Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Im trying my best to like porridge so Im messing about with it trying to find ways that are easily stored, portable and tasty - ie; doesnt taste or look like porridge.

Last night I made oatmeal pancakes with apple and blackberry and I think Im onto something here in a tick all the boxes sort of way.

I roasted pumpkin, pinenut and hemp seeds with soy sauce and littered the pancakes with these on one side just when about to turn over - very tasty too too but dental work makes it a bit more tricky to eat. But its nice to be finally getting somewhere with the stack'n' store nutrition.

Kimberelys for dessert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grilled streaky rashers, sausages & tomatoes. With fried eggs, bread & butter & a mug of tae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Pasta carbonara last night and sloppy joe tonight both made form scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night went to a bbq and has the usual bbq stuff. Meat skewers, salad bbqed fresh corn on the cob.

Tonight, for Valentine's day I'm going to do a roast chicken. It's been so hot here recentlt that having a roast is the last thing we've wanted. Thought it would be a nice treat for the day that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Moules frites, salad and some salt 'n pepper squid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Last night for dinner I had a box of popcorn at the cinema, approx. 12 green olives, 3 'mint slice' biscuits and 2 bottles of (good) red.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had chicken curry.

Pasta carbonara last night and sloppy joe tonight both made form scratch

Sloppy joes? Never heard of that. Must googles.

Made a butter bean humus - had tins in the cupboards for some reason, I hate them...presume were housemates. Was nice but Im still not in love with butter beans.

HAd that with olives, parma ham and bread. Wasnt bothered cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love sloppy joes! I had them on the other day. Last night was roast pork ribs with baked potatoes and carrot, parsnip and ginger mash.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Last night I made rabbit stew, which was pretty good, but I think I would like to try roasting it next time to see if that brings out more flavour in it.

Tonight I will be roasting wild mallard, I'll probably have roasted red peppers and homemade oven chips on the side. Must think about making a dessert too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had Slow-cooked beef fillet with horseradish mash, wild mushroom tortellini and red wine sauce John Campbell made the dish on the Saturday Kitchen on BBC1 the previous weekend. The beef is pan fried to colour it, then wrapped up and roasted in the oven at 60c for an hour - not a typo - that's 60c. I didn't have a meat thermometer, but took a chance that the meat would be done - another flash in the frying pan before carving and it was ready. As I cut the first slice it was so soft I thought it couldn't possibly be cooked - I was wrong, it was gobsmackingly perfect. Mr Campbell, you are a genius.

The recipe is long and next time I think I will just pan fry the mushrooms and serve those on top instead of making the tortellini. Do that and the recipe is very simple.

Deepsense wrote: »
    Sloppy joes? Never heard of that. Must googles.

Made a butter bean humus - had tins in the cupboards for some reason, I hate them...presume were housemates. Was nice but Im still not in love with butter beans.

HAd that with olives, parma ham and bread. Wasnt bothered cooking.

they are yummy

last night i had chicken curry with champ (try it)

tonight a take away veg szechwan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made beef rendang for the first time in a living age yesterday. Extremely rich - serve with steamed rice and two or three pieces of beef is enough because it's so rich. Rest of it today, with something zesty to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had rump steak with roasted veg and mash

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

Mince(Quorn) pie, topped with potato, with sweet potato cubes.
    and Strawberry Cheesecake:)

I am a big potato person!

Minestrone de la Resezionne :) with crusty bread.

Made out of what I had lying in the fridge & larder - particularly free veg I picked up recently as part of promotions in local shops. I did buy the cabbage & the bread though.
    Have enough left for dinner for myself & Mrs Billy this evening. So that's dinner for 2 days for 2 adults for less than €1.50 per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I had a chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese, garlic and parsley and wrapped in steaky bacon. Roasted in oven with carrots and sweet potato. Very nice, very garlicy. Just as well the OH is away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

I has salmon with lemon and pepper placed on a bed of spaghetti in a light cream sauce with cherry tomato's and mushroom. T'was delish !! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Tonight was a fillet steak with homemade wedges and sauteed mushrooms...nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Lentil sheperds pie topped with carrot and parsnip puree. Kimberleys for dessert :)

sounds delish, any chance of the recipe? :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I roasted a chicken last night and had it with roasted red peppers.

Tonight I made a chicken pie out of the remains and I still have some bits of chicken left over for making a soup or something with at the weekend when I have a bit of time.

sounds delish, any chance of the recipe?

My pleasure :)

This is just my own recipie that Ive used for a few years. As a back note to this, I eat in Govindas alot and found this pie in there. They dont use onions, garlic or mushrooms in their Krishna cooking - I know that apparently mushrooms make you ignorant, onions make you sour and and I dont really know what garlic is supposed to do to you, but its not used. Ill found out more soon as the woman who owns it is my neighbour - and she recognised me cos my cat keeps going to ther house scrounging food. How sad is that ? :pac:

So recipie

1 bag of green lentils - I use the Tesco ones - 250g I think they come in - or in and around that anyway.

1 small tim tomato puree
    6 carrots - cut in half lenfthways, then in half lengthways again and then dice - small enough
    1 Sprig rosemary
    2 (fresh) bayleaf - dried are very acrid but will do very nicely as well
    thyme - optional - no biggie if you have none
    Ghee - clarified butter - or sunflower oil - just not olive oil
    Worstersire sauce
    Veg stock (I cheat and use chicken)

Topping
    2/3 carrots to 1/3 of what ever you like - sweetpotato/parsnip/turnip/celeriac

Method:
    Wash off the lentils - the tesco ones dont need to be steeped over night in water, but it says cook for 10 mins on teh pack but I find its more like 40 to get the fight consistency. Strain and leave aside.

In a pot with a heavy bottom, saute off the carrots with the rosemary, bayleaf and thyme. When they are slightly soft, take out the herbs. They go a bit sour after a while and theres noting worse than being overwhelmed by rosemary when you open a dish.

Add in theh lentils and Wos sauce and tomato puree and vegetable (ahem) stock. Cook out till the lentils are nice and soft but still have a nice shape to them.

Place in the usual pie dish to cool.

THe topping is just the 2 veg mashed togeather and to get a really smooth effect I use the handblender to knock any final little lumps out of it. In the past Ive added home made curry paste to it - that adds a really nice touch - and all you do is smooth it on top then drizzle a little ghee on it and pop into over on a blazer heat for 40 mins aprox.

There are loads of variations - some people add kidney beans to the mix or chick peas - whatever. Its a great recipie to play about with.

Happy cooking!

Last night was mash, fried pork chops, onion fried with the chops and pureed turnip. Pepper sauce made from the meat juices and kimberleys for dessert.

The night before was home made burger and the night before that lamb chops. I have a house guest at the mo so have to feed him Mammy food :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had roast chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing, apple sauce(some people here can't eat any roast without it),carrot and parsnip mash and gravy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Tonight, I had home made Chicken Chow Mein which was stir fry chicken with spring onion, ginger, garlic, chili, waterchestnuts and mushrooms with loads of lovely freshly squeezed lime juice served with noodles and spinach (the local Dunnes doesn't have pok choi which would have been much much tastier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

My pleasure :)

This is just my own recipie that Ive used for a few years. As a back note to this, I eat in Govindas alot and found this pie in there. They dont use onions, garlic or mushrooms in their Krishna cooking - I know that apparently mushrooms make you ignorant, onions make you sour and and I dont really know what garlic is supposed to do to you, but its not used.

Worstersire sauce

Are you taking the píss? Mushrooms make you ignorant?

Worcester sauce contains both garlic and onions or shallots!

"The ingredients of a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce from England sold under the name "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce" by Lea & Perrins, Limited, lists the following ingredients: malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions, garlic, spice and flavouring."

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookwithcondiments/a/worcestersauce.htm

What are ya gonna do?

Tonight I had lasagne and chips with chicken seasoning - our local chipper used to do chips with "seasoning" and I found out it was chicken seasoning. Lovely.

Last night we had slow-cooked beef casserole with floury potatoes :)

Are you taking the píss? Mushrooms make you ignorant?

Worcester sauce contains both garlic and onions or shallots!

"The ingredients of a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce from England sold under the name "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce" by Lea & Perrins, Limited, lists the following ingredients: malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions, garlic, spice and flavouring."

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...estersauce.htm

What are ya gonna do?

Tonight I had lasagne and chips with chicken seasoning - our local chipper used to do chips with "seasoning" and I found out it was chicken seasoning. Lovely.

:D

Im not! Honest to God! Thats what they think - dont ask me how or why but they do. Ill try and find a few links with info. I havent really looked it up as it doesnt make a blind bit of difference as I eat all three with relish. I know that some yogis wont eat food thats not prepared by other yogis cos of the vibes that it would be made with - Im not making this up! And I think well, if they give me tasty recipies, I dont care a jot and let them keep cooking any way they want an believe anything they want.

Although, I can see why they might think fungus mightnt be all that great for you :)

One thing that does puzzle me is that I know they use ghee in Govindas but they are vegetarian? Maybe Im wrong about that. Can anyone say for sure?

And in defense of the HK - the Wos sauce is my own addition to it. Like I said above its a great recipie for playing around with.

Last night I had homemade lentil and chick pea burger with a cucumber and tomato and olive salad. The house guest had pork chop again, with mash and onions and gravy and carrots.

• Advertisement

Gigot lamb chops with steamed spuds & mashed turnip & carrot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement