Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

It wasn’t difficult to eat at all! We hadn’t had a roast in aaaages and as it was only a small joint, it wasn’t a case of slaving over the cooker for hours. No Yorkshires were involved and the veg was pre packed frozen so again, no effort involved. Lazy roast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Patch09'

I had lasagne and spuds.............yummy!!!!!:D
    so simple yet so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I had roast loin of venison (from Downpatrick) with new potatoes from Co. Down and broccoli from ? I made soup with chicken carcass stock, leeks, celeriac, onion and garlic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tonight shall be a steak (cooked properly with rocket-hot cast iron and so on), and canarian potatoes with mojo verde.
    So there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chili!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tonight we're having pan-fried, butterflied chicken breasts, served with twice baked potatoes containing cheese and mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

I had chicken drumsticks marinated since lunchtime in my own cajuny inspired marinade. Baked in oven for ages and serve with corn on the cob (hadn't had corn on the cob in years and just realised how hard it is to eat it politely!) and salad of gem lettuce/ rocket /sundried tomato/ spring onion/ dijon/ balsamic/ oliveoil/ topped with buckets of parmesean yum yum.

lunch was even better with one of my "special" sandwiches.. with only the best ingredients - am so on a mission :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Linguine with sausage ragu. Chopped up some pork sausages and fried with a little diced fennel, garlic, some fennel seed and dried chilli before adding a lug of red wine and a can of whizzed tomatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday I did T-bones on the BBQ. Served with beetroot, goats' cheese & rocket salad with a homemade olive oil, balsamic, lemon & mustard dressing. Also had a little (actually a big bowlful) cucumber & scallion salsa with vinegar & white pepper on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

making meat balls in tomato sauce and spagettii for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Trying to keep meals simple at the moment.

So Quinoa, vegetarian mince, sweet corn and a pint of water.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We'll be having loin of bacon with my really good mustard glaze, mashed potatoes and carrots. Simple but delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight, we had rabbit with a bbq glaze. Because the stupid weather didn't play ball, I had to do it in the oven.

New potatoes and a salad went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

BBQ'd some chicken, onion and pepper skewers, marinaded in Reggae Reggae sauce (quite tasty) and served with couscous, pitta bread and tzatziki

Last night was a Govindas on the way home. I had paneer and curried veg gratin. Was delicious. Tonight I having an omlette ala leftovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

duck breast and wok veg crispy rice noodle's and, hoisin sauce.... :D to night nothing facny fresh carbinara :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Last night had dinner at One Pico..we decided to spoil ourselves...Foie Gras parfait with pear puree &toasted Brioche followed by pan fried cod with mash peas and vermouth...with a glass of prosecco and abottle of sauv blanc....

tonight, back to reality...homemade vegetarian quiche and some salad...

Pork vindaloo - despite a large amount of fresh green chilli in the paste, it was definitely lacking in heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minder wrote: »
    Pork vindaloo - despite a large amount of fresh green chilli in the paste, it was definitely lacking in heat.
    FWIW - On occasions when a curry isn't meeting my heat requirements towards the end of cooking I do one of the following:

Add ground white pepper - this is purely a quick & nasty 'heat-booster' when you wouldn't have enough time left to cook-out ground chilli.

If it suits the curry in question, you could add smoked ground chilli. This works OK as a late addition as it doesn't need to be cooked-out.

A good dollop of grated ginger towards then end of cooking boosts the overall spiceyness.

What sort of chillis were in your paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Lobster with lemon butter . .im still drooling

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    FWIW - On occasions when a curry isn't meeting my heat requirements towards the end of cooking I do one of the following:

Add ground white pepper - this is purely a quick & nasty 'heat-booster' when you wouldn't have enough time left to cook-out ground chilli.

If it suits the curry in question, you could add smoked ground chilli. This works OK as a late addition as it doesn't need to be cooked-out.

A good dollop of grated ginger towards then end of cooking boosts the overall spiceyness.

What sort of chillis were in your paste?

Dutch Green chilli - three of them, deseeded. Also a tsp of smoked paprika and a tsp of ground black pepper, amongst other things.

Pork chop, fried onion, mash and peas and gravy tonight.

Starting the puff pastry for a tomato tatin for sunday. I have 10 people for lunch - 2 of which are vegetarian. The est of us will be having roast rolled rib of beef, mash, roasties, carrot and parsnip mix mash, stuffing, yorkies (theyll be filled with the stuffing) and homemade gravy. Im going to do a steamed puddin for dessert - probably orange and just have vanilla i/c and cream with it. Maybe a bit of curd if Im feeling energetic.

THe guests are staying all day so in the evening its toasted sarnies of the leftovers - delicious! - and homemade coffee cake.

Insert 4 bottles of wine randomly and we have a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote: »
    Dutch Green chilli - three of them, deseeded. Also a tsp of smoked paprika and a tsp of ground black pepper, amongst other things.

Were they chilis you grew yourself?

If they were, you need to abuse your plants more. Keeping chili plants slightly underwatered and going for occasional big soakings is better than keeping them green and lush, because a distressed plant puts more potency into its fruit and you get hotter chilis.

If they were, you need to abuse your plants more. Keeping chili plants slightly underwatered and going for occasional big soakings is better than keeping them green and lush, because a distressed plant puts more potency into its fruit and you get hotter chilis.

Good tip - but no, I didn't grow them - just a shop bought variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

Jaysis majd, why couldn't you have posted that yesterday, before the Dublin Deluge. My poor chilis are probably drowned now, and nothing but long tomatoes. :(

Chillis are the veal of the plant world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

daosulli wrote: »
    Lobster with lemon butter . .im still drooling

me too, i threw in some garlic for good measure. caught them myself only a few hours before. had a crab claw sandwich for brekkie this morn, they were cooked with the lobster in the butter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Last night I had Cottage Pie - I am a useless cook who has dreams and aspirations of being a great one... but all to no avail... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

Last night I had fillet of salmon - baked in an oven dish with a drop of wine, courgettes, spring onion and creme fraiche.
    Served with stozzapreti pasta with some olives and rocket thrown in. Still sated - it was delish :)

Tonight is hopefully ratatouille, pork chops (don't know how I'll do them yet) and basamati rice as it's the only rice I have in the press :)
    I'm somehow going to include garlic in a big way because I'm alone tonight so will get away with it :D!!

The wine is chilling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tartiflette. An easy dish to make and absolutely delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement