Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had ham with honey and mustard glaze, baby potatoes, shredded cabbage and white sauce :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Last night we had ham with honey and mustard glaze, baby potatoes, shredded cabbage and white sauce :)

Ditto except with mashed potato. It was so good! Today I had mushroom risotto. I'll have the rest for lunch in work tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

emc2 wrote: »
    had a few friends over last night so decided to try out a dish I've wanted to make for a while.

Chicken Breast Stuffed with black Pudding wrapped in bacon, with mustard mash, green beans and a cider/mustard cream sauce.

That sounds bloody marvellous - how did it go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

That sounds bloody marvellous - how did it go down?

It went down really well, clean plates all round. I had been playing around with this dish in my head for a while now but this was the first time I got to actually make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had chicken and bacon, in a rich herby tomato sauce with lots of onion and garlic, with penne. This was topped with some Parmesan and lots of black pepper, and eaten with a mixed salad and garlic bread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had the Marks & Spencer mother's day special - the daughters left it for me when they flew out to the sun.
    It was roast beef, roast root veg, baby potatoes, sticky toffee pudding and a bottle of red wine.
    It was really good (didn't try the wine yet) but the winner was the sticky toffee pudding - YUM!

Last night I had a bowl of Cheerios and a packet of Wheelies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Roast lamb and gravy. Nothing else. Was in a meaty mood. Was in Achill and thats where the best lamb in Ireland comes from. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Stuffed lamb hearts. Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Stuffed lamb hearts. Delicious.

thats a nice recession busting cut, any chance of the recipe?

• Advertisement

I used to eat those, but found them very fiddly to prepare. Must be doing something wrong!

Last night had minced lamb with dried fruit and spices with some yoghurt and hummus in a piece of flatbread with a side of raisin and pine nut pilaf.

Have gone pilaf mad in the last 10 days. May never eat plain rice again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

had a few friends over last night so decided to try out a dish I've wanted to make for a while.

Chicken Breast Stuffed with black Pudding wrapped in bacon, with mustard mash, green beans and a cider/mustard cream sauce.

That sounds great. Defo doing that at the weekend. I have a ton of Kellys of Newport black pudding in the freezer as I dont eat it on its own and Dad keeps sending it up. Finally a way to ue it that grabs me. Thanks.

Last night was Quorn Fajitas. Served them with Avocado (lazy mood and had been up since 2.30am), sour cream and grated cheese. I couldnt find refried beans but then again I didnt look very hard.

Tonight is omlette. Mushroom and ham and scallion. Tomato salad alongside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deepsense wrote: »
    I couldnt find refried beans but then again I didnt look very hard.

Fry an onion and some garlic in some oil or butter. Open a tin of beans (preferably pinto beans but whatever you have) and mash them into the onions in the pan adding a little of the bean liquid or water to moisten if necessary.

Refried beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I used to eat those, but found them very fiddly to prepare. Must be doing something wrong!

Last night had minced lamb with dried fruit and spices with some yoghurt and hummus in a piece of flatbread with a side of raisin and pine nut pilaf.

Have gone pilaf mad in the last 10 days. May never eat plain rice again.

Any chance of the recipe MAJD? That sounds delicious and healthy!

I had baked salmon fillets with ratatouille and baby potatoes with some spinach on the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

lg123 wrote: »
    thats a nice recession busting cut, any chance of the recipe?
    I'm working on improving it. I'm planning an offal dinner party. I'll be back to you!

Any chance of the recipe MAJD? That sounds delicious and healthy!

I had baked salmon fillets with ratatouille and baby potatoes with some spinach on the side

Sure - it's relatively simple, and all of these are adjustable to taste.

I make my own hummus, (tin of chick peas, some tahini, garlic, oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, adjust quantities - if you want a guideline recipe I can give you one, otherwise just buy some from the deli section. :) The hummus I can buy here in Oz is crrrrrrraaaaaaaap, full of random extra ingredients like vinegar instead of lemon juice).

Okay - lamb. This is based on about 400g of minced lamb. Slice an onion finely, and then choose what you want to add. I like to add two fresh tomatoes, chopped, about six dried apricots, also chopped, a tablespoon of sultanas and a tablespoon of toasted flaked almonds. Using a little olive oil, fry the onions until golden brown. Move to one side, and then brown off the lamb mince - pour off any excess oil, because lamb mince has a lot of fat in it. Spices: a teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger. You can add a little cumin as well if you wish. To the browning spiced lamb mince, add your fruit and nuts and stir to combine. Season well with salt and pepper. Add a splash of water if necessary - you want a quite dry, but reasonably sticky, meat sauce.

At the last minute, I add some chopped spring onion and a handful of chopped fresh coriander.

Take out a pitta bread or khobz bread, or any flat bread - if it's big enough to wrap, use it as a wrap, if not, cut it to make a pocket. Mix some full fat greek yoghurt with a little hummus and some hot chili sauce to taste, and spread it over the wrap or in the pocket, then load with the hot minced lamb.

Adding pilaf rice is a touch of piggery if you're using a lot of bread, so what you can do is serve the minced lamb, drizzled with a little yoghurt, with some hummus dip, and a few pieces of toasted pitta, and add rice as a side.

The pilaf is easy and very tasty - in a large saucepan, fry a chopped onion in a couple of tablespoons of sunflower oil until golden. Add about 100g of pine nuts and fry until lightly coloured. Add 400g of basmati rice and stir until well coated with oil and mixed through with onions and nuts. Then add stock instead of water - you cook pilaf by absorption, so the best thing to do is check your own rice brand and see how much water they recommend to rice for the absorption method. I use about, I think, 750ml of hot stock (boiling water over a stock cube is fine) for 400g of rice.

Into the pot with the oil, onions, pine nuts, rice, and stock, put a teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/2 teaspoon of allspice. Add about two tablespoons of raisins. Add salt and pepper, but judge the salt by how salty the stock is already. Stir well, then cover and simmer until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all of the water. Keep the lid on tightly, because the steam will also help cook the rice.

It takes about 15 minutes to do the rice, but keep an eye on it the first time to make sure it doesn't burn (as with all cook-by-absorption methods).

Just reading back over that, it's worth noting that it certainly ISN'T a low-fat dish, however there are a lot of good things in there and if you can bring yourself to accept that indulgent isn't necessarily unhealthy, it makes a fine meal.

Last night we had a simple chicken casserole that I concocted and threw into the slow cooker. It was delicious!

Tonight we're having Mexican "lasagne" - layers of spiced meat, tomatoes and onions with tortilla breads, topped with cheese and baked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Made kasespätzle (my recipe is more tiny dumplings than noodles) with garlic, bits of all the cheese we had in the house :p and a little bit of fresh herbs and tons of crunchy caramlised onion bits on top, then had vanilla crepes with nutella. Took ages as I had my little sister "helping" me :D , she was won over though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A variation on this http://www.thepigsite.com/recipes/223/roast-pork-loin-chops-and-vegetables

Marinade made from sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sprinkle of brown sugar, ginger, coriander..didn't make the gravy in the end. Was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rubyroe1

I had mash green beans and a Linda Mc cartney country pie..
    If there are any Vegetarians out there can you give us some recipes
    there's only so much Linda Mc Cartney food I can take..I need variety.
    I'm tempted to have a big mac r 2 at this point haha only joking..:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You will probably get more information here

• Tonight we're having Mexican "lasagne" - layers of spiced meat, tomatoes and onions with tortilla breads, topped with cheese and baked.

Is that not called enchiladas? :p

Last night I made chicken fajitas, they were amazing. Tonight I can't be bothered to walk to the supermarket in the rain to get something nice, so I'm having pasta with chopped tomatos, mushrooms and cheese.

Last night I made chicken curry. For tonight I defrosted roast beef in gravy which was left over from a previous dinner and we're having it with baby potatoes and cabbage with leek through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

last night was roast butternut squash and panfried chicken fillet, twas too nasty out to go to the shops so basically random meal made out of
    whatever I could find in the kitchen

Today's dinner will be an oxtail massaman curry, very excited about this, fingers crossed it works out like I want it to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Just had sausages in rolls for brunch. We went to the veggie market this morning and there was a new pork farm stand. We bought the sausages there and they actually taste like proper Irish pork sausages.

I'm so excited. Going back next week to try their rashers and maybe pork steak. It's so hard to find good pork here especially sasuages (for some reason kiwis love beef sausages which is really just wrong) so if I can find a good supplier I'll be very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

We just had cous cous with mussels. squid, prawns, smoked mackerel, broccoli ann various veg mixed in. Added plenty of lemon juice a glug of olive oil and seasoning. It was absolutely delicious and dead easy.

[quote=[Deleted User];59595779]Is that not called enchiladas? :p[/QUOTE]

There is a difference. An enchilada is a corn tortilla rolled around a filling (can be pretty much anything) and covered with a chilli sauce and cheese, and baked. Mexican lasagne is layered wheat tortillas and spiced minced beef.

Similar, but different.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

There is a difference. An enchilada is a corn tortilla rolled around a filling (can be pretty much anything) and covered with a chilli sauce and cheese, and baked. Mexican lasagne is layered wheat tortillas and spiced minced beef.

Similar, but different.

I love the look of that Mexican lasagne - I'm definitely going to try it :D
    Tonight for dinner we had Eddie Rocket's. I had a Moby Dick and fries - mmmm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement