouille with a spinach and garlic salad.

Tonight we had a salad made of lettuce, spinach, radish, corn and chickpeas with beef marinated in lemon olive oil and bbq spices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

had the old reliable - steak, homemade chips, onions and mushrooms and creamy garlic & cheese potatoes.......

yummm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Thinly sliced peppers, onions and brocolli, quick fried and added to chow mein noodles (with soya sauce).

Simple, but lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yesterday was roast chicken, with roasted veg and spuds.

The night before was a sausage casserole made with cider, leeks, onion, mushrooms, lentils, raisins, spuds, and anything else I could put my hand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Reheats of roast lamb and mashed potato for dinner last night. Will do something N. African styled with the remains of the roast lamb tonight. Take the final cuts off the bone, probably toss them in a pan with some cumin, salt and smoked paprika, then wrap them in khobz flatbreads with a sauce made from hummus, yoghurt and lemon juice, along with some caramelised onions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Reheats of roast lamb and mashed potato for dinner last night. Will do something N. African styled with the remains of the roast lamb tonight. Take the final cuts off the bone, probably toss them in a pan with some cumin, salt and smoked paprika, then wrap them in khobz flatbreads with a sauce made from hummus, yoghurt and lemon juice, along with some caramelised onions.

your dinners always seem yum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Warm crusty bread, some really good german sausage, some cheeses and a nice red wine....mmmm...lazy tastes good!

MJOR wrote: »
    your dinners always seem yum!

I like spicy food. :)

Feeling a bit underwhelmed with cooking at the moment. Perhaps it's the heat here. Have made an agreement with himself - will cook if it's 30 degrees or under, not if it's 31 degrees or over (and it's been between 31 and 44 degrees daily for the last few weeks).

I used to cook every weekend - Saturday and Sunday afternoons were spent cooking food to last much of the week. It was a sort of gentle therapy. Haven't done that in AGES and I miss it. Think it's also because I haven't tidied and sorted my kitchen/pantry yet since moving in. It's functional, but everything's not precisely where I want it to be and I think it's putting me off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Feeling a bit underwhelmed with cooking at the moment. Perhaps it's the heat here. Have made an agreement with himself - will cook if it's 30 degrees or under, not if it's 31 degrees or over (and it's been between 31 and 44 degrees daily for the last few weeks).

Salad time! Hope youre not sweltering too badly :)

I made broth lasy night from the chicken roast leftovers from Sunday. Eating it now actually. Just stock from the bones, added carrots, took out bones, added spuds (which had been cooked in their jackets on Sunday - I seem to be going through a phase of this) and then the onions that had been cooked inside the chicken. A few chickpeas as well. A bit of parsley to finish and today I have a yum hearty broth.

Perfect for our chilly weather here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

last nite we had tuna steaks with roasted veg

Spinach and ricotta ravioli with a creamy sage and squash sauce.

Got home yesterday to find the lamb monsters had apparently eaten most of the leftover roast lamb. Reverted to tuna-pasta-parsley instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

s&mbarbie wrote: »
    Spinach and ricotta ravioli with a creamy sage and squash sauce.

Sounds lovely, could you post a recipe for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got home yesterday to find the lamb monsters had apparently eaten most of the leftover roast lamb. Reverted to tuna-pasta-parsley instead!

OH, I'd be very cross!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had a Vacherin Mont D'or cheese baked in the oven and eaten with crusty bread. We also had a spagetti and meatballs dish - the meatballs were made with lamb mince, grated carrot, breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon rind and parsley in a tomato and white wine sauce. Very light - needed to be after the cheese:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had homemade chips with curry sauce. along with pork, veggies,szeuwhan ( i cant spell it i know!!!) sauce and noodles. random mix of stuff but damn it was all yummy.

tonight had spag bol and garlic bread. yummy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

bacon and mushrooms in a pot with a little oil (bacon first) , pasta shells in another pot with water and a pinch of salt when bacon and mushrooms are cooked throw in with shells (drain shells first) then put in carton of fresh cream and add a chicken stock cube and let it simmer stirring throughout....lovely

Minder wrote: »
    Tonight we had a Vacherin Mont D'or cheese baked in the oven and eaten with crusty bread. We also had a spagetti and meatballs dish - the meatballs were made with lamb mince, grated carrot, breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon rind and parsley in a tomato and white wine sauce. Very light - needed to be after the cheese:eek:

Jesus, you hate yourself don't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

500g beef mince (there's only 2 of us so don't think we used that much!)
    1 red chilli, seeded, finely chopped (we used chilli flakes instead)
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 cup water
    pinch sugar
    400g farfalle pasta (bow-tie shaped)

Method
    1. Place beef mince, chilli, and breadcrumbs into a bowl. Season with salt and mix together with your hands until well- combined. Roll mixture into 6 even-sized balls.
    2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning often, for about 5 minutes until evenly browned. Remove and set aside. Wipe pan clean.
    3. Add remaining oil to frypan. Cook onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, oregano, and water.
    4. Bring sauce to the boil. Add meatballs and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked through. Taste sauce and season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
    5. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until al dente (just tender). Drain well, and serve with meatballs.

OMG beautiful!! :D loving this homemade food mullark!!!!

MJOR wrote: »
    how do you make the mud pie janey??:)

Mississippi Mud Pie:

Pastry:
    225g plain flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    140g butter
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    1-2 tbsp cold water

Filling:
    175g butter
    350g soft dark brown sugar
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    4 tbsp cocoa powder
    100g plain chocolate
    300ml single cream

To Decorate:
    250g double cream, whipped
    Chocolate flakes

To make the pastry, sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough cold water to mix to a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Roll out the pastry and line a greased loose-bottom pie tin with it. Bake blind for 15 minutes . Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10 minutes.

To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar together and gradually beat in the eggs and cocoa powder. Melt the chocolate and beat it into the mixture with the cream.

Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/gas 3. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake for 45 minutes or until the filling has set gently.

Allow to cool and then remove from tin and cover with the whipped cream and chocolate flakes.

Last night had a beef madras. Cooked long with shin of beef - turned out meltingly tender. Same thing for dinner tonight, but will pop to the shops and buy some yoghurt to make naan breads, plus make daal as a side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Had Green Thai Curry earlier tonight, home made.
    Got the recipie a while back and have had it several times, it's made it into my recipie book. However tonight was the first time we used low fat coconut milk (my colesterol is very high 7.8), and it tasted yummy
    I was checking the fat content of the ingredients and was shocked that coconut milk was so high on saturated fat, so got the low fat one instead.

Green Thai Curry
    Serves 2

Ingredients:
    2 chicken fillets, finely sliced
    1 can (400ml) Coconut Milk (the low fat one tastes great also)
    2tsp Green Curry Paste
    1tsp sugar
    2tsp fish sauce
    250ml chicken stock (1/2 a Knorr)
    Fresh Vegetables roughly chopped ( I’ve always had this had this with frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn and green beans) and it was very tasty. Just don’t overcook the frozen ones.)

Method:
    Cook the chicken in a small bit of olive oil, until cooked, but not crispy.
    Cook the vegetables in a different pot.

Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan and heat up to near boiling, when you see bubbles starting, reduce heat to medium.
    Add the curry paste and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly as the coconut milk can separate.

Start cooking the basmati rice, as this will take 8 to 10 minutes and the Thai curry will be ready then.

Add the chicken, chicken stock, fish sauce and sugar and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
    Add the vegetables to the curry and cook for 2 minutes.
    This can be left on the heat for another 10 or so minutes, until you are ready to eat.

Serve on a bed of the basmati rice.

enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you fat bastard!
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Worked late last night so popped into Govindas for a bite. I seem to end up here any night I dont cook. Its far too handy as its on my way home and I do find it very tasty and the price suits the pocket.

Tonight is quorn tortillas with cajun spiced peppers, onions, shrooms and a side of curried cauliflower. Kind of a pick'n'mix of leftovers.

Sounds lovely, could you post a recipe for that?

Sorry, late but here it is...

Spinach & ricotta ravioli
    small squash cut into 1cm cubes
    a couple of sppring onions chopped
    a little stock
    a good splash of cream
    a spoonful of balsamic vinegar
    a spoonful of fresh chopped sage

Cook the pasta.
    Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan, add the squash and cook uncovered until slightly browned and just tender (10 to 15 mins), then add the sage and onion and cook, stirring, for another minute.
    add the cream, stock and balsamic vinegar...bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for five mins.
    Serve pasta topped with sauce

• Advertisement

Tonight was a mixed vegetable and prawn risotto

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement