Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Tonight we had
    Oven baked potato chips (home made) & mashed potatoes for the misses
    Brocolli (loads of)
    Salmon cutlets, oven baked with salt, pepper and olive oil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Lentil sheperds pie topped with carrot and parsnip puree. Kimberleys for dessert :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

ooh that sounds lovely deepsense, would you have the recipe by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I like spicy food. :)

Feeling a bit underwhelmed with cooking at the moment. Perhaps it's the heat here. Have made an agreement with himself - will cook if it's 30 degrees or under, not if it's 31 degrees or over (and it's been between 31 and 44 degrees daily for the last few weeks).

I used to cook every weekend - Saturday and Sunday afternoons were spent cooking food to last much of the week. It was a sort of gentle therapy. Haven't done that in AGES and I miss it. Think it's also because I haven't tidied and sorted my kitchen/pantry yet since moving in. It's functional, but everything's not precisely where I want it to be and I think it's putting me off.
    I am in the process of tidying my pantry. I absolutely love cooking. I am starting to experiment more as in recent times i have found that i had been sticking to the same old reliables.

I do....Ill post it later...just heading out teh door in a few mins. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last night I did seafood chowder although it was so thick and rich it was more like a fish stew... with freshly baked brown bread..

i had my birthday do last night so had loads of brushcetta and cocktail sausages chicken etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had friends over so I made a pork goulash. Cooked it for three hours - the meat was meltingly tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Here's a few tips for dinner

Make about ten pancakes, spoon a bolognese style meat sauce across each one, roll tight and place side by side in an oven dish, pour remaining sauce over, followed by a homemade cheese sauce and finish with a tin of chopped tomatoes (or sieved) and garnish with grated cheese and cherry tomato halves. Use english mustard in your cheese sauce to make it flavoursome. Bake at 200 for twenty/twentyfive mins and serve with a green salad and a decent bottle of wine. It will serve 6 hungry people.

Put grated cheese and chives into a scone receipe instead of sugar to make a savoury scone and serve with a stew. Use a little cutter, they serve better smaller. Or use chopped olives, rashers with the fat and rind removed and chopped finely instead or as well as. Don't be afraid to use herbs either.

Or buy frozen puff pastry ready rolled, thaw it out and with a large cutter cut out circles and cook as they are (using the cooking instructions on the packet) and serve each on top of a bowl of stew at the table. This is appealing for kids who aren't keen on stew.

Use a bottle of hoi-sin sauce instead of tomato sauce and cashew nuts, green peppers, sliced mushrooms and chicken for a delicious Chinese
    pizza if you're doing your own at home. If making pizza bases are not your thing. Halve a demi-baguette (the ones you have to finish cooking in the oven) and drizzle on a little olive oil and dress it like a pizza using sauce, toppings and cheese and cook according to the instructions on the bread packaging leaving a little longer if needed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We had friends over for dinner this evening so I made a vegetable soup with stock from last night's chicken carcass to start with.

Then we had slow roasted leg of lamb from a BBC recipe. It cooked for about 4 hours and tasted amazingly tender. I served it with roasted carrots and mashed potatoes.

Then for dessert we had Victoria sponge cake. It was good, but not as nice as it ususally is as the temperature of the oven wasn't quite right as the lamb was still in there. Thought it wouldn't make much of a difference but it was certainly noticeable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had roast pork with apple sauce, stuffing etc. I bought a huge piece of collar pork and cooked it really slowly sitting on chopped veg and with cider in the dish. It was succulent and delicious, so much nicer than the more expensive piece of loin we'd had last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Last night, I did lamb shanks. Added to a big pot to brown with onion and carrots, topped up with enough vegetable stock to just cover and added lots of salt, pepper and oregano. Let it simmer for over an hour and then transferred into a casserole dish in the oven where the sauce thickened.

Lamb feel off the bone, onions melted into the stock to thicken and carrots were tender. Served with mashed potato and broccoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tunisian-style chicken with root veg & cous-cous.
    (Dinner for 8 adults for €2 per head!)

went to Kudos last night in the clarion and it was crap

We had chicken tagitelle and chocolate mousse for desert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mmm choccy mousse...

We had chicken stew last night and I've suddenly gone right off it. Hubby loves it so I'll keep making it but I won't be eating it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dahl with lemon.

Homemade chicken dippers and potato wedges followed by Rice Crispie buns for HB Jr II's birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

made cottage pie this eve, its just cooling down now. cant wait to gorge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had a good chicken stock in the fridge so I made minestrone soup, inspired by the thread I read earlier. Lovely served with a big pile of grated parmasaen cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had striploin steak with garlic potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, with pepper sauce. Tonight we had spaghetti with prawns in a garlic and cream sauce.

Tonight we had lamb casserole - the lamb was melt in the mouth.... lots leftover too :)

Last night we had lasagne :)

Chicken stew. Kimberleys for dessert :)

Stir-fried chicken & veg with chinese 5 spice, a splash of teryaki & soy, garlic ginger & chilli. Served with noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

doner kebab, ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Cooked a mild chile con carne for the first time last night. It was a recipe in one of the weekend magazines a few weeks back and it was delicious! Will definitely be trying again, except with a little bit more spice next time

Homemade chips with fresh ray and mushy peas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Homemade chips with fresh ray and mushy peas...

Sounds great. How did you cook the ray?
    It's my new favourite fish.

• Advertisement

Chicken Maryland, mashed potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash and gravy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement