Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yeah - spring arrived a week or so ago, and we're enjoying 20-ish daytime highs at the moment...plenty good to fire up the grill in the evening.

I'm a diehard charchoal griller...no gas for me.

Here at home, I use a Meco swinger. Its nothing too fancy, but the top, front and back vents give me a lot of temperature control, which helps a lot. Add the 3-stage height adjustability, and all-told its a pretty decent piece of kit for what I want.

Maybe a grilling thread is in order. I'll write up some thoughts tomorrow, if I find time.

Today, I lit the grill again :)

We had:

skewers of pork done in a gyros spice-mix and lemon-juice marinade
    skewers of pork done in a mustard, garlic, herbs and white wine marinade
    haloumi
    cervelat

Tabouleh (as usual by us, with coriander instead of mint) on the side.

Due to the wonderful miracle that is the timing of children, everything ended sitting on the grill for about 10 minutes too long (albeit at ultra-low heat), which made the meat a bit overdone.

This evening we had....

spag bol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

pigs in a blanket aka sausages wrapped in rashers
    garlic bread
    wedges
    chips
    and fajitas veggie things from lidl

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We had the most delicious Easter dinner at my parent's house on Sunday of roast goose with roasted potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and gravy. We then had a pear cake thing which was quite nice, but I'm not a pear fan so can't properly judge.

Last night was homemade burgers and salad.

Tonight it's roasted chicken, roasted with lemon and garlic. It came out quite lemony but not very garlicky. We're having apple pie for dessert, as we're still kind of in holiday mode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Been ill for a day or two so wasnt really looking forward to dinner but had fishcakes (salmon and haddock) at the Church bar - delicious. They came with a salad side and homemade tartare sauce.

Tonight is bangers and mash. Picking up a ricertoday after work. Cant wait to try it out! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Last night we had Bangers and Mash with onion gravy and god knows what tonights will be because our granite worktop might be being installed this evening, hopefully it'll be put off till the morning and we can have beef stir fry with black bean sause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Tonight i'll be having a go at making some Cornish Pasties (and some chicken balti pasties for variety). Got good Devon Pastry Co. butter based short crust pastry mince, onion, parsley, onion, swede, potato and a dash of worcester sauce for the Cornish Pasties. Will make a basic chicken balti for the others.

If anyone has made them before i'm wondering how far to cook the meat given the pasties filled and wrapped will be in the oven for approx an hour at 180* ?

This evening I was instructed to fire up the grill again.

Poor me ;)

We had....

cervelat
    horse entrecote
    marinaded shrimps
    breaded mozarella sticks

served with a green salad, a carrot salad, and some bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

made jamies lasagne from the ministry of food book. not great, wont be using this recipe again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Had friends over for dinner last night and made fajitas. Bf and I are not well at the moment and it's the only thing we had energy for! They were delicious though. I did have three hot chocolates with Bailey's in afterwards which went down even better. I slept very well afterwards!

Tonight I think we'll have to have stew or soup for our aching throats. Winter is firmly on it's way here and all I want is comfort food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Had beef stir fry with Cantonese Black bean sause and rice.

Went to SoHo on Camden (I think...maybe its Georges) Street. Had the roast chicken, breen geans and mash with wild mushroom veloute. Was really really nice and portion was enormous - cost €17.50 so wasnt expecting poor fare. Had a Sav Blc with - €28 I think. All the tastier as I wasnt paying :)

Yesterday I had a free lunch and dinner! :D (Theyre up to something :pac:)

This evening we had a pork & chorizo stew served with fresh pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Went out for a late lunch yesterday and went to favourite local cafe spot and had their smoked duck with snow peas, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts in a cream sauce with al dente fettucine.

Nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

I went out and I had a bowl of chicken and veg broth and then spagetti with olives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Went out for a late lunch yesterday and went to favourite local cafe spot and had their smoked duck with snow peas, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts in a cream sauce with al dente fettucine.

Nyom.

Have you tried to recreate this at home? Is the duck cooked pink or is it well cooked confit type falling apart ? Sounds a strange combination of flavours and ingredients, I'd like to give it a go.

Last night was Hoola hoops and wine.

Tonight is german potato salad and bratwurst with fried onions and sauerkraut.

Im tempted to make a black forest gateaux to round off the evening, but having lived there for nearly three years, Im still avoiding making them as I made 5 a day for all that time. Im gateauxed out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Scorcher pizza from Four Star, it blew my head off - almost too spicy to eat! Am going to try my hand at making sushi for tomorrows din-dins

Tonight was marinaded chicken drumsticks, served with wild rice (which was cooked with peas, carrot and leek)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cheesy Thyme Mash Potato Bake and Tricolour Lasagne from here: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/1177361.html

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

I didnt have dinner last night,I was going out and its cheaper if you skip dinner!:D
    So now im home and im going to have something simple,pasta with sauce cold from the jar and rashers torn into it!..
    Now exactly haute cuisine but it works for me!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Last night was mixed wild mushroom with quail to start , rack of lamb with spinach for mains and raspberry cream cake for desert....i heart tsubhs cooking! (thanks again!!)

Last night was seared tuna, baby potatoes, asparagus & sauce bearnaise.

Tonight shall be partridge wrapped in bacon, baby potatoes, and leek-and-cauliflower cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Linguine with bacon, wilted rocket and cherry tomatoes in a sauce made from gorgonzola, creme fraiche and mozarella. Heaped with parmesan and served with freshly baked bread and salad, was delicious (but calorific) :D

Saturday had pork chop and leek & potato gratin. At a house warming last night, had enchillatas (spl?) for the first time...delicious!

Tonight is spag carbonara.

Im turning into a walking carbohydrate. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Saturday made zanzabar chicken, was pretty nice. i would double or more the chilli next time. i only used half the stock quoted as well and i think this was even too much, the sauce was a little thin.

last night was a bbq, didnt make anything here, just bougt stuff in the butchers and threw on the fire. was yum yum yum.

Tonight, we had horse steaks, seared on the griddle, accompanied by a salad and some bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

i made a mongrel chinese/japanese ramen soup thing
    t'was smashing

plenty garlic and ginger with the white of the spring onions quickly stir fried
    a litre of knorr chicken stock (good enough for marco!)
    lots of broccoli and some noodles, soy, sesame oil
    and an egg stirred in (ala chicken and sweetcorn soup)
    finished with the green of the spring onions

healthy, cheap, quick and seriously tasty

ciao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I made a kind of Moroccan chicken dish.

Roasted chopped up chicken breast, carrots, pumpkin, parsnips and courgettes in the oven with olive oil and moroccan spices. Once they were done I sat the roasting tin on the hob and added a tin of tomatoes and some chickpeas and simmered for 10 minutes. Served it with pitta bread. It was really tasty, easy to make and cheap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement