Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night was steak, baked potatoes, and a repeat of the veg (leftovers bulked up) I did with the couscous some nights ago.

Tonight was lamb curry, which was just fantastico.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

bonkey wrote: »
    Tonight was lamb curry, which was just fantastico.

Wasn't anything like this, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5983/lamb-and-spinach-karahi was it? They showed it being done on the Beeb over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Vaguely similar...yeah.

I diced onion, and fried it off until soft and beginning to caremalise.
    Heat up, in with the lamb, until browned.
    Then in with a good dollop of home-made curry-powder, brief stir, then in with diced tomatoes and chillis.
    Deglazed with a bit of vinegar, and added a dash of sugar to balance that off.
    Added water, brought to boil, turned down, and then let simmer until most of the water was gone and the sauve was quite thick.
    Added the washed, uncooked spinach to the dish, stirred it through, and let it wilt in the curry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Was starting to feel a bit bad about putting no effort into cooking lately so this morning before I left for work, I put a ham on slow cook. It will be ready perfectly when I get home. Ill serve it with parsley sauce and Im thinking maybe a turnip gratin and mash. Although I have some goose fat in the fridge that Ive been waiting to use so I might roast some spuds in it to give a bit of texture to the dish. Hoola Hoops will not be featuring on the menu tonight :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My boyfriend made a gorgeous seafood pasta last night. Prawns, mussels and calamari in a tomato sauce, with chili and a splash of brandy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Wasn't anything like this, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5983/lamb-and-spinach-karahi was it? They showed it being done on the Beeb over the weekend.

Thank you, you've just sorted out tonight's dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Last night was vegetarian quiche,
    tonight was chicken & mixed mushroom risotto...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Honey-ec wrote: »

Well, I've just finished eating this and I have to say, it was absolutely DELICIOUS. I couldn't possibly recommend it enough. I pureed all the spinach and added a tin of chickpeas, and would have loved some paneer in it, only I've not seen it for sale anywhere. I will be making this on a very regular basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

:)

Must give it a go some time. Will have to keep an eye out for lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

This was part of my quest to find the ultimate nyommage to stuff into a jacket potato skin... Tis a piece of piss to throw together while you're waiting for the spuds to cook, and is also something I've made to bring into work for lunch a few times;

King prawn cous cous salad type thing
    Couple of cloves of garlic crushed and cooked in oil, add some prawns and a peeled + chopped tomato and cook for a couple of mins, then add to the cous cous, chopped cucumber, spring onion, half a red pepper, some loosly chopped baby spinnach... Mix it all up in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, some balsamic vinegar and a bit of lemon juice and pepper.
    It went down well anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Stuffing a potato with couscous? Carb-tastic. You remind me of my husband, who enjoys the occasional pasta sandwich. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hehe... I always stick leftover pasta in my sandwiches for lunch the next day:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stuffing a potato with couscous? Carb-tastic. You remind me of my husband, who enjoys the occasional pasta sandwich. :)

Or the unbeatable chip butty!!
    Tayto cheese & Onion sandwich is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ah, I confess to crisp and chip sambos myself!

Last night we had barbecued rosemary chicken breasts, with salads (1. mixed leaves with cucumber, peppers, scallions, baby plum tomatoes 2. Avoca salad with broccoli, feta, cherry tomatoes, roasted hazlenuts and french dressing and 3. coleslaw), and pilaf. There was a mound of fresh strawberries and pineapple for dessert, with some melted chocolate for dipping. Yum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Black Oil
    Wasn't anything like this, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5...spinach-karahi was it? They showed it being done on the Beeb over the weekend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honey-ec

Well, I've just finished eating this and I have to say, it was absolutely DELICIOUS. I couldn't possibly recommend it enough. I pureed all the spinach and added a tin of chickpeas, and would have loved some paneer in it, only I've not seen it for sale anywhere. I will be making this on a very regular basis

That sounds great - as an official hater of spinach (and porridge) - its the only recpie that Ive seen that doesnt gross me out.

Last night was the slow cooked ham, parsley sauce and roasted potatoes - quartered and roasted with rosemary. I made some ginger cookies at he weekend and frzoe the dough off. Theyre sugar free and somethinglelsecantrememberwhat free as I was seeking for me a healthy cookie. Unfortunatley the first batch taster like burny ginger sawdust and the second was even worse....so I gave thenm as a peace offering to a neighbour who had been giving out about my bully of a cat :pac:

Sticking to fat laden, sugary, chocolatty tasty cookies from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Mackerel caught by my son yesterday. barbequed and on the plate within an hour of being caught. Delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

jos28 wrote: »
    Mackerel caught by my son yesterday. barbequed and on the plate within an hour of being caught. Delicious.

this post makes me want to buy a kayak and some fishing line...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had a chicken casserole. Not really summer food but this isn't really a summer......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Roasted a couple of seabass stuffed with herbs from the gardens slices of lemon. Served with some roasted veg and very nice sauted spuds (threw in a little chilli which gave a nice kick)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

These boys are going on the BBQ later.....................Colemans mustard and Texas Dry Rub on top.......

Ribs!

P1000623.jpg

• Advertisement

Game over..............

P1000627.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

here what i just had was yummy!

5chhuf.jpg

Looks nice. Healthy also.

Planet X wrote: »
    Looks nice. Healthy also.

yeah man it was feckin lovely to eat i used a bit to much oliv oil but hey :)....
    you can see it on the cucumber on the left hand side of the picture...

:o

whats in the dry rub ? did you bake it and then Q it ? or Q it only ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Eddie Rockets today but I have 2 racks of ribs marinating in the fridge for tomorrow. I'm using this recipe. I also made Millionaire's Shortbread for later. \o/

janeybabe wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets today but I have 2 racks of ribs marinating in the fridge for tomorrow. I'm using this recipe. I also made Millionaire's Shortbread for later. \o/

il pay for postage if you send me over one looks ewwwwwwww mmmmmmm nice... :)

il pay for postage if you send me over one looks ewwwwwwww mmmmmmm nice... :)

Love to. Laziness prevents me from doing so though. Sorry. :D

yeah man it was feckin lovely to eat i used a bit to much oliv oil but hey :)....
    you can see it on the cucumber on the left hand side of the picture...

:o

whats in the dry rub ? did you bake it and then Q it ? or Q it only ?

Texas Dry rub. Basically, garlic powder, chilli, black pepper, cumin, paprika salt. Anything you fancy really but garlic powder, pepper, & sea salt are essential.

Straight on the Q.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Love to. Laziness prevents me from doing so though. Sorry. :D

I wonder could you get away with oyster sauce instead of fish :confused:

• Advertisement

I wonder could you get away with oyster sauce instead of fish :confused:

Oyster sauce is fairly different so I don't know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement