Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

dh0661 wrote: »
    As in Coca Cola ? :confused:

Yes, inspired by one of Nigella's recipes from How To Eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Tonight I had sh*t spaghetti that I made myself in a rush. It was horrible.

BUT yesterday was great. I cooked mussels and homemade chips for myself and my brother, really nice. I bloody love mussels. And then at work later that night the head chef gave me some barramundi/Vietnamese seasbass and sticky toffee pudding, yummy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

goats cheese and apple puree

pea and asparagus risotto

cappuccino creme brulee

divine all of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Cooked for the folks this evening.

Chorizo, potato and tomato fritatta with rocket/cherry tomato salad and lemon olive oil.

Stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I made cauliflower cheese, frozen potato croquettes and meatballs. We're moving house on Friday and I'm trying to cook the contents of the freezer so we don't have to move the food with us.

For tomorrow, I've taken out some tortilla wraps and mince and I'm going to whip up some kind of mince fajitas things.

There's a lot of meat in the freezer and I'd like to get through as much as possible so this week will be a meaty week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Last night was proper 'end of the week; use up what's left' dinner so had butternut squash and red pepper soup, and then a kind of a casserole thing with turkey, chorizo, potatoes, green beans and onions oven cooked in tinned tomatoes and some veg stock. Yummy. Mocha chocolate banana muffin for dessert...also needed to use up some browning bananas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

last night i had lasanga and homemade spicy wedges. today was lazy and got special fried rice from the chinese :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

made a burger from some left over steak mince.

added salt, pepper, tomato puree, wholegrain mustard, tobasco and worchesterhire sauce to the mince and mixed it all up.

served with mash, peas and gravy with fried onion and garlic in it.

best burger in a long time

Had turkey curry with veg and rice tonight. blah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pork chop, beans, mash and roasted onion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This, and it was lovely. I swapped out half the courgettes for butternutsquash though because I was low on courgette and I wouldn't do that again because it turned out a small bit too sweet for my taste. Next time will just stick with the lovely recipe

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440384

had mince with homemade enchilada sauce, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, sour cream all over nachos!

YUMMY!!!!!! :P

I made turkey burgers, and added lots of garlic, onions, herbs and spices in an attempt to improve on the blandness that sometimes comes with turkey.

I went to the gym 90 mins after dinner, only to have that damn burger repeat on me every 30 seconds while I was trying to run.

Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just whipped up a bit of chilli there tonight, I'd like some comments on my recipe.

pound of mince, browned.
    large onion and two cloves of garlic sweated off
    four beef tomatos de-skinned and blended into a sauce
    tomato puree
    some red pepper (about 3/4s of one, the rest went for a sandwich)
    two chillis chopped up fine
    another chilli cut into small rings, seeds included
    salt/pepper
    worcester sauce
    an oxo
    some water
    one square of 70% chocolate

this is sitting in a pot on the cooker, waiting to be eaten tomorrow, and some frozen for later consumption.

I had kebabs tonight for dinner, the lidl kebab meat in pita breads with tomato, spinach, pepper, mayo and garlic from a garlic mill, with sweet chilli sauce. They were delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The single best tip for good chilli in Dublin (in my humble opinion) is to go to Fallon and Byrnes, and in the mexican section (it's at the far end from the door, just around the corner from the bread, on one of those small shelf units) get a tin of Chipotle chillis in Adobo sauce. When frying off the mince, add about a level tablespoon of this per half-pound of mince.

(And heck, if you're in F&B, grab some fresh jalapenos as well :D But if you get only one thing, get the chipotles in adobo).

89633.jpg

There are lots of other good things you can do, like using chunks of round steak instead of mince and cooking in a slow cooker, but the adobo is the best single thing in my cost/benefit analysis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spaghetti with chilli, garlic, tuna and parsley in a lemon & olive oil dressing. Cheap & cheerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Whatever was in the fridge (leftovers) fried up with some nice Korma sauce on top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I know. It's the lazy way out but it was delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Des wrote: »
    Just whipped up a bit of chilli there tonight, I'd like some comments on my recipe.

pound of mince, browned.
    large onion and two cloves of garlic sweated off
    four beef tomatos de-skinned and blended into a sauce
    tomato puree
    some red pepper (about 3/4s of one, the rest went for a sandwich)
    two chillis chopped up fine
    another chilli cut into small rings, seeds included
    salt/pepper
    worcester sauce
    an oxo
    some water
    one square of 70% chocolate

this is sitting in a pot on the cooker, waiting to be eaten tomorrow, and some frozen for later consumption.

Oh ya fecker! I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow night! Chili!!

Sounds like a similar recipe to what i would throw together myself (except the chocolate! but that will be going in tomorrow!) , although i always put in some kidney beans and dump in a good dolop of tobasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gucci wrote: »
    Oh ya fecker! I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow night! Chili!!
    I'm having it tonight :)
    gucci wrote: »
    Sounds like a similar recipe to what i would throw together myself (except the chocolate! but that will be going in tomorrow!) , although i always put in some kidney beans and dump in a good dolop of tobasco.

Heh, there are kidney beans in mine too, I left them out there by mistake :o

Turned out I don't think it needs tabasco though, I haven't used the chilli seeds before, but they seem to have added a nice bit of heat, I'll know later on though.

Be careful when you are adding your chocolate that you don't add too much, it can make it quite stodgy and turn it very chocolatey, from which there is no return.

Add a bit at a time, and only use a very small amount.

• Advertisement

having a salmon fillet, cream cheese, mushrooms, pasta all mixed together with a sprinkle of chilli powder! sounds horrible, but try it!!

My husband just bought Jamie Oliver's ministry of food in the hope of teaching himself how to cook, wahoo! :) Tonight he's making us chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto, with asparagus, carrots and I think couscous.

had birdseye crispy chicken breast, homemade wedges, veg and birra curry sauce...... yeah im not as fancy as you lot lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Continuing the trend of eating only fresh food, tonight i'm going to have;

Chicken with dry cajun spice, baked
    Steamed brocolli and brocollini shoots,
    Roast "carrot" wedges (I don't eat potato) with balsamic roast onion

Never made the carrot things, its a it of an exp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made burritos last night - chili, guacamole, refried beans, cheese, tortilla wrap. Tonight is leftover chili with rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have a fridge full of bits and pieces after an eventful couple of weeks. Trying to use stuff up before visiting the shops again. So last night we had a dish of baked aubergines scattered with roast hazelnuts, feta, dried cherries dressed with a garlic, chilli and lemon, oil emulsion.

Also had a salad of figs with green beans, feta and roast parsnips with a saba dressing.

For carbs I had a spicy sausage and fennel tortellini (Small portion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was slow roast pork hocks with Calvados, mustard mash, wilted kale from the garden with a bottle of Normandy cider.
    The skin came up as lovely crackling and the calvados gravy was yumm.
    Ultimate comfort food!!:D

Cheap too. The two hocks would serve four people and cost €1.50 each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

lidl pizza with some chicken and sweet corn thrown on top, not in a cooking mood at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Home-made naan and the leftover chicken saag and a glass of budvar.
    Scrummy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

Had a friend over so Roasted some chicken legs sprinkled chopped chives, peas and carrots, Mash patatoes with spring onions butter and salt and good old gravy, im starving now thinking about it:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement