Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Finally made lakeshore pork from the recipe that was posted in this forum a while back. I keep meaning to make it.

I sent the bf to the dairy for cream and apple juice and he arrived back with apple and nectarine juice. It smelled really like peaches so I was hesitant to use it but it turned out fine. I used English hot mustard and I def think it'd be nicer with wholegrain mustard. Had to use the substitute as bf was not going out again!

Served it with mashed potatoes (which I naughtily put a bit of the cream in). It needed veg so next time will make spinach, green beans or cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night was pork, done in a pinchos marinade. Sun turned to rain at just the wrong moment, to the grill wasn't lit and we did it in the oven instead, with cauliflower and leek cheese and fried potatoes.

Tonight was courgette, merguez, and rabbit done on the grill, served with taboule and bread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had roast belly pork with lots of crackling, braised cabbage and new potatoes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Made burgers from scratch - I bought a kilo of rump steak with a good bit of fat on - minced that with a couple of shallots, a sprinkle of bbq spice and a dash of worcester sauce. Grilled on charcoal 'Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

yesterday had roaqst chicken and ham with carrot roasted in garlic olive oil and thyme and some baby potatoes and marrowfats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

Chicken pie and steamed veg need to pratice more on the pastry but was great this time. Followed by cheese cake always think the best thing about Dinner is dessert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Tonight was mixed seafood(salmon, scallops, prawns) in a garlic cream and spinach sauce with some wholemeal pasta. Quite tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

tonight i made lamb, potato and spinach curry with pooris. the curry came out great but the poori not so good. the flour i used was extra course whole meal and was a bit too course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Big pot of chili.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Chicken breast marinaded in teriayki soy and honey, wokked off and into pitta with iceberg lettuce, spring onions and the best tomatoes ive had in ages. I got them in F&Bs on the way home yesterday. They had 9 different varities there....some I hadnt seen before.

There was a maroony colour one, normal size adn shape, just the colour different. Yellow, green too. Ive never had these - do they taste any different? In my head the green ones are more bitter and the yellow ones taste like peppers. :) Anyone had them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Deepsense wrote: »
    Chicken breast marinaded in teriayki soy and honey, wokked off and into pitta with iceberg lettuce, spring onions and the best tomatoes ive had in ages. I got them in F&Bs on the way home yesterday. They had 9 different varities there....some I hadnt seen before.
    There was a maroony colour one, normal size adn shape, just the colour different. Yellow, green too. Ive never had these - do they taste any different? In my head the green ones are more bitter and the yellow ones taste like peppers. :) Anyone had them?

New season Dutch (and some Irish) tomatoes are available now, TBH I have only ever had red and yellow ones, which IMO tasted the same, maybe the yellow not quiet as "sharp".

Is F&B's a greengrocer ? - I must try to get our local greengrocer to get me some of these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dh0661 wrote: »
    New season Dutch (and some Irish) tomatoes are available now, TBH I have only ever had red and yellow ones, which IMO tasted the same, maybe the yellow not quiet as "sharp".

Is F&B's a greengrocer ? - I must try to get our local greengrocer to get me some of these.

F&B = Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer street (maybe wexford street now that i thinka bout it?) in Dublin 2, town the street from the international towards gorges street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

As Seaneh said. Its not somewhere I end up very often - more at the start fo the month :) Its got fantastic stock but its very expensive. For example - bunch of scallions F&B = €1.00 whereas Aldi = €0.49 - saw the ad on telly holding my eura scallions.

Mocking me I tell you! :pac:

Seeing as I have 42 chicken fillets left, its going to be chicken for the long haul. Last night I just wokked a breast off with some peppers and mushrooms and then shook rice vinegar, oyster sauce and soy in on top.

Tonight is ....chicken and sweetcorn and sweetpotato soup batch making.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Seeing as I have 42 chicken fillets left, its going to be chicken for the long haul.

You'll be sprouting feathers :D

Last night I made a version of cottage pie but instead of mash on top I put thick slices of boiled new potatoes. I brushed them with a little oil and they went nice and crisp on the outside. Had it with cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts.

As Seaneh said. Its not somewhere I end up very often - more at the start fo the month :) Its got fantastic stock but its very expensive. For example - bunch of scallions F&B = €1.00 whereas Aldi = €0.49 - saw the ad on telly holding my eura scallions.

Mocking me I tell you! :pac:

Seeing as I have 42 chicken fillets left, its going to be chicken for the long haul. Last night I just wokked a breast off with some peppers and mushrooms and then shook rice vinegar, oyster sauce and soy in on top.

Tonight is ....chicken and sweetcorn and sweetpotato soup batch making.

Lord above, thats a lot of chicken, hope you don't suffer the probblems some men in the states have suffered from eating too much chicken (as in I hope they aren't pumped full of hormones to make them grow quicker!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Last night - Chicken Jalfrezi with garlic and corriander naan bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Its got fantastic stock but its very expensive. For example - bunch of scallions F&B = €1.00 whereas Aldi = €0.49 - saw the ad on telly holding my eura scallions.

49c is not a realistic price for scallions that come all the way from Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Grill whole tilapia with new spuds and asparagus. The fish was rubbish - muddy/earthy taste. I will know better next time. Farmed fish for 3 quid can't be good!

Last night - Cod in Beer Batter with chips

last night, Spag Bolg, the Heston Bluemthal way (recipe from "In search of perfection"). was great, might make more chutny to add to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Guests three nights in a row! Tuesday night we had chilli (the best chilli I've ever made, I think). Wednesday we had enchiladas with corn, spicy rice, salad and all the usual trimmings (salsa, sour cream etc.). Last night we had roast chicken with stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli and gravy, followed by baked rice pudding with lots of raisins and nutmeg. All boring old favourites, but good hearty food with friends. :)

Tonight someone else is cooking and I'm bringing dessert (strawberry mousse and shortbread cookies), but tomorrow we're going to an all-day movie party and I'm bringing a big batch of my recently discovered perfect pizza dough, to make a pile of pizzas to shove into our faces while watching movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Dublin Coddle inspired from yesterdays thread:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

chicken korma thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Really enjoyed my dinner yesterday! we had pork chops marinated in BBQ sauce (garlic, ketchup, worchester sauce, vinegar, parsley) with paprika potato wedges- absolutely delicious- really loved the potatoes, the paprika gave it a lovely kick!

Friday night was marinated chicken and beef kebabs with lots of salads, breads and cheeses and about eighty desserts.

Saturday was the aforementioned pizza extraordinaire.

Today my mum in law cooked and it was an incredible buffet lunch - baked ham, roast chicken, poached salmon, lasagne, and a huge array of salads and breads, finished off with home-made cheesecake and rhubarb tart. (She's the real reason I married him.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I went to Wagamama's for dinner last night - amazing!

I had Miso soup.
    And then the Teriyaki Chicken Soba - chicken and teppan fried soba noodles with curry oil, mangetout, red chillies, red and spring onions, ginger, beansprouts and bok choi. with teriyaki sauce, coriander and mixed sesame seeds :D

Mmmm.

Highly recommend the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had dinner mid day today and did pan fried striploin with baby boiled spuds and some al dente veg (baby corn, carrots, etc)

We ate out last night but on Friday night had whole seabass baked in a foil bag with boiled spuds seasoned with salt and pepper. Cant for the life of me remember what veg was served!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night I made home made burgers with caramelised red onions and cheese served with dauphinoise potatoes and broccoli.

We also had cream of pumpkin soup to start.

Twas yum!

Last night a smokey bacon & mince tomato sause pasta bake with parmesan cheese on top with garlic potatos - had 2nd, 3rd and 4th helpings!!

• Advertisement

Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam, cream sauce and chips. Very unhealthy but very yum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement