Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

More grilling this evening...potatoes, ribs, spare ribs, and mozarella sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nice bit of Roast Beef, with Roast Carrots, Roast Baby Potatoes, Roast parsnip, peas, steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli, cheese sauce and gravy made from the juice off the meat.

Deeeee-lish. :D

It also means I have roast beef samimches for lunch for the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Spag bol w/ melted cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

had salmon kedgeree last night, recipe from the 'easy indian in minutes' book and made moist lemon cake (odlums website) and had this with icecream. i didnt think the cake would have went that well with the icecream but was luverley. last time i made this cake i took it out of the tin before it cooled enough and it fell apart, learnt from that mistake and let it cool. i really need to get some parchment paper.

meant to add, washed this down with a 2007 bottle of cháteauneuf du pape which was on special offer in centra for €13. it didnt exactly complement the food but a lovely red all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Impressed myself by making a roast chicken and assorted vegetables dish that I stumbled across on lookandtaste.com

Really was very nice, and everyone obviously agreed cause there was nothing left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast chicken with lemon and pomergranate molasses. Carmelised onion and pine nut pilaf rice with goji berries.

How did the lemon & pom molasses mix go down? v. sweet/sour?

The other half of the spag bol is today's dinner. I had a disgracefully enormous feed of it at lunch time with grated cheese and some garlic bread, and am completely unable to work now. Spent the afternoon with blood flow diverted away from brain towards digestive system, durrrrrr...

The pomergranate molasses has a high sugar content and will burn easily, so I brush some on the chicken for the last 10 minutes in t'oven. TBH it was okay but it is much better as a marinade for lamb kebabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

leftover meatloaf, fried onions and cheese toastie. It was damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Shanagarry chicken cassarole with mushroom a la creme, never made it before and it turned out pretty well. The girlfriend was well impressed :P Few things I would change next time. Letting it cook for longer, in the overn for one. Also having a hotter pan for sauteeing the chicken.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    The pomergranate molasses has a high sugar content and will burn easily, so I brush some on the chicken for the last 10 minutes in t'oven. TBH it was okay but it is much better as a marinade for lamb kebabs.

I was curious because I can never get chicken to work with acidic sweetness. I think it might be because in the sweet/sour/savoury/hot scheme of things, chicken counts as 'sweet'.

For instance, if I make a tomato sauce - tomato, basil, garlic, onions - and add chicken to that, I always find it bloody horrible. The flavours just don't agree with me, they feel flat and sour and thin. I think it's because I have too many sour flavours together. Adding sugar to the sauce just makes it even worse.

However, if I make a curry, the hot of the spices counteracts the sweet chicken and sour tomatoes and it seems to work out - even though the sauce base is near identical.

rocknchef wrote: »
    minder do you write the scripts for the Marks and Spencer adds you have a lovely way with words:D
    Minder sometimes does a Lloyd Grossman-esque description, I love it :D
    Last night we had chicken curry.

Now who lives in a house like this..... (Best transatlantic Bostonian accent)

Thanks, funny because it was me just trying to get a sense of the dish across without copying out a recipe.

I was curious because I can never get chicken to work with acidic sweetness. I think it might be because in the sweet/sour/savoury/hot scheme of things, chicken counts as 'sweet'.

For instance, if I make a tomato sauce - tomato, basil, garlic, onions - and add chicken to that, I always find it bloody horrible. The flavours just don't agree with me, they feel flat and sour and thin. I think it's because I have too many sour flavours together. Adding sugar to the sauce just makes it even worse.

However, if I make a curry, the hot of the spices counteracts the sweet chicken and sour tomatoes and it seems to work out - even though the sauce base is near identical.

I know what you mean, the pomergranate molasses is much better with lamb, and yet chicken works well with honey and lemon...the lemon providing the counter point to the honey...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

A friend came round last night and cooked. It was delicious :)
    He bought a seafood mix of blackshells, prawns and calamari.

First he sautéed onion and garlic and chilli and then in with mushroom and loads of fresh tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Thyme, oregano and cook out. He didn’t blend it but everything broke down nicely. Then in with the fish mix and finished with a huge handful of parsley. Served with pasta and grated parmesan and olive oil on top.

Hes a health nut. Sweartogod the guys going to live till 112 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I made this last night http://www.recipezaar.com/Chicken-with-Chorizo-and-Butter-Beans-55885

but replaced the BB with 5bean mix, and I threw in a potato, cause I can ;)

Really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Beans. I'm unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Fish pie: haddock cooked in milk, fish taken out, more milk, butter and flour into the pot and mixed up. onion scallions and leeks thrown in, salt & pepper, fish thrown back in, 2 teaspoons of mustard added, then i put it in a dish and covered it with mashed potato and and grated cheese and shoved it in the oven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Beans. I'm unemployed.

:rolleyes: on toast - I hope :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had home-made ham and mushroom pizza (yum) and frozen chips (blegh).

Tonight we had stew - beef, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots in a red wine sauce, with a handful of fresh parsley thrown in at the end, with some nice crusty bread.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Fish pie: haddock cooked in milk, fish taken out, more milk, butter and flour into the pot and mixed up. onion scallions and leeks thrown in, salt & pepper, fish thrown back in, 2 teaspoons of mustard added, then i put it in a dish and covered it with mashed potato and and grated cheese and shoved it in the oven

Angry dinner?;)

• Advertisement

Made a thick minestrone soup with lots of macaroni and served smothered in parmesan - seriously good cold-day tucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Made a thick minestrone soup with lots of macaroni and served smothered in parmesan - seriously good cold-day tucker.

all that talk of Minestrone the other day got you cooking did it taste the way mammy used to make it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

a ham snadwich followed by Nigellas Pear and Chocolate pud with Ice Cream:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Hula hoops and white wine. Sufferring today.

Real cooking tonight - Lakeshore pork with mash and red cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Wednesday - Bangers and Mash with Onion Gravy

Thursday - Chicken Jalfrezi with rice and naan bread

Tonight - who knows!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Minder wrote: »
    Angry dinner?;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Decided we would save money and make brunch this morning. I made my first ever Hollandaise sauce. I've always thought it was really hard to make but it was actually quite easy - although I was a bit heavy on the lemon juice. Had it with poached eggs, bacon and toast. The perfect brunch!

rocknchef wrote: »
    all that talk of Minestrone the other day got you cooking did it taste the way mammy used to make it:D

Hehehehe yeah only mine was better! :)

My mom cooks to the letter of any recipe she's using. I cook to the letter and then start improvising if it's not coming up the way I want it to - I taste as I go along.

That, and I can't get decent streaky bacon down here, so it was minestrone soup with a sort of thick back rasher normally used for spare-rib style dishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Home-made (bacon cheese)burgers, Spuds, Onion, mozarella sticks...all done on the grill.

Used smoking chips for extra flavour.

There was supposed to be a salad with it, but between baby bonkey and house-moving chaos, that got deferred.

• Advertisement

Did oxtails in rioja tonight, for eating tomorrow with roast spuds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement