Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, I christened the steamer/oven that was in the kitchen of our new place when we moved in. Did spare-ribs w. bbq sauce and skewers of curried beef (originally intended to grill, but it was too windy).

Well impressed with the results. The combination of oven and steamer kept the meat phenomenally moist, and really tenderised it, without making it feel like it had been boiled / steamed and not roasted.

Served with new potatoes, green and white asparagus, (w. home-made bearnaise and home-made mayo) and a big salad of mixed leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i had this last night
    http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/occasions/dinner-parties/come-dine-with-me/series-2/chicken-curry-recipe_p_1.html

in the show potatoes were used too, so i chucked them in. Great curry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Just back from Acill last night so couldnt be bothered cooking. Had boxty and some cold ham with tartare sauce. A bit odd sounding I know, but if you go a bit extra heavy on the gherkins and parsley, it goes reall well togeather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've had barbecue the last few nights - t-bones marinated in a little oil, sliced onions, crushed mixed peppercorns and worcestershire sauce on Sunday, pork ribs boiled and then BBQ'd with hoi sin sauce yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I got my newest Kitchen Gadget for my birthday a pasta machine (roller/cutter) and made fresh rivoli, I did two types of filling Spinach and Ricotta and my favourite pea, bacon and goats cheese! They were Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Braised lamb shanks with flageolet beans - served with some boiled potatoes and my first crop of purple sprouting brocolli from the garden. Also I had a big heap of gremolata on the top. Hoping the garlic will keep away the cold bug that everyone seems to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night we had homemade pizza cooked on the barbeque. It was so amazing that we're having it again tonight. My pizza stone has officially been retired, this is THE way to cook pizza going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not for dinner but:

500g strong bread flour, 10g salt, 15g instant yeast, 320g water, 50g extra virgin lemon olive oil (made by pressing olives and lemon zest in the press).

Mixed, worked, rested, formed into small rounds, rested again, dipped in water and then seeds (poppy seeds for some, a mix of poppy/sesame/sunflower seeds for others) and pressed in a bit, then baked at 250 on a pizza stone for 10-12 minutes.

Yummy and lemony :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Koka Noodles (chicken flavour) on bread with loads of real butter.. bleedin' delish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

xzanti wrote: »
    Koka Noodles (chicken flavour) on bread with loads of real butter.. bleedin' delish :D

:eek: Had steak with garden potatoes and salad yesterday. Going to the Winding Stair tonight :cool:

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night we had homemade pizza cooked on the barbeque. It was so amazing that we're having it again tonight. My pizza stone has officially been retired, this is THE way to cook pizza going forward.

Okay, BBQ pizza, unless you intend to patent the method, please share. I'm intrigued...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

jdivision wrote: »
    :eek:

Seriously, try it :D

http://lichtyfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/grilled-pizza.html

IMG_1257.JPG

Looks good! It's a crying shame apartment dwellers can't BBQ :(

The brother is visiting for a few days. Im a bit stuck as to what to cook him. Hes not a salad bloke but its too hot for spuds 'n meat. Boxty with roasted peppers and some St Killian cheese with basil oil over maybe. Hes great for trying what I give him but hes a Mammys cooking boy at the end of the day :pac:

Roccas is just around the corner if it all goes pear shaped! After 10 days at sea, Id say hes more interested in the beer anyway!

its too hot for spuds 'n meat.
    Pfffft. Girly.
    If it's too hot for spuds'n'meat, it's perfect weather for BBQ.
    Or pizza.
    Or bbq'd pizza.
    And beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Well I had a nice Foo Lok. It's the local chinese take-away. Got a plain sausage meal. Twas lovely. Would advise anybody if they are in Blanch to get 1

Last night, I reheated chicken legs (originally marinaded and basted with a gyros-and-lemon mix then roasted), and did a variety of sausages on the grill. Some bread and a salad (mixed green leaves, tomato, mozarella).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Minder wrote: »
    Okay, BBQ pizza, unless you intend to patent the method, please share. I'm intrigued...

Ok, well the base is the star of this show, here's the recipe I use. These quantities will make 4x 12" bases - halve if you want, or just have them two days in a row, like me!

2 cups warm water
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    4.5 teaspoons active dry yeast
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    5 cups strong flour (or Tipo 00 if you can get it)

1. Stir water, sugar and yeast together until dissolved. Add the olive oil and the salt. Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together enough to handle (if it's very dry, add a little more olive oil). Turn out on a clean surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.

2. Return the dough to an oiled bowl and brush the top with oil. Cover and allow to prove until doubled in size. Knock back and knead for another five minutes. Roll out your bases and use immediately, or stack on floured tinfoil in the fridge until ready to use, but remove them from the fridge about 10 minutes before cooking.

The key to successful barbeque pizza is not to over-top them, because you've no upper heat source. I tore up the mozzarella about 2 hours before I made them and left it to drain on paper towels. Don't lash on the sauce either, just a dessert-spoonful on each base was perfect.

Have the bases all rolled out and the toppings ready to go on the table. You cook the base on one side, top the cooked side at the table and then put it back on the barbie to cook the underside. Takes about 6 minutes in total and it was one of the best pizzas I've ever had, and believe me I've eaten a lot of pizza!

For the sauce, I just crushed some tomatoes with raw garlic, torn fresh basil and salt & pepper. The further in advance you make this, the better it will be.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

last night........two packets of crisps - one salt and vinegar the other cheese and onion.

:cool:

• Advertisement

:eek: Had steak with garden potatoes and salad yesterday. Going to the Winding Stair tonight :cool:
    How was The Winding Stairs? The last time I was there it was a gorgeous afternoon and the food was really really nice. One of my favourite places to....unwind ...Ill go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Two homemade burritos with veg and beans, had run out of any type of beans but baked, so washed the sauce off with a sieve and threw them in the pan, turned out really tasty.

Bit of a mixture of all things oriental. We had Vietnamese lemongrass chicken, baked aubergines with chinese five spice and sichuan pepper corns and a gado gado salad with peanut sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Deepsense wrote: »
    How was The Winding Stairs? The last time I was there it was a gorgeous afternoon and the food was really really nice. One of my favourite places to....unwind ...Ill go now.
    My mate who organised it didn't book it so it was full when we got there. Doh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My mate who organised it didn't book it so it was full when we got there. Doh:(

:( - heard it meant to be lovely.

Anyways, last night I had a chicken caesar salad with potato salad and a glass of chilled white wine....

Its really nice. Shame you missed it this time.

Last night was chicken kiev again, with colcannon and peas and cauliflower cheese. The brother is gone today so I can go back to mid week forragging of leftovers that have been in the freezer and forgotten about until laziness and hunger kick in.

Last night was a starter of melon & serrano ham, followed by a main course of fried fillets of plaice, boiled new spuds with a parsely & garlic dressing, and a big salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Planet X wrote: »
    Is that a real photo? No offence, but it looks as though youve shopped it on. Or maybe Im just staring at the screen for too many hours today?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement