Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Theres a corn fed chicken marinading in my fridge - rosemary, lemon and smoked garlic, paprika and olive oil. Its small so should take about an hour to roast. Im bringing it to a friends bday dinner as my offerring to a buffet style food fest. Rumour includes a foisgras terrine, lyonnaise potatoes, pickeled red cabbage and tart tatin to be included in the line up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Baked penne dressed with a tomato, garlic and basil sauce and dotted with bocconcini mozzerella and cherry tomatoes and a couple of handfuls of grated parmaesan cheese. Lovely crustiness with gooey stringy cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Beans and rice with chicken and chili sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

watna wrote: »
    Tonight I made a kind of Moroccan chicken dish.

Roasted chopped up chicken breast, carrots, pumpkin, parsnips and courgettes in the oven with olive oil and moroccan spices. Once they were done I sat the roasting tin on the hob and added a tin of tomatoes and some chickpeas and simmered for 10 minutes. Served it with pitta bread. It was really tasty, easy to make and cheap.

sounds good, what spices did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight is chicken thighs roast (covered) with red onion, celery, cherry tomatoes, garlic cloves, olives and a little white wine.
    Plan is to take off foil after an hour or so and whack up the heat to brown the chicken. The rest should cook down to a sauce.

Brown Thai fragrant rice and runner beans to serve.

Lets see!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Sounds delicious the beer revolu. :)

Anyone know where I can get boned and chopped chicken thighs here in Dublin?

Tonight is spaghetti carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Last night I made a sausage and tomato bake, had loads of cherry tomatoes and ordinary tomoatoes to use up so threw them in a casserole dish with loads of herbs, garlic, chilli, olive oil and balsamic, added the sausages and roasted for an hour, served with new potatoes and brocolli (and a nice glass of vino).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hamburger Helper is the business:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deepsense wrote: »
    Sounds delicious the beer revolu. :)

Anyone know where I can get boned and chopped chicken thighs here in Dublin?

Tonight is spaghetti carbonara.

It was!:D

I use thighs on the bone.

Dunnes often do part boned thighs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

No meat two nights in a row. Last night we had a fusilli pasta dressed with golden fried garlic breadcrumbs, pine nuts, diced tomato and large handfuls of chopped fresh herbs - parsley, marjoram, mint, basil and oregano. Not sure why, but the garlic was very aromatic through the dish - I had the rest for lunch today at work and felt as if I was steeped in garlic all afternoon.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In my quest to vary the type of meat we eat I obtained a kilo of lamb tongues from my local butcher who kills his own animals.
    I ordered them fresh not brined.
    After washing them and bringing them to the boil then changing the water I pressure cooked them for 35 mins at max pressure.
    I then put them in a pot of cold water so they were cool enough to handle.
    Skinning took just minutes and they were chilled overnight in the fridge.
    Tonight I made a teriyaki-ish sauce which was sugar, ginger, dark soya sauce and garlic.
    I sliced the tongues in 3mm slices and mixed them with the sauce under the grill for 10mins.
    Served with julienned carrots, celery string beans and thinly sliced leek stirfried with a little toasted sesame oil to finish.

How were they? I know a lot of people are revolted by the notion of eating tongue, but I have always loved ox tongue - I even find the texture and consistency of the meat to be part of the whole joy of eating it. Are lambs tongues just as good, with a strong muttony type flavour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like tongue from whatever animal it comes from, Lamb tongues are much more tender with a finer texture than Ox.
    They do taste like mutton, but not very strongly. The taste came through the teriyaki sauce pretty well, I couldn't help myself and ate 2 for lunch in crusty rolls with spicy cumin chutney
    They were dirt cheap €3.50 kg.
    Next time I get some I might try brining them myself for a day and then pressing them, When they are pressed the texture changes to even more tender.
    In a glass casserole with a wooden board and a heavy weight in the fridge they should be great sandwich material.
    My OH didn't like the idea of tongue but cooked as it was tonight there was none left:D
    Lamb tongue should be available easily in Oz, I know that you can buy canned tongue in NZ it is a bit of a delicacy there.

http://www.nicks.com.au/index.aspx?link_id=76.902

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Wednesday we had mozzarella wrapped in parma ham, roasted and drizzled with a tomato, garlic, olive oil and basil sauce, followed by Moroccan chicken with olives, couscous, mint salad and roasted vegetables.

Last night was barbequed burgers, sausages and all the usual salad trimmings.

Tonight is roast chicken and chunky vegetable soup with crusty bread and cheese. It's so chilly, I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Minder wrote: »
    No meat two nights in a row. Last night we had a fusilli pasta dressed with golden fried garlic breadcrumbs, pine nuts, diced tomato and large handfuls of chopped fresh herbs - parsley, marjoram, mint, basil and oregano. Not sure why, but the garlic was very aromatic through the dish - I had the rest for lunch today at work and felt as if I was steeped in garlic all afternoon.:D

minder do you write the scripts for the Marks and Spencer adds you have a lovely way with words:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Last night I made salmon (grilled) with a tiny bit of lemon on top with a bed of white rice and steamed broccoli and asparagus. It was actually lovely. I thought it may have been dry but it was quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

lg123 wrote: »
    sounds good, what spices did you use?

To be honest, I can't remember. I know I used portuguese chicken spices and paprika but I randomly shook a lot of things in there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rocknchef wrote: »
    minder do you write the scripts for the Marks and Spencer adds you have a lovely way with words:D

Minder sometimes does a Lloyd Grossman-esque description, I love it :D
    Last night we had chicken curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yesterday i went to tesco and noticed they had a load of stuff on the reduced shelf so went recession mad, got some parsnip, carrots, rosemary, cherry tomatoes, and 2 big bunches of rhubarb for half nothing. they also had pork chops in the meat counter at half price. so i roasted all the veg + a few spuds, garlic with loads of olive oil for 20 mins and threw the chops in on top for another 20 mins. made a sauce out of some of the rhubarb for the pork and made a crumble out of the rest. the veg and meat was ok but the crumble was deelish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 schmeelad

hey, am new to this so what better way to start than to tell you what i had for dinner last night

yellow curry (home made curry paste), with chicken, potato, courgette, mangetout, green beans, brocolli, garlic, onion, chilli, spring onion, fresh corriander and love. served with egg noodles

i find that when using coconut milk (thai gold is the best - and oirish), if you add one tin, let it totally reduce down, add another, let it reduce also and then add the 3rd, followed by veggies and dog meat etc - yum. not sure why my right arm is tingling today though...

it seems like almost everyone had asian food last night - is that the norm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Raining all day but.................we're having two "Beer Can" BBQ'ed chickens in about an hour. Garlic bread, potato salad and Thai scented rice. Loose leaf salad.

Bought a new Weber Kettle grill this morning you see.........and have never done whole chickens in the BBQ. Indirect cooking (off the coals). Half filled beer cans (with beer) in the cavity of each chicken. Chickens standing upright on the beer cans. Beer steams and cooks the inside nicely. Moist. Texas dry rub spice mix on the outside.

Bring it onnnnnnn.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Planet X wrote: »
    Bought a new Weber Kettle grill this morning you see....

I'm coveting a weber kettle grill at the moment, even though it's coming in to winter here and we bought a gas barbeque a few months ago.

Maybe I'll invest in one for next summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Planet X wrote: »
    Raining all day but.................we're having two "Beer Can" BBQ'ed chickens in about an hour. Garlic bread, potato salad and Thai scented rice. Loose leaf salad.

Bought a new Weber Kettle grill this morning you see.........and have never done whole chickens in the BBQ. Indirect cooking (off the coals). Half filled beer cans (with beer) in the cavity of each chicken. Chickens standing upright on the beer cans. Beer steams and cooks the inside nicely. Moist. Texas dry rub spice mix on the outside.

Bring it onnnnnnn.............

Pray tell what it was like,sounds devine:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Apprehensive initially about cooking two birds in a BBQ. However............it worked out fine. Indirect cooking. Always had problems before cooking chicken joints on a BBQ and this was because I always cooked directly over coals. And before people say "parboil it first" or something, not a chance! I used to char the outside too much and only the smallest (skewered) pieces would BBQ ok.
    So, that's that sorted. The two birds cooked better than in an oven in my opinion. Very moist throughout. Nice brown smokey skin thanks to the "Texas Dry Rub" :pac::pac:. Basically a combo of dry spices rubbed into the skins first.
    Charcoal dividers (supplied) so the charcoal was held back either side of the grill. Drip tray underneath the chickens, and it caught alot of drippings too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6R2IzDI10&feature=related

You gotta watch the boys above, explains all, y'all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night was a rack of lamb, accompanied by potato-and-leek gratin and boiled veg.

Tonight...weather holding...I'm lighting the grill again. Yay!

It rained, which brings on a sense of apathy. Dinner was a bunch of sweet green grapes, a sliced apple, a wedge of camembert, a wedge of blue castello, a handful of crackers and a few pickles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Roast chicken legs with a touch of turmeric, lemon juice, honey and herbes de provence. Also, roast spuds and carrots...seasoned with pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The weather held :)

We had fackelspiess (no idea what that translates as, but its like kebab meat built up around a skewer), breaded mozarella and some chorizo that needed using, all from the grill...with a taboule (without onion...Mrs. bonkey is breastfeeding and it plays havoc with baby bonkey) and some bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had a fondue moitié-moitié in the Gruyères Cheese Factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Striploin steaks pan fried after being marinated in olive oil, balsamic vin, lemon and pepper. Big into marinating steaks at the moment.... Tried some spicy wedges but tossed them in a little too much flower though.

Friday night was grilled lamb chops with wilted spinich and a couple of baked spuds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement