Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I bought a double rib of beef on the bone the other day. Going to roast it this week. Will be hit or miss with my oven. Next house, going for 1000mm cook top and dual ovens instead of range cooker.

Oven temperature not reliable? Get one of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yesterday we had home made burgers with red onion marmalade and chilli jam, oven chips and a salad of spinach, chickpeas, sweetcorn, mixed beans and feta.

Tonight we had beef stew done in the slow cooker with mashed potatoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Saturday was roast chicken with spuds and hammy brussel sprouts. It was corn fed so very tasty.

Yesterday was chicken and leek and mushroom pie. Downright marvellous it was. All the meat leftover from the chick and stock for the veloute made from the bones. Pate brise was the crust top and bottom. I herbed the sauce up with fresh thyme when sauteing the finely chopped onion, sliced leek and quartered mushrooms before adding the chicken and oregano to finish when the sauce was thikening.

Its my favourite dinner. Served with mash and peas and gravy. Tonight is chicken kiev.

Last night I made a fish tagine with hake and potatoes. Also had bbq'ed fresh sardines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Spaghetti with prawns, mangetouts and a cream sauce... probably not the healthiest, but bloody yummy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Linguine with a homemade three cheese sauce, pancetta and wilted rocket leaves (and a nice chilled glass of white - yum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

This thread makes me quite hungry. Last night I slow-fried some pork chops along with a lot of garlic, onions, mushroom and rosemary, with plenty of pepper. I also made some roasted oven chips from baby potatoes, drizzled in olive oil and covered in rosemary and garlic.

I was well proud if it to be honest, as I'm not even a fan of pork.

Tonight, we're looking at leek and sausage hash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Last night we had sea bass fillet baked in parcels with prawns, ginger, lemon, chilli, soy and fish sauce with creamy mash, sugarsnap peas and green beans. I loved it. OH didn't- said fish was too lemony, veg were too crunchy and that he doesn't like mash anyway. So I ate his leftovers too :D

Last night we had a paella of prawns, piquillo peppers and artichokes, some crispy chicken wings and a reasonable attempt at gambas pil pil.

Im raging! :mad::mad::mad:

I took the kievs out of the oven and left them on the side as the door bell rang. It was my dotty old neighbour who talks for ages repeating the same things he said last time cos hes so old he doesnt remember.

Fast forward 20 mins and the friggin cat is sitting on the counter looking very pleased with hmself ripping into the chicken. I lifted him with such a roar my housemate came barrelling down the stairs. the cheeky baxtard took a big lump of the booty and legged it out the window.

Fugger.

So last night was mash and peas and gravy.

Tonight is stir fried cat prawns with noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Home made Greek Pastitio (my mom's recipe) with a fresh salad & fruit salad with yoghurt for pudding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Leek and potato hash with sausage, mixed in with a dollop of horseradish sauce.

I bought the BBC Good Food 101 one-pot wonders book a while back and it's making for interesting edibles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Deepsense wrote: »

I took the kievs out of the oven and left them on the side as the door bell rang.

Funny story.

Had you made the Kievs yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Last night was gut grenade hamburgers (take a pound of mince, put it in parchment or wax paper in a half-sheet pan, roll out until it fills that pan, season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, fold over using the paper, tidy up the edges, cut to rectangular patties with a pizza cutter, fry for 2 minutes to a side. Eat all of them :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Last night I had the oddest combination of food for dinner.
    I fried some onions and left over veg in a frying pan and put in two beaten eggs - I was going to make a sort of scrambled omelette. Then I noticed I had some leftover tuna in sunflower oil and threw that in. And then threw in some left over mozzarella cheese. Served it with cous cous. Very strange indeed but it worked all the same. Tuna and eggs - its seems wrong doesn't it.

Des wrote: »
    Funny story.

Had you made the Kievs yourself?
    its just another incident in a litany of wrongs that cat has wrought. Amusing now but not when youre ravenous and looking forward to your favourite dinner! I hd a thread about him in the pets section before. Hes been named as a local nusiance by the res comm due to all his antics.

Yah. I make about 20 at one time and freeze them off. themadchef gave me 40 chicken fillets a few weeks ago so Ive had a freezer full of chicken kievs, stirfry marinaded and various other methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Deepsense wrote: »

I took the kievs out of the oven and left them on the side as the door bell rang. It was my dotty old neighbour who talks for ages repeating the same things he said last time cos hes so old he doesnt remember.

Fast forward 20 mins and the friggin cat is sitting on the counter looking very pleased with hmself ripping into the chicken. I lifted him with such a roar my housemate came barrelling down the stairs. the cheeky baxtard took a big lump of the booty and legged it out the window.

Fugger.

So last night was mash and peas and gravy.

Tonight is stir fried cat prawns with noodles.

Man, cats make me laugh so much. Whenever something like that happens I imagine them sticking their paws in the air and saying f**k you! Our cat is a forager, not a hunter. He likes to find human food for himself. If you give it to him, he doesn't want it - he likes to find it!

Tonight we had peppered steak, potato puree (naughty) and a salad of rocket and parmesan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I made meatloaf for the first time for dinner tonight.

1lb minced beef
    Meat of 6 chicken sausages
    1 egg, beaten
    2 onions, minced
    1 green pepper, minced
    100g mushrooms, minced
    2 tsp dried parmesan cheese
    2 tsp ketchup
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp hot chilli powder
    Salt and lots of black pepper

I lined the bottom of a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, mixed all of the ingredients well, and packed the tin with the mixture, smoothing the top with a spatula. Baked at 180 for 80 minutes.

Served with boiled baby new potatoes, steamed carrots and broccoli and pepper sauce. It was really good!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade brown bread with Marie Rose sauce, sliced avocado and crab meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Beef bourguignon

• Advertisement

Had lots of kitchen time yesterday so did an Indian feast. Tandoori chicken; aubergine curry; tarka dahl; onion bhaji; raita; rice with caramelised onions, almonds and sultanas; poppadums, chutneys and a salsa of red onion, beetroot and tomato with fresh coriander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I cooked chicken jalfrezi with the recipe on yesterday morning's Something For The Weekend. It was delicious, with basmati rice and naan bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Bangers and mash.
    Delicious :D

Saturday was roast ham with mash, turnip, fried onions and parsley sauce. Chocolate fudge cake and custard for pudding.

Yesterday we had medalions of pork with a sour cream, mustard, mushroom and whiskey sauce, mash and garden peas. Dessert was 2 choc orange biscuits.

Tonight is same as yesterday as mash has to be eaten by tomorrow. I make a big pot of it on Saturdays and that does till tuesday so then its pasta and rice till I make it again. Am going to try Neuro Praxis meatloaf this weekend I think. Sounds delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was truly appalling pizza in my local pub. Tonight was real spaghetti alla carbonara - no cream! I'd forgotten to take chicken out of the freezer and that's my fallback "Oh shít, what the hell am I going to make" dish. Well, that and pasta with balsamic roasted tomatoes (divine!) but I'd no fresh tomatoes either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just had my homemade veg soup. i chucked in a bit of wholegrain mustard in for the craic while making it, and it made a great addition, lack of crusty bread sucks though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Beef madras and fragrant basmati. Hot.

Last night was the rest of the pork and mash and peas.

Its such a horrible day that I know by the time I get home I wont be in tthe form for anything that takes longer than 20 mins to prep so I think its going to be spag carbonara. I walked out he door without my wallet today and left the sarnies in the fridge so by the time I get home Ill be gunning for the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Had a chicken, ham, potatoe cheesey sauce bake thing!

tonight ill have eh.. chicken and maybe some salad and homemade spicy wedges i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Baby potatoes, boiled, halved.

Bacon lardons and mushrooms, fried.

Potatoes put in pan with lardons and mushrooms.

A tablespoon of creme fraiche mixed in.

Served and sprinkled with grated emmental.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement