Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I had salmon cooked with chilli and lemon, leftover potato dauphinoise and a green salad. It was nice but a bit of a summery dish for this time of year. It's very cold here at the moment.

Tomorrow, more in keeping with the time of year I'm going to make a chorizo and chickpea spanish tomato soup I saw on a Rachel Allen programme tonight. It just looked so warming and comforting that I knew I had to make it for tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Saturday was cold beetroot soup with natrual yogurt and parsley pesto. Brilliant Summer dish and so healthy it negates the bottle of wine I floored that night.

Last night was bacon and mushroom risotto with rocket and parmesan. Delicious. Tonight is the same I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Deepsense wrote: »
    Last night was bacon and mushroom risotto with rocket and parmesan.

That sounds yummy - any chance of the recipe please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was baby potatoes sauteed with chorizo, butter bean salad & chicken marinated in yoghurt, with garlic bread. Tonight will be more of the same, as it was so nice!

That sounds yummy - any chance of the recipe please?
    Sure.

2 shallots
    pack of bacony bits
    sprig of thyme
    mix of mushroom - do try to include morel - they make the dish so amazing
    wine - 2 small glasses ish
    chicken stock - enough to bring up - say...have 3/4 of a pint handy
    parsley - chopped handful
    risotto rice - 3 good cups worth
    garlic
    rocket
    parmesan

Open a bottle of sav blanc and pour yourself a glass. Fry off some fine shallot and bacon and mushrooms and garlic - shallot first then bacon, then mushrooms then add garlic. Next in with the rice and a glass-ish of wine. Reduce. Sip wine while waiting.

Add chicken stock to bring to fully cooked stage and then add the rocket - you just need it wilted a bit. Add the parsley now as well. Shave parmesan on top when serving. Loads. It makes it I think.

Fav comfort food by far. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks Deepsense, I particularly appreciate the wine drinking instructions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was a side of (very good) farmed sea trout, lightly BBQd.
    With a dressing of lemon zest and juice, brazil nut oil, chives, a few garlic slivers, salt,a tiny bit of honey - pored over the fish.
    Served with tomato, onion and basil salsa, Thai fragrant rice and mixed salad leaves from the garden.
    With a really nice Alsace Reisling.
    All had in the garden.
    Followed by Tesco Greek style yoghurt with raspberries from the garden and homemade lemon curd.

Last night was a side of (very good) farmed sea trout, lightly BBQd.
    With a dressing of lemon zest and juice, brazil nut oil, chives, a few garlic slivers, salt,a tiny bit of honey - pored over the fish.
    Served with tomato, onion and basil salsa, Thai fragrant rice and mixed salad leaves from the garden.
    With a really nice Alsace Reisling.
    All had in the garden.
    Followed by Tesco Greek style yoghurt with raspberries from the garden and homemade lemon curd.

Sounds idyllic! I recently planted Little Gem lettuce and Spinach beet, they've germinated and I'm (im)patiently waiting for them to grow!

My first batch of oregano is dried and ready to use and I have to say, it's AMAZING. So aromatic and zingy. I call it Frankenplant because no matter how much of it I cut, the plant seems to be back to its massive, lush size within a few days.

I've also had great success this year with my rosemary, which looked to be on its last legs a few months back, mint and thyme.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sounds idyllic! I recently planted Little Gem lettuce and Spinach beet, they've germinated and I'm (im)patiently waiting for them to grow!

My first batch of oregano is dried and ready to use and I have to say, it's AMAZING. So aromatic and zingy. I call it Frankenplant because no matter how much of it I cut, the plant seems to be back to its massive, lush size within a few days.

I've also had great success this year with my rosemary, which looked to be on its last legs a few months back, mint and thyme.

Yeah, the oregano loves to be cut.

Currently we have:
    Thyme, Oregano, rosemary, chives, sweet marjoram,flat leaf parsley (gone to seed), bay leaf, mint.
    We also have some odd, spicy leaves - like having wassabi in your salad!!

I must try drying some oregano for my pizza sauce

I must try drying some oregano for my pizza sauce

Cut it mid-afternoon when the dew has evaporated. Tie it in bundles with elastic bands and hang upside down in a warm, dry spot (I do mine in the shed) until it's literally so dry you can crumble it between your fingers. Should take about a week, depending on where you hang it.

• Advertisement

Tonight the trusty gas BBQ is in action again.
    Lamb leg steaks.
    Aubergine.
    Cherry tomatoes.
    Sautéed potatoes (on the flat side of the BBQ).
    All done on the BBQ.

with some hummus and a rocket salad.

Mmm now to pick a wine!

Im raging!!

I ran about town after work to get the harissa - nowhere I went had it but found it eventually. Ran home all excited.

Got home and got all the ingredients that beer revlou suggested and one or two more of my own. Got it all togeather and hopped it into the over and went out for a while.

I was half wasy through my coffee about an hour later when I realised that I forgot to put the bloody neck of lamb in! I knew there was something, but woods and trees and blinded by!:(

Ho well. Now I have a fantastic lentil casserole.....but still have 2 necks of lamb to use. I dont want to make more lentil casserole as Ill be fed up of it.

Tonight is.....lentil casserole! Tomorrow is.....lentil casserole! To infinity....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Spicy sausage and tomato bake with pasta, sprinkled with parmesan, had it with toasted sourdough loaded with homemade garlic and herb butter.

Was reminiscent of my student days....

Tonight is beef jalfrezi with raita, onion and and tomato salad and naan.

Deepsense wrote: »
    Im raging!!

I ran about town after work to get the harissa - nowhere I went had it but found it eventually. Ran home all excited.

Got home and got all the ingredients that beer revlou suggested and one or two more of my own. Got it all togeather and hopped it into the over and went out for a while.

I was half wasy through my coffee about an hour later when I realised that I forgot to put the bloody neck of lamb in! I knew there was something, but woods and trees and blinded by!:(

Ho well. Now I have a fantastic lentil casserole.....but still have 2 necks of lamb to use. I dont want to make more lentil casserole as Ill be fed up of it.

Tonight is.....lentil casserole! Tomorrow is.....lentil casserole! To infinity....

:D:D:D:D

Its your fault for getting me all excited about the harissa :mad: If youd just said Irish stew, none of this would have happenned and I wouldnt have a freezer full of lentil stew!

Last night was wine and fags. I can confirm this is neither nutrionally sound nor a good idea on a Tuesday night. Tonight is carbonara and garlic bread. My hungover body is craving carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i dunno what to eat to night But i no one thing im thinking of doing something odd :D.... Im going to let my imagination and creativity loose,

Kitchens gonna be in a mess :(

Tonight is going to be fillets of john dory (maybe BBQd again),
    Boiled new potatoes.
    Salad leaves from the garden.

Oh, gotta make some dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Inspired by Spastafarian t'other day, I'm making patatas bravas with aioli tonight, and garlicky beef meatballs. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

just had a little bbq there, only made some burgers and ribs. i used this recipe for the ribs and it was very very nice (i ended up eating 75% of a sheet) and very easy to make. for the burgers i used this recipe, wasnt great imo, i dont know why i didnt just use my own recipe which is pretty nice.

Last night was Pan fried/oven finished duck breasts with a white wine and rhubarb and ginger reduction; cubed, pan fried potatoes; salad leaves (lots of rocket) from the garden with homemade vinaigrette and a bottle of Paulliac.

Simple, nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we had 10 people over for a mid-winter Christmas dinner.

We had a large chicken, a big glazed ham, dauphinoise potatoes, roast vegetables, stuffing and salad.

For dessert we had Christmas cake (that we never ate at actual Christmas), olive oil chocolate mousse, homemade mince pies and trifle.

and wine, lots and lots of wine includig a big pot of gluhwein. It all went down really well even if my head is a bit sore this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pizzas on the pizza stone in the oven, stir fry and soup the last few nights.

Have decided to buy a bread maker. Can't get the brand recommended by you lot over here, so have to stick with a sunbeam!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A friend had a couple of us round for a casual bbq last night. When preparing the burgers, she asked "will I put onions in them?". I said yes, but she decided not to. I asked her would I get her an egg and she looked at me blankly and said "An egg? Why would I use an egg?". So I said, to bind it, with breadcrumbs. She replied "Oh no, I just use the mince". Not even a hint of salt in them, just about half a pound of mince shaped into a burger and bbq'ed. It was the blandest thing I've ever tasted in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Faith wrote: »
    A friend had a couple of us round for a casual bbq last night. When preparing the burgers, she asked "will I put onions in them?". I said yes, but she decided not to. I asked her would I get her an egg and she looked at me blankly and said "An egg? Why would I use an egg?". So I said, to bind it, with breadcrumbs. She replied "Oh no, I just use the mince". Not even a hint of salt in them, just about half a pound of mince shaped into a burger and bbq'ed. It was the blandest thing I've ever tasted in my life!

thank God for ketchup and mustard..would you not tell her truth:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rocknchef wrote: »
    thank God for ketchup and mustard..would you not tell her truth:eek:

I tried to, subtly, by saying "Oh burgers are amazing if you season them beforehand with salt, pepper, garlic, onions...". I'll just make them next time!

My kitchen is like a bomb hit it at the moment due to new units being fitted. I refuse to cook in it when it's like this, so it's been take aways/eating out for us since Thursday. I am DYING to cook something! It'll be chorizo & puy lentil casserole whenever it finally does get finished.

Can't face the thought of eating out again tonight so I think we'll just BBQ. I'll lhave to buy everything from the burgers to the salad ready-made, but it's still preferable to yet another take away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looks like it will be some sort of roast goose effort tonight. Apart from that, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Last night we had leftover turkey, ham and cous cous.

Last night it was roast round of beef, super buttery mash, roasties, baby carrots and peas and gravy. The whole thing for 4 cost under €12. I was well impressed. The reason it was so cheap was that we went to Supervalu at about 3 and the meat was all half price so the roast was €4 odd, spuds €4, veg €2 and Bisto was €1.79 (yes yes, I used Bisto with the beef juices……and it was Mmmmm)

Ression bargains ftw. :)

Tonight is pasta and Jamie Olivers tomato and olive sauce - best jarred sauce I ever tasted. Ill throw in some cherry tomatoes of my own but its so tasty you dont even need parmesan.

Im having black pepper issues lately. Im sick to the back teeth (hah) of it being thrown into bloody everything cooked. There are other peppers out there more suitable for what youre cooking. Why not try: Spuds = white pepper! Mozzerella = black pepper! Pork chops = pink pepper!

Honestly, the overkill on black is driving me nuts. :mad:

Am I the only person who would rather lick O'Connell St. clean than eat a roast dinner with all the trimmings in this weather??? I just don't get it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I agree with you there, but yesterday we had roast pork steak with all the trimmings while we watched the rain pour down here in Cork. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement