Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I had a friend over for out traditional mid-week dinnner. I made pork stroganoff with kumara and apple rosti. Yummy!

He brought Danish pastries for dessert but I actually hate raisins so had to pretend to be full so he wouldn't be offended! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Tonights dinner was one of our own freerange, organic Broilers.
    I killed it yesterday evening and plucked gutted and cleaned it last night.
    Mrs Haughey roasted it with gravy, roast spuds and and roast sweet potato and carrot, the gravy from the chicken was very tasty.
    Hard to beat good food that you trust and know has had a good life.
    We have another 5 chickens to dispatch in the next few weeks, will probably freeze them up and have them ready for future roast dinners.

Killed, plucked, gutted, cleaned and ate all in the one day?

Man....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

dlambirl wrote: »
    Killed, plucked, gutted, cleaned and ate all in the one day?

Man....

No. Killed plucked gutted and chilled in one day, the next day we ate it.:D
    MAJD
    I used a .22 and just shot it as it was wandering abouton the grass.
    One shot through the neck. Instant.
    No need to bleed it either.
    I have seen where some people have a traffic cone with the top cut off to leave a hole of ~3" the bird is stuck into that upside down and the artery under the neck is cut and the bird just bleeds out.
    Some people just break the neck to kill their birds and then bleed them.
    The birds we have look completely different from birds in the supermarket, the supermarket birds have stubby flabby legs, ours stick up at a 45º angle.
    Plus the skin is yellow, I think the skin is linked to feather colour, white birds have white skin, brown feathers have yellow skin.
    My next project is a whizbang plucker, have a look on youtube.

watna wrote: »
    Tonight I had a friend over for out traditional mid-week dinnner. I made pork stroganoff with kumara and apple rosti. Yummy!
    Kumara is a type of sweet potato for those of you that don't speak Maori.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sliced beef with onions, mushrooms, garlic, brocolli & sugar peas,
    with hoisin sauce ... looked nicer than it actualy was!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No. Killed plucked gutted and chilled in one day, the next day we ate it.:D
    MAJD
    I used a .22 and just shot it as it was wandering abouton the grass.
    One shot through the neck. Instant.
    No need to bleed it either.
    I have seen where some people have a traffic cone with the top cut off to leave a hole of ~3" the bird is stuck into that upside down and the artery under the neck is cut and the bird just bleeds out.
    Some people just break the neck to kill their birds and then bleed them.
    The birds we have look completely different from birds in the supermarket, the supermarket birds have stubby flabby legs, ours stick up at a 45º angle.
    Plus the skin is yellow, I think the skin is linked to feather colour, white birds have white skin, brown feathers have yellow skin.
    My next project is a whizbang plucker, have a look on youtube.

skin colour generally has more to dso with diet as the chickens from breast in france which are regarded as the best in the world are all white feathered and have a distinct yellow skin colour because of their corn based diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Seaneh wrote: »
    skin colour generally has more to dso with diet as the chickens from breast in france which are regarded as the best in the world are all white feathered and have a distinct yellow skin colour because of their corn based diet.

very true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

last night I had spare ribs (done very similarly to how JIZZLORD described recently), prawns, halloumi, herby potatoes and courgette...all from the grill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I made a huuuuge lasagne at the weekend and froze it off in portions. I had that with a tomato and basil and balsamic salad. Ive become obsessed with tomatoes and chicken lately. Tonight is spag bol. More spag than bol, bound with shaved parmesan. I got a 1/4 wheel in from Naples a wile ago and its been getting stick ever since.

Not true apparently sex linked,http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/products.php?id=9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Meat jambalya. Spicy, hearty, yummy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

My poor mother does go out of her head trying to think of different things to do with vegetables. I don't be at home during the week because I'm at college and my dad and my sister don't really care about food they'll just eat what they're given. So,mam ends up cooking carrots and brocolli every day. But now I'm at home for the summer and she's given me responsibility for cooking dinner and I love trying new things. So last night, we had lamb chops and the nicest veg ever! It was carrots (cut julienne), green beans and leek(cut into ribbons) with creme fraiche and a pinch of salt added to them. It sounds so simple but trust me it was delicious! I found it in Good Food magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I think it is Bourge en Bresse that is famous for the chicken rather than Brest. http://www.aftouch-cuisine.com/recipes-theme/bresse-chicken.htm

It is in Burgundy rather than Brittany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

nerdysal wrote: »
    the nicest veg ever! It was carrots (cut julienne), green beans and leek(cut into ribbons) with creme fraiche and a pinch of salt added to them. It sounds so simple but trust me it was delicious!

The way vegetables cut makes no difference to the taste.

In season, fresh vegetables cooked properly always taste best. Trust me.

Last night was white asparagus w. home-made mayo, griddled lamb, and boiled new potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dh0661 wrote: »

He/she didn't actually say the way they were cut mattered to the taste.

Anyway, last night I had pizza out and then homemade brownies at a beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

nerdysal wrote: »
    My poor mother does go out of her head trying to think of different things to do with vegetables. I don't be at home during the week because I'm at college and my dad and my sister don't really care about food they'll just eat what they're given. So,mam ends up cooking carrots and brocolli every day. But now I'm at home for the summer and she's given me responsibility for cooking dinner and I love trying new things. So last night, we had lamb chops and the nicest veg ever! It was carrots (cut julienne), green beans and leek(cut into ribbons) with creme fraiche and a pinch of salt added to them. It sounds so simple but trust me it was delicious! I found it in Good Food magazine.

try carrot and parsnip with creme fraiche and black pepper. Also carrots with garlic and thyme roasted in olive oil.

I think the way veg are cut changes the appeal alright to some people. I just love veg in general except turnip. Last night I had a chicken and rocket wrap with some tikka spices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,137 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I strongly disagree.
    The way a vegetable is cut affects the way it cooks which in turn affects the way it tastes.

Try cutting carrots in round slices and some in batons and boil them for the same amount of time.
    They taste considerably different.
    Trust me!!

I strongly disagree.
    The way a vegetable is cut affects the way it cooks which in turn affects the way it tastes.

Try cutting carrots in round slices and some in batons and boil them for the same amount of time.
    Trust me!!

agreed well its a know brainer a thin peace of carrot hold little flavor because there's not much there so what ever flavor is there can get cooked out of it...

where as the bigger ones retain flavor thus tasting better.... but then again some people boil them till theres no taste left.....

any way

im having tender loin cooked on oyster suace, terriaki, honey ginger chili lime zest and lemon grass with crispy rice noodles and some wok veg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

joolsveer wrote: »
    I think it is Bourge en Bresse that is famous for the chicken rather than Brest. http://www.aftouch-cuisine.com/recipes-theme/bresse-chicken.htm

It is in Burgundy rather than Brittany.

I knew it was either Bresse or breast but remember which.

• Advertisement

Last night was chicken satay skewers, gyros pork skewers and halloumi from the grill, boiled new potatoes, salad, the remainder of the home-made mayo, peanut sauce (for the satay), and then multiple desserts of grilled chocolate bananas*, fresh pineapple and vanilla ice cream.

* Take an unpeeled banana and cut a slit down the length of it...mostly through the banana, but not out the skin on the other side. Stuff slices of dark chocolate in. Sit it on the grill (slit upwards!) and leave for 20-ish minutes.

I had Pasta cabinara made the propper way from scratch tock 10 minites to make and one of the most satisfying thing I've eatin in along time......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I strongly disagree.

Trust me!!

I did say cooked properly. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I tried this last night
    http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/coconut_chicken_masala_p_1.html

was decent enough, next time I would add more spice for a bit more kick

Was in foot stamping foul form all day yesterday. One of those days where nothing less than a chicken kiev, mash and peas & gravy.

Tonight is pork chops and baked potatoes and beans & gravy.

last night was spaghetti with homemade wild garlic pesto, accompanied by a side-salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,137 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Em, that's the bit I strongly disagreed with.
    And still do:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Last night was sitting in front of the telly watching football food- chicken wings with homemade blue cheese dip, steak sandwich with roast red onion and roast cherry tomatoes and homemade wedges. And of course a few beers to complement it all :)

Last night was brusette to start followed by gnocci in tomato sauce with parmesan, eaten in the garden with a nice glass of cianti. Perfecto :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i made homemade pizza !!!!!!!!!! and the night before homemade lamb madras , bombay aloo ,rice and i also tried my hand at baking nann bread absolutely lovely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement