Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was ray wings cooked on the gas BBQ, steamed Irish new potatoes and salad leaves from the garden with homemade dressing.
    Bottle of Alsace Riesling.
    Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was chorizo & chickpea stew served on toasted, garlic-rubbed ciabatta, which I ate very little of because I've been feeling rather Moby Dick since Thursday.

Tonight, I'm going for pure stodge in the form of chipper chips, in an attempt to settle my dodgy tum. I find carbs are always great if I'm feeling a bit nauseous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yesterday we met friends in town for Yum Char and I ate a ludicrous amount of food - including 4 spring rolls and 3 coconut buns. :o

For dinner (which we had very late after the yum char) I made a beef and guinness stew with mashed potato and vegetables. Lovely, wintery, comforting food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jerk chicken with jollof rice and a green salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

I had homemade fresh cod and chips and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night started with
    a homemade Margharita pizza, shared over Sparkilng wine with elderflower cordial followed by

slow cooked duck legs, crisped up in hot oven with rhubarb and ginger jam, soy, dry sherry, garlic and star anise, sprinkled with spring onion and coriander, served with choi sam greens and Japanese rice.

Gooseberry (and yet again rhubarb and ginger jam) crumble

Aussie Pinot.

I almost never do three courses!! (the Mrs did the crumble) Stuffed!!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tonight, I'm going for pure stodge in the form of chipper chips, in an attempt to settle my dodgy tum. I find carbs are always great if I'm feeling a bit nauseous.

Bloody chipper was closed when Mr. Honeyec went down! At 9pm!!! One was not amused. Ended up just throwing wedges and chicken nuggets in the oven.

Tonight we're having chicken breasts stuffed with feta & basil, baked in a tomato, pepper & onion sauce, into which I'll stir a big dollop of ricotta towards the end.

Aldi have FAB par-baked Tuscan sourdough loaves at the mo, so we'll have one of these with the chicken & sauce. Yum!

Tandoori chicken on the bbq, home made samosa stuffed with potato, peas and onion; aubergine curry and plain rice; raita and a selection of chutneys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Had 10 people round for lunch yester . Made a roast So...roast beef, stuffing (my own sage, thyme and rosemary - have a bumper crop this year if anyone wants to help themselves - based in D9), parsnip and carrot crush, cauliflower cheese, mash, roasties and homemade gravy.

HAd 2 vegetarians so made a tomato tatin - it looked amazing. Its my pull out of the hat dish for visiting veggies.

Dessert was steamed apple and blackberry puddin with custard and vanilla i/c.

Nobody moved for about an hour. I wont be eating till Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Was in Navan yesterday so stopped at a little italian at the top of Flower Hill called Piccolla Roma . Myself and the OH had Bruchetta & Croisni topped with mushrooms for starters, carbonara and Rigatoni alla Romano for mains and 2 glasses - absolutely lovely!!
    Tonight - Beef Stirfry with noodles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

last night was makky d's and coffee (was driving). But ate out for lunch and that was lovely - ceaser salad to start, turkey, ham and stuffing with all the trimmings followed by banoffie. Was perfect for a Sunday.

Tonight is undecided so am going to read all of your posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was roast beef (seasoned the daylights out of it) due to the rain! New season spuds were boiled and I fried up some mushrooms in lemon and butter. All in all quite nice and washed down with a fair whack of Oz Shirz/Cab Sav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

didnt get having my stir fry as planned last night due to an unexpected trip to the pub.... eateries consisted of chips and chicken gougons when we got home.

Hopefully have the stir fry tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Indian takeaway last night (chicken jalfrezi and lamb byriani with raita and naan between two of us).

Tonight for starters I'm doing goats cheese and beetroot salad as I got some lovely fresh beetroot at a market, will serve with toasted walnuts. Mains is roast rib of beef with roast potatoes, carrots, mushy peas and beetroot leaves sweated with some butter and nutmeg (apparently they taste like spinach leaves - will soon find out).

For dessert I made orange catalonian creme brulee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just stuffed myself with colcannon and cumberland sausages :D

Last night started with
    a homemade Margharita pizza, shared over Sparkilng wine with elderflower cordial followed by

slow cooked duck legs, crisped up in hot oven with rhubarb and ginger jam, soy, dry sherry, garlic and star anise, sprinkled with spring onion and coriander, served with choi sam greens and Japanese rice.

Gooseberry (and yet again rhubarb and ginger jam) crumble

Aussie Pinot.

I almost never do three courses!! (the Mrs did the crumble) Stuffed!!

Are you King of somewhere and not telling us? You have amazing meals. Im going start need proof of these gastronomic extravaganzas!

Last night was yet more left over roast from Sunday. Sliced beef on te bottom of a dish, covered with the last of the gravy, blobbed on parsnip and carrot puree, sprinkeled stuffing on top and stuck the roasties on top. Oven for half hour till pots crispy and beef piping. Mash along with.

I need to go on a diet. :(

Last night was Burrito Pie leftover from Monday. Love, love, LOVE that dish.

Home made chinese beef curry with onions and peas, boiled jasmine rice and a disappointing effort at home made spring rolls.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night was Burrito Pie leftover from Monday. Love, love, LOVE that dish.
    Buritto? Pie?

I just google imaged...wow! That looks delicious! A nice change from lasagne.

Last night was coffee and biscotti in the city center (Dublin), then an Innocent smoothie - apple & kiwi & something else I cant rem. Was delicious. Gonna take it easy on the dinners for a while. Salad city for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

I've just had Erin Mushroom Risotto from Supervalue at €1.75.
    It was really quite delicious, with Parmesan on top.
    I don't feel like cooking in warm weather!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Super Qs roasted chilli and lime chicken breasts with the mans rissotto! Tasty good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I made burgers today; mince, chopped red onion, red chili, chili powder, soy sauce, pepper, a little wheat germ and an egg. They turned out awesome! I only ended up with six though which isn't much for a kilo of mince.... :D

Home made Singapore noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Minder wrote: »
    Home made Singapore noodles.

Can I have your recipe please?

Haven't got a recipe as such - I add a collection of ingredients to the wok depending on whats in the fridge. Last nights effort was...

1 Packet of glass noodles
    Four boneless chicken thighs cut into thin strips
    Two carrots cut into batons
    Four spring onions shredded
    A thumb sized piece of ginger cut into batons
    A couple of cloves of garlic
    A packet of bean shoots
    About 100g shiitake mushrooms sliced
    About 200g of prawns
    Two tablespoons of curry powder - I use a carribbean curry powder as it's high in tumeric and gives a bright yellow colour.

I use glass noodles - made from mung bean starch. They come dried and are soaked in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Once soft enough to eat, I refresh in cold water. I found that just draining the noodles before adding to the wok leaves them too wet - as the water turns to steam, they stick together. So I dry them on a clean tea towel. Last night for the first time, I also nuked them for 3 minutes before adding them to the wok.

Fry the chicken in a wok, add the garlic and ginger for a minute or two before adding the other veg (except the bean shoots). Cook for a few minutes then add the curry powder and the prawns. I add a splash of light soy here to wet it a little.

Once the meat & veg is cooked I scald the beanshoots and add them with the glass noodles. Mix the whole lot through to coat the noodles with the curry flavours. That's it. A squeeze of lime and a handful of fresh coriander and serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Last night was roast chicken, stuffed, with mashed potato and roasted carrot, parsnip and squash, with a side of corn and marrowfat peas. Chicken worked out well, which is nice considering it's taking me a while to get the hang of my oven with roasts.

Roast fillet of beef, braised cabbage, pan fried mushrooms, horseradish mash, all with a beef stock and red wine jus. John Campbells recipe from Saturday Kitchen - a winner every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I bought a double rib of beef on the bone the other day. Going to roast it this week. Will be hit or miss with my oven. Next house, going for 1000mm cook top and dual ovens instead of range cooker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement