Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I made lamb burgers. Lamb mince with 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste, some pine nuts and pine nuts but obviously these aren't needed, tobasco, chilli seeds, cajun spices, some parmesan shavings, salt, pepper and a whisked egg. Then cooked them on the hob in a frying pan with no oil, about four minutes a side (they were fairly thick). Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made a lamb biryani the night before last, and we made short work of that. Last night was sweet and sour chicken. No major plans for dinner tonight, though might make a simple chili and have it over nachos with melted cheese...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Grabbed a bite in The Port House before meeting a friend. Had a plate of chicken in paprika, followed by delicious meatballs and bread to mop up the sauce, washed down with a glass of LBV 1999 Port. Twenty-five blades.

This recession is great, I've tried to go to The Port House loads of times before and they were always full! Come on, economy! - more redundancies! more factory closures! bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last night was a duck stirfry... It was good but the duck was quite greasy:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

lasagne and garlic bread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I made a very experimental dinner. I wasn't sure what to make so I made it up as I went along.

I marinated some chicken in lemon oilive oil, ground chilli powder and one fresh red chilli. I then fried this and just before the chicken was done I added some worcester sauce and soy sauce. I served it with a salad of spinach, cashew nuts, feta cheese and a dresing of lemon jiuce, oilive oil, honey and salt and pepper.

I was a bit worried but it actually turned out really well. It was very tasty. Even better was the chocolate brownies I made for dessert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jambalaya. First time making and eating it, and it was pretty damn tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Faith wrote: »
    Jambalaya. First time making and eating it, and it was pretty damn tasty!

Did you use a recipe? :pac:

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Did you use a recipe? :pac:

Yeah, I used Delia's one, but substituted chicken for the chorizo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

that jambalaya sounds pretty tasty.

i have a green chicken korma on the hob, another 10 mins should do it. looks like a pot of snot.

• Advertisement

the pot of snot came out ok, a little mild for my liking but not bad either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Made a stirfry this evening with king prawns. Came out very nice but I was a little heavy handed with the chilli and it was a little too hot for my taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Didn’t get home till late last night and was starved when I got in so was scrambled eggs and toasted pumpernickel with paprika sprinkled on top. Tonight is Spanish omelette as have loads of end bits and leftover that need using up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, I used Delia's one, but substituted chicken for the chorizo.

I use this one and its goooooood. Plenty of seasoning left over to use for other stuff
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/590099

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Just read some of the jambalaya recipes - seems like anything goes. Whatever happened to the holy trinity of Cajun cooking green pepper, onion and celery? One of those recipes sounds more like a curry than a Cajun dish. Spices - cayenne pepper or paprika - herbs - oregano and thyme - that's about it. Stick alligator or racoon in if you can get it but the trinity is sacrosanct:eek:

If you lose the chorizo - try adding some smoked paprika.

Minder wrote: »
    Just read some of the jambalaya recipes - seems like anything goes. Whatever happened to the holy trinity of Cajun cooking green pepper, onion and celery? One of those recipes sounds more like a curry than a Cajun dish. Spices - cayenne pepper or paprika - herbs - oregano and thyme - that's about it. Stick alligator or racoon in if you can get it but the trinity is sacrosanct:eek:

If you lose the chorizo - try adding some smoked paprika.

I initially intended to use a recipe from the "Cooking Guide" game for the DS, but I forgot it on the night. That recipe specified green pepper alright, with onion and celery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had yummy cottage pie :)

Similiar Dizzy - we had shephards pie...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Found out last night I cant run for another two months. Feel crap so having a cheese burger with an onion ring inserted. :( Feel crap so the food calories dont count. ( according to Moonbabys food pyramid anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Sweet and Sour chicken :D

• Advertisement

Walked the length of Dun Laoghaire pier in the freezing gale last night. I knew I wouldn't make it home for food without collapsing, so I went into Martello Tower, just there on the seafront.

I was worried that they'd be sniffy about seating me as I was wearing gym shorts, gym top, in garish electric blue. No problems though!

I had Lamb Kidneys in Wholegrain Mustard Sauce to start, then Belly of Pork, Creamy Mash. Wife had Pate, Toast, then Duck in a Star Anise and Cointreau jus. Wine was Tomassi Soave Classico 2007 (€13.50 for a half bottle). Finished with a shared banoffi. Unusual take, unwhipped, unsweetened cream, and lots of bananas.

Very cosy atmosphere, €78 total. Excellent place.

Chicken curry with plain rice and a peshwari naan.

Moroccan food! Bought some new cookbooks for inspiration. Tonight did a big cook up so we have a few days of leftovers. Roast a piece of lamb and a whole chicken - the lamb was plain, with just pepper and salt; the chicken was with cinnamon and honey. Served up with a fruity couscous (couscous with dates, raisins, pine nuts and apricots) and a cinnamon pilaf rice.

Extremely tasty food.

rediguana wrote: »
    Walked the length of Dun Laoghaire pier in the freezing gale last night. I knew I wouldn't make it home for food without collapsing, so I went into Martello Tower, just there on the seafront.

I was worried that they'd be sniffy about seating me as I was wearing gym shorts, gym top, in garish electric blue. No problems though!

I had Lamb Kidneys in Wholegrain Mustard Sauce to start, then Belly of Pork, Creamy Mash. Wife had Pate, Toast, then Duck in a Star Anise and Cointreau jus. Wine was Tomassi Soave Classico 2007 (€13.50 for a half bottle). Finished with a shared banoffi. Unusual take, unwhipped, unsweetened cream, and lots of bananas.

Very cosy atmosphere, €78 total. Excellent place.

i'd say most restaurants are happy to see people coming in, regardless of dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

chicken kiev with potato gratin and salad. Today is gonna be a bacon,mushroom and leek quiche with baby potatoes and a salad.

Moroccan food! Bought some new cookbooks for inspiration. Tonight did a big cook up so we have a few days of leftovers. Roast a piece of lamb and a whole chicken - the lamb was plain, with just pepper and salt; the chicken was with cinnamon and honey. Served up with a fruity couscous (couscous with dates, raisins, pine nuts and apricots) and a cinnamon pilaf rice.

Extremely tasty food.

Chicken with cinnamon and honey - how do you prevent the honey from burning? Added at the end?

lg123 wrote: »
    i'd say most restaurants are happy to see people coming in, regardless of dress.

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to see how far I can push them, maybe show up in something like this next time ->

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/02/ASS-MODEL-2.jpg

Tonight was baked Hake with prawns, baby potatoes and cauliflower cheese

Minder wrote: »
    Chicken with cinnamon and honey - how do you prevent the honey from burning? Added at the end?

Yep - you cover the chicken in a blend of olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Place it breast-down in a roasting tin and pour about 6tbsps of water into the tin, then roast for about 50 mins. Then flip over and paint with warmed honey (warmed so it flows better) and continue to roast until done. Most of the honey will slide off the chicken into the sauce.

Slice the cooked chicken and pour over the honey sauce. It's worth noting that the sauce will be very oily depending on how much oil you've used as part of the 'rub'. I'd be tempted to use a litte butter next time instead, as it might make a richer, less greasy honey sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

had a few friends over last night so decided to try out a dish I've wanted to make for a while.

Chicken Breast Stuffed with black Pudding wrapped in bacon, with mustard mash, green beans and a cider/mustard cream sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement