Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Thai Beef red curry with boiled rice....
    Good eatin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Cheese and spinach omlette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

meatballs, creamed tomatoes and spaghetti topped off with grated cheese - my idea of spag bol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Bruchetta - about 3 portions of it.

Gorgeous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

dlambirl wrote: »
    Last night a smokey bacon & mince tomato sause pasta bake with parmesan cheese on top with garlic potatos - had 2nd, 3rd and 4th helpings!!

Oooh... that sounds yummy. Have you the recipe?

Can't be the traditional grub- had bacon, black pudding and colcannon for dinner yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chicken Thigh and Leg cooked in a Spicy Tomato sauce with Onion and Mushroom, served with Mashed Spuds and carrots.

Was delicious, and I have another helping of the sauce left.

I love eating chicken on the bone, so much more tasty than breast fillets. When it's cooked perfectly it just falls off the bone too.

On sunday night I had baked tuna fillets with steamed Brocolli and Asparagus and boiled baby potatos.

The Tuna Fillets were frozen from Aldi, and absolutely delicious.

nerdysal wrote: »
    Oooh... that sounds yummy. Have you the recipe?

Can't be the traditional grub- had bacon, black pudding and colcannon for dinner yesterday!

i literally threw everything into a pan - dunno if i could remember what all was in it!! I fried smokey bacon, onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, tomatos, chilli, mince, lemon juice and brocolli, into a pan and tried, canned of tomatos, salt, pepper and basil, and let it simmer - flung in the pasta and put it in the oven with grated cheese on top. Then when it was golden brown served it with grated parmesan cheese.

Got the idea from a lyod grossman smokey bacon sauce I tried a while back.

I'm hungry now again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Spaghetti Bolognese, fried onion, garlic, with diced carrot & broccoli
    browned mince with parsley, oregano, added tin of diced tomatoes along with smoked paprika, glass of wine & beef stock and reduced & simmered for an hour .. delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Des wrote: »

The Tuna Fillets were frozen from Aldi, and absolutely delicious.

I used to buy those and always had them in the freezer. They are about a third of the price of the fresh ones from the fishmonger and they are just as nice. Definitely recommend them. They were so handy to have in the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Not sure what to call this.

I put a good dollop of Olive Oil in a pan with loads of garlic (at least 2-3 big cloves) Fried that off then added a tin of chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. A fist full of fresh Spinach. A bag of frozen king prawns. A tin of John West Crab Meat. Juice from half a lemon. A splash of White Wine. Simmer for 20 mins. I had it with baby potatoes.

Ate the lot in one go.!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i just had ribs. I cooked them in beer for an hour with garlic and onion in the casserole dish. then i covered them in my homemade sauce and grilled them bad boys. served with corn on the cob and mashed potato. Messy but epic!
    Sauce:
    • honey mustard
    • ketchup
    • vinegar
    • tabasco
    • pepper
    • chilli flakes
    • Worcestershire sauce

no exact measurements, i just kept adding until i had enough / was satisfied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i just had ribs. I cooked them in beer for an hour with garlic and onion in the casserole dish. then i covered them in my homemade sauce and grilled them bad boys. served with corn on the cob and mashed potato. Messy but epic!
    Sauce:
    • honey mustard
    • ketchup
    • vinegar
    • tabasco
    • pepper
    • chilli flakes
    • Worcestershire sauce

man, that sounds goooood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

We had new season locally (Tralee) grown spring cabbage and queens potatoes with a piece of vac pack corned beef ex. Dunnes, which was quiet tasty and tender.It actually reminded me of a dinner my Mam would have made all those years ago.

I had a 'prik khing' curry
    red curry paste, fish sauce, suger & ginger
    with chicken, carrots, bean sprouts & mushrooms
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/7279/prik-khing---thai-red-curry-chicken.html

Got half price Roast in Super Valu so.... roast, roastie spuds, garlic potatoes, gravy and veg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Staying with an American friend for dinner the last two nights...on Wednesday we had "breakfast for dinner" - American pancakes with butter and maple syrup, American sausage and scrambled eggs. Last night we had steak fajitas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lasange.
    spent 12 hours making my ragu but damn it was worth it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Lasange.
    spent 12 hours making my ragu but damn it was worth it.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, I let the ragu stew for 12 hours is what I ment to say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

striploin steak from Aldi, boiled new potatoes, fried onions, mushrooms, red, green and yellow peppers. seasened with steakhouse pepper and then sour cream mixed in to make a sauce. yum yum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Sauce:
    • honey mustard
    • ketchup
    • vinegar
    • tabasco
    • pepper
    • chilli flakes
    • Worcestershire sauce

Sounds amazing. can you elaborate on the cooking in beer. pork or beef ribs etc.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Murmez Khan's lamb curry from Rick Stein's book, with plain boiled rice, cucumber raita, a salad of red onion, green olive and tomato and some poppadoms with mango chutney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Garlic roast chicken with every trimming I could think of, including carrot and swede mash, crushed potatoes with parsley butter and sea salt, floury roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, roast parsnips and home made gravy.

Parsnips are crap here at the moment - woody centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Swampy wrote: »
    Sounds amazing. can you elaborate on the cooking in beer. pork or beef ribs etc.??

they were bog standard pork ribs i got in the butchers. i stuck them in a casserole dish with a chopped onion and 2 chopped cloves of garlic. the beer i used was erdinger dunkel as i had some in the press, you could prob use any beer. i cooked that mix for an hour at 100 degrees C. They were more or less done at that stage but i covered them in sauce and grilled them. They turned out great, but would probably have been better if i had a barbecue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tonights dinner was one of our own freerange, organic Broilers.
    I killed it yesterday evening and plucked gutted and cleaned it last night.
    Mrs Haughey roasted it with gravy, roast spuds and and roast sweet potato and carrot, the gravy from the chicken was very tasty.
    Hard to beat good food that you trust and know has had a good life.
    We have another 5 chickens to dispatch in the next few weeks, will probably freeze them up and have them ready for future roast dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight was nice, simple comfort food - pasta bake. Cooked some pasta until almost al dente, and made a rich, garlicky tomato sauce to toss it in. I added a few tablespoons of sweetcorn, and topped with bechamel sauce and cheddar, and baked. We ate it with a rocket salad. It was delicious.

Fry: italian sausages, onions, red pepper & mushrooms
    add garlic, thyme, parsley, oregano & glass of red wine - reduce
    add stock, tomatoe puree & tin of tomatoes
    serve with pasta

Had a lazy day yesterday - bacon and cheese breaded chicken kiev, chicken gougons, chips, onion rings and salad with caesar dressing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Tonights dinner was one of our own freerange, organic Broilers.
    I killed it yesterday evening and plucked gutted and cleaned it last night.
    Mrs Haughey roasted it with gravy, roast spuds and and roast sweet potato and carrot, the gravy from the chicken was very tasty.
    Hard to beat good food that you trust and know has had a good life.
    We have another 5 chickens to dispatch in the next few weeks, will probably freeze them up and have them ready for future roast dinners.

Plucking, gutting and cleaning it I think I could manage. It's actually killing it I'd baulk at. Sorry state of affairs, I know. I often discuss with a neighbour how if I could, I'd have some land with a couple of cattle, sheep and chickens, all for meat, but I'd need to be able to hire a mobile slaughterman to come around and do the deed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yesterday i had the new texican whopper from burger king, not one for BK at all but the add for this caught my eye a few weeks ago and i didnt fancy cooking. it wasnt bad at all, probably the best form BK i have had. they were a bit tight with the halapenos for my liking but not bad for fast food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement