Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made a fish pie, to the letter from the hairy biker's recipe.

Combination of hake, smoked haddock (I used cod), prawns and salmon, poached in a fish stock broth flavoured with vermouth, fennel and other veg; then that broth is used to make parsley sauce to go over the layered, flaked fish. Top the lot with cheesie mashed potatoes and parmesan breadcrumbs and bake in the oven.

Bloody marvellous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Planet X wrote: »
    Straight on the Q.
    In. Straight in the Q.
    You put stuff straight on the grill. I mean, you can call a grill a barbecue over here allright, but "Q" is american slang for BBQ, which is nothing like a grill. And seems to be nearly a religion over there, like sushi in japan or pasta in italy...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's it. Straight on/in the Q. Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Spatchcocked a chicken and marinaded in a bbq sauce i had lying around for a while. Served with boiled new spuds and a mix of root veg. Twas grand but not special

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cajun chicken stir fry with pineapple. Later we made 2 loaves of brown bread and scones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we had a red onion and feta tart and a green salad. I got the idea from here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3216/red-onion-feta-and-olive-tart but left out the olives (yuck!) and changed the quantities a litte.

It was really good and even better, I have leftovers to take to work tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Just recovering from roast leg of lamb with roast spuds and celeric mash!

Normally do the lamb at 180C. I used to have a thermo for the oven I reckoned it was at least 10C over so for the crack tonight I dropped the temp down to 150C (for the same cook time) and it worked a treat. End result was the well side of medium but perfectly moist nonetheless.

Celeric mash went down very well. Simple as anything (boil with a spud or two) and then mash/season.

Now for digestion!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

None out of the jar spag bol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

janeybabe wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets today but I have 2 racks of ribs marinating in the fridge for tomorrow. I'm using this recipe. I also made Millionaire's Shortbread for later. \o/

Had these last night. (Pics here) They were tender and juicy and sticky. We had them with onion rings and beer. Neither of us spoke the entire time. It was fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

janeybabe wrote: »
    Had these last night. (Pics here) They were tender and juicy and sticky. We had them with onion rings and beer. Neither of us spoke the entire time. It was fabulous.

Oh I am so trying these at the weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

There's a nice dough and quick but tasty sauce recipe here. I've tried tomato sauces cooked for hours on pizza too, and prefer this one.

I followed this recipe tonight and it turned out brilliant, probably one of the best results i got from a pizza dough/sauce recipe. I made a few additions though to enhance the sauce. Thanks again ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Got home late last night so had goats cheese salad with those roasted red peppers you get in the Polish section in Spar. It was basically a rummage through thte fridge and fire it all in a bowl with some dressing.

Tonight will be some sort of salad as well. I note I eat far far too much cheese. Yesterday I had a slice of emmental betweens two slice s of toast for brekkie, cheese sammage for lunch and cheese salad for dinner. I ate 2 baby bels as snack during the day as well. Bones of steel :)

I didnt want to start a new thread for this question as Im more interested in hearing what the regular posters on this one have to say, but Im aware this isint a discussion thread as such. But I have to ask because Ive been matching posters to restaurants in my head so Id like to see if Im near the mark - but what is your favourite place to eat where you live?

Mine is Govindas. I eat there about 4 times a week for a number of reasons. I live alone so Im not bothereing to cook for one. I love their food. Im not sure its calorifically low, but its all veggies and homemade so its all good to me :) Its cheap and you can just roll in any old how and noone bats an eyelid. I like ts all there and you just tell them what you want. It ticks most of my boxes for everyday food.

What about ye? (if the mods allow) :)

Ill take out the bold after a while, its an addition to the org post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast leg of lamb with a dry rub of Moroccan spices, baked aubergines with hazelnuts, feta and dried cranberries, dressed with an oil/lemon juice dressing with chilli, garlic and fresh mint. I also made a salad of red grapes, fried haloumi, black olives and grilled sweetcorn with some shredded mint. Khobz and homous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Last night for dinner I ended up in Eddie Rockets, where I had a classic and a half and half. :)

Thats my fave plain clasic,half and half and garlic sauce.Their buffalo wings are amazing too!!

But last night I had vol-au-vonts with chicken in a white wine, mushroom and garlic sauce with chips-yum,yum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dolorous wrote: »
    Oh I am so trying these at the weekend :D

I added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and a bit of sweet chili sauce to the sauce too.

Has noone eaten for 2 days? :eek:

Last night was Govindas on Abbey Street. I had th epaneer in tomatoy sauce, butter bean and carrot curry, rice and dahl. It was delicious as always. Had a curried chickpea salad for lunch. Im in danger of turning veggie at this rate. Re-education will commence tonight - starting with pork chops and peas and mash and mustard gravy.Onions fried after the chops in the pan as well. Heart cloggingly good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

last night - roast beef with potatos and veg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Deepsense wrote: »
    I didnt want to start a new thread for this question as Im more interested in hearing what the regular posters on this one have to say, but Im aware this isint a discussion thread as such. But I have to ask because Ive been matching posters to restaurants in my head so Id like to see if Im near the mark - but what is your favourite place to eat where you live?

You need a new thread for this - once it goes off the front page, no one will see it.

Don't eat out much - the occasional Nandos, or Tapas or Pizza - cheap and cheerful - and if I have enough beer, I hardly notice that the food is usually poor.

I gave up going out for an evening meal on a regular basis because the results were largely disappointing.

The best meals I've eaten have been in London - a two star michelin restaurant in Charlotte Street in Soho that burned down the night after we went. Also the restaurant at the top of the OXO tower.

Last nights dinner was a fish pie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Chicken curry made with free range chicken breasts. Never eaten free range chicken before - wow the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Deepsense wrote: »
    Has noone eaten for 2 days? :eek:

Yeah...but I didn't want to share ;)

Tonight, I fired up the grill for the first time in weeks (stupid bloody work and weather plotting against me, mutter bloody mutter). No...wait...thats not true...I fired up my other grill last weekend up in Zweisimmen...but I digress.

Tonight, we had our first corn of the season. We have an agreement that we'll only buy corn on the cob once it reaches Europe. We caved last year and bought when it was coming from Morocco, but it just wasn't tasty, so we're back to our "benchmark" of Spain.

Also had a rolled some-cut-or-other of veal...which was disappointing. Cooked to crispy on teh outside, pink in the middle, nice smoky flavour from the grill...I nailed it cooking-wise (which I was pleasantly surprised by). But the flavour of the meat was just....missing, really. I had "baby beef" off the grill in Zweisimmen at the weekend which I assume was also veal, and it was light-years better flavour-wise and still disappointing. Veal just doesn't have enough taste, I'm beginning to find. Thankfully, after buying it twice, Mrs. Bonkey is now of hte same opinion and has gotten the "want" out of her system, so we can leave it aside for another half-decade or so.

Anyway...corn on the cob, roast veal, new potatoes, and mozarella-sticks (the staple grill-side-order that Mrs. bonkey is addicted to). Oh, and a pair of cheesy-sausages, just in case we didn't have enough food ;)

ETA: Restaurant question...

Well, I live in Switzerland, so the Swiss restaurants I go to won't mean much to anyone. One in Biel does phenomenal Italian. One in Zweisimmen does fantastic steak (which I've just commented on in the steak thread).

Back in Ireland...I guess my all-time favourite restaurants would have to be Dobbins (if I'm in Dublin) and Blair's Cove (when I'm in west Cork).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Tonights dinner was roast chicken with mixed roast veg and some creamed spinach...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We had roasted quail and asparagus for dinner this evening.

Minder wrote: »
    You need a new thread for this - once it goes off the front page, no one will see it.

Don't eat out much - the occasional Nandos, or Tapas or Pizza - cheap and cheerful - and if I have enough beer, I hardly notice that the food is usually poor.

I gave up going out for an evening meal on a regular basis because the results were largely disappointing.

The best meals I've eaten have been in London - a two star michelin restaurant in Charlotte Street in Soho that burned down the night after we went. Also the restaurant at the top of the OXO tower.

Last nights dinner was a fish pie.
    Yah - youre right. thanks for answering though :) Ive been to te Oxo tower. Its brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

Right, Ill open up a thread. Please post in it guys - Ill love to hear all you foodis fav places. Im going to ask casual and smancy...and romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Ooooh... I'm after making black pudding potato cakes for lunch- yummy!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Wings on the Q........:pac::pac::pac:

P1000658.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Cooked a packet of pasta with mushroom and added chorizo it :)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/woolyjumper/DSC01617.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Just had tons of different salads and home made lemondade, then strawberries and cream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had 3 dinners yesterday. And all for free! I was working in a bar where they do carvery during the day so I got a chicken curry from that. And then a few hours later I got a BLT and chips in the same place. Then that night I was working at a hotel where there was a wedding on and during my break I got a huge place of seabass and veg that was served at the wedding, yummy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

last night was sausage rolls, was wrecked after work tonight is roast chicken with all the trimmings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Saturday night I cooked a leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, roast potatoes, diced carrot and turnip and green beans. Gravy and mint sauce. A huge pavlova for dessert :)
    Last night I made chicken curry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement