Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Spanish Omlette for lunch......

P1000563.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dutch baby for brunch, topped with strawberries and whipped cream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pizzas done on pizza baking stone in the oven, using store bought fresh bases, topped with nice things from the fridge.

Anyone got a recipe for pizza sauce? I used a shop-bought tomato puree with herbs and it was pretty awful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As Mrs Billy was visiting me in Bern (a popular place with boardsies!) this weekend we dined in style.

Friday was the Altes Tramdepot. I had a Bernese plate of sausages, ham, bacon sauerkraut & potatoes, & Mrs Billy had Pork sausage with onion gravy & Rösti. Honest to goodness grub & great beer brewed on the premises.

Saturday we went to Punkt. I went for a papaya, chili & prawn starter followed by a fantastic Thai green curry (Geang-Kheaw-Wan-Kai). Mrs B had Prawn Satay & Murg Kari. Really fresh & fiery, bursting with taste. Great staff too.

Last night we went traditional again in Restaurant Ratskeller. Her good self had sauteed veal in a cream sauce with Rösti while I opted for calf's liver. We both agreed that it was the best liver we have ever tasted. It was so tender that you could spread it straight on bread like paté. Incredible food Snooty waiters & ridiculous prices though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Pizzas done on pizza baking stone in the oven, using store bought fresh bases, topped with nice things from the fridge.

Anyone got a recipe for pizza sauce? I used a shop-bought tomato puree with herbs and it was pretty awful...

There's a nice dough and quick but tasty sauce recipe here. I've tried tomato sauces cooked for hours on pizza too, and prefer this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Excellent, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This doesn't sound great but it really works well on pizza.

Heat up a cast iron pan until smoking.
    Add a generous glug of olive oil.
    Throw in a can of tomates, chopped clove of garlic & teaspoon of dried oregano. It will splatter and make a lot of noise.
    Cook over a high heat for about 8 mins, stirring so it doesn't burn, until it is reduced to a nice thick paste.
    Season with salt & pepper.

Done.
    Trust me, its good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Dutch baby for brunch, topped with strawberries and whipped cream...

I had to look this up. Why would you call a dish that? :confused:

Last night I had Irish baby. Its a 2 part dish containing Hoola Hoops and wine. No cooking required. Much like a salad. :pac:

Bern seems to be the place to be for good food this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cured meets, blue cheese, caminbare, freash bread.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, I had carrot salad, beetroot salad, pork chops, and a chunk of crusy bread.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Friday was the Altes Tramdepot.
    Great spot. Do they have a "season beer" at the moment?

Wotchyoo doing in Bern (if you don't mind me asking)???

• Advertisement

bonkey:

No seasonal beer that I noticed on Friday. Had the usual Helles. Enjoyed a Gürten Bier or 6 yesterday afternoon.

As for why I am here... I'm sure that our "foodie boardsies" wouldn't be too interested in the ins & outs of telecoms billing system consolidation, so I've sent you a PM. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lidl have Nuremburgers back in stock! HAHM. So had a few of these bad boys on the BBQ in a roll with mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

cured meets, blue cheese, caminbare, freash bread.....

Clearly you also had a skinful of drink with what I assume was actually cured meats, camembert and fresh bread... ;)

Went to Tribeca in Ranelagh last night. Tonight I'm doing chicken, white wine & asparagus risotto.

Tonight was fajita night.

If anyone has a good fajita spice-mix they use, I'd be interested.

I went with a mix of cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, salt and coriander. Worked OK, but it wasn't quite right...

Nice and simple tonight.

1 cup basmati rice washed in the sieve and left in a bowl of water for a half-hour.
    Cast iron skillet into an oven aimed at 250C.
    Veg stock cube into a pot with 2 cups of boiling water and put on high heat, covered; when at a rolling boil, stirred to make sure the cube had broken up, then dropped heat to low, added the rice and put a tea-towel over the top and then put on the lid and folded up the tea-towel's corners so they didn't catch fire this time. Set timer for five minutes, then turned the main hob (which has nothing on it) up to full.
    After timer went off, moved rice pot to a cold hob, took cast iron skillet from oven and put it on the main hob (putting hot cast iron on a cold induction hob is probably going to lead to cracking noises). Set timer for 15 minutes, and started it off.
    Took steaks, put on a plate, salted and peppered them on both sides and put about two tablespoons of peanut oil on the steaks and turned them about a few times to get them all oiled up.
    After three or four minutes for the pan to get even hotter (btw, hurrah for extractor fans), took steaks and put them straight into the skillet. Cue sizzling and aerosolised pepper.
    After 45 seconds on the first side (and 30 seconds of hacking and coughing because of the pepper), flipped steaks. Lovely brown sear.
    45 seconds later, killed heat to the hob, flipped steaks again, then put the skillet and steaks into the 250C oven.
    2 minutes later, open oven, blind self on smoke and hot air, reach in with tongs, flip steaks, close oven.
    Put out a large plate, put a cake rack on the plate, take out the aluminium foil.
    After 2 minutes, pull the steaks, put them on the rack, cover with a bit of foil, kill heat to oven, leave skillet in there to cool down.
    When the timer for the rice goes off, pop the lid, fluff up with a fork,then sprinkle with about a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon or two of coriander, then toss about with the fork.
    Then serve and eat.
    Took more effort to write it up than it did to cook it...

Sparks wrote: »
    Nice and simple tonight.

1 cup basmati rice washed in the sieve and left in a bowl of water for a half-hour.
    Cast iron skillet into an oven aimed at 250C.
    Veg stock cube into a pot with 2 cups of boiling water and put on high heat, covered; when at a rolling boil, stirred to make sure the cube had broken up, then dropped heat to low, added the rice and put a tea-towel over the top and then put on the lid and folded up the tea-towel's corners so they didn't catch fire this time. Set timer for five minutes, then turned the main hob (which has nothing on it) up to full.
    After timer went off, moved rice pot to a cold hob, took cast iron skillet from oven and put it on the main hob (putting hot cast iron on a cold induction hob is probably going to lead to cracking noises). Set timer for 15 minutes, and started it off.
    Took steaks, put on a plate, salted and peppered them on both sides and put about two tablespoons of peanut oil on the steaks and turned them about a few times to get them all oiled up.
    After three or four minutes for the pan to get even hotter (btw, hurrah for extractor fans), took steaks and put them straight into the skillet. Cue sizzling and aerosolised pepper.
    After 45 seconds on the first side (and 30 seconds of hacking and coughing because of the pepper), flipped steaks. Lovely brown sear.
    45 seconds later, killed heat to the hob, flipped steaks again, then put the skillet and steaks into the 250C oven.
    2 minutes later, open oven, blind self on smoke and hot air, reach in with tongs, flip steaks, close oven.
    Put out a large plate, put a cake rack on the plate, take out the aluminium foil.
    After 2 minutes, pull the steaks, put them on the rack, cover with a bit of foil, kill heat to oven, leave skillet in there to cool down.
    When the timer for the rice goes off, pop the lid, fluff up with a fork,then sprinkle with about a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon or two of coriander, then toss about with the fork.
    Then serve and eat.
    Took more effort to write it up than it did to cook it...

Just rice and steak?
    Where's the veg?

Just rice and steak?
    Where's the veg?
    I used veg stock, didn't I?
    Sheesh! It was a manly dinner dammit! Veg is what food eats!

I used veg stock, didn't I?
    Sheesh! It was a manly dinner dammit! Veg is what food eats!

The use of a veg stock cube had me thinking you were a girl!!:D
    Out of chicken and beef?

Out of chicken and beef?
    Yes actually :D

BGRH
    > :pac:

As I type Im trying to eat a vegetarian chilli. Its not very nice. Far too much fennell and waaaaaay to hot for my liking. Im practically swallowing it whole as its too hot to chew. No kidney beans in it either :( I like kidney beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Deepsense wrote: »
    I like kidney beans.

Me to :D

Sheesh! It was a manly dinner dammit!

A manly dinner....with basmati rice???

;)

Where's the veg?
    The answer was right there in front of you. See below. :)
    Sparks wrote:
    a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon or two of coriander
    Good man Sparks. A proper man's dinner. (Dunno about the veg stock though. :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

What I had for din dins last night was, homemade lasagna and a fresh baked crusty bread roll.
    What I'll have for din dins tonight is left over homemade lasagna, yummy :)

I have some puff pastry and chicken thighs for tomorrow so I'm thinking chicken pie type thingy?!.........:P any suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Beef strogonoff (sp?) last night with creamy mashed potato. It was delicious.

Tonight it will probably be mushroom risotto with plenty of garlic and parmasan.

bonkey wrote: »
    A manly dinner....with basmati rice???
    ;)
    It was picked in the Himalayas by highly trained Shaolin monks who ritually killed kittens before picking started each morning and who stored the rice in bags made from skinned nazis. It's manly basmati rice! :D

Ive recovered sufficiently from the chilli to accept a dinner invitation to a friends house tonight. She is the worst cook Ive ever met. When I say "dinner" I use the word in a burnt, inedible, smoking pile of dead ashy meat that would blend in well at Pompeii. Its a outdoor cookout - which apparently is different from a bbq in the fact that we will not all be sitting in the garden.A new one on me.

I will be bringing nachos and lots of wine. And one of those kidney bean salads from M&S. I feel cheated that there were none in the chilli. And pineapple.

Update: We met in town and had a few glasses of wine and managed to forget about outdoor cooking :) Dinner has been wine, Hoola Hoops (they are becoming a food group in my diet at this stage) and chickennny bits. Bad as it souns, its still better than Shells cooking. (Loveyoushellxx)

I went back to Punkt in Bern last night with a couple of workmates. Had green tea ramen noodles with prawns, veg & a hint of chilli (at my request) in Mirin-Shoyu soup.

It was quite possibly one of the most wonderful dishes I have had ever.

The manager sent over a round of drinks on the house as soon as we entered in recognition of the amount of business I have given them recently. Top man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I went back to Punkt in Bern last night with a couple of workmates. Had green tea ramen noodles with prawns, veg & a hint of chilli (at my request) in Mirin-Shoyu soup.

It was quite possibly one of the most wonderful dishes I have had ever.

The manager sent over a round of drinks on the house as soon as we entered in recognition of the amount of business I have given them recently. Top man!

I love when places recognise you like that. There's a cafe here work that I go to once or twice a week because they do lovely cheap and cheerful lunches. Really tasty and reasonable.

I left my scarf there the other day and when I went in next they'd kept it behind the counter because they knew it was mine. I know now, I probably eat there too much! I thought it was really nice though, kind of like cheers, but with scarves!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Roast carrots, potatoes and lentils for good measure! Roasted these first as they take a bit longer than the chicken. 8 chicken legs, some soy sauce, a can of chopped tomatoes, a jar of pasta sauce, some parsley, oregano and turmeric. Done at 180 C for about 55 mins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement