Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Just had homemade enchilada sauce, turkey mince, peppers, mushrooms, onion, all thrown together in a wrap with some sour cream and homemade wedges! nomnomnooooom!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Making slow roasted beef this evening. Takes awhile but it is so worth it, it comes out medium rare the whole way through. Needs a meat thermometer, which I have nicked from my parents for the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had a curious mixture of lamb chops, grilled; egg fried rice (home made, last night's cold rice) and sweetcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've gone completely over the top for tomorrows lunch!

We'll be having:
    Oxtail consommé with beetroot, caper and gherkin won ton.
    Beetroot and orange risotto.
    Lemon and thyme roast chicken with roast garlic, crusty bread and salad leaves (from the garden) with oven semi dried tomatoes (from the garden)and pinenuts.
    White chocolate and passion fruit mousse.
    Don't know what the cheese will be as someone is bringing that tomorrow.

Been cooking all feckin day but done now:D
    Hope it'll be worth all the effort!

I have a bottle of 1988 Chateneuf du Pape to go with the consommé - better not be past it!!

had prawns, brown rice, sweetcorn,peas,peppers,carrots,mushrooms,onions all thrown into the wok with sesame seed oil, chilli powder, garlic powder then a dash of soy and hot sauce. yummy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just had homemade enchilada sauce, turkey mince, peppers, mushrooms, onion, all thrown together in a wrap with some sour cream and homemade wedges! nomnomnooooom!

How do you make your enchilada sauce?

2tsp chilli powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    tomato puree (as much as you want/need)
    dash of hot sauce
    water (as much as you want, depending on how watery/thick you want it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Lovely family lunch today--rich beef stew, roast potatoes, cheese, chocolate and banana bread and butter pudding. Yums!

Trying to drag summer in by the balls tbh, so turned up the heating and had home made pizzas, with tomato, basil, mozzarella and avocado salad with fresh crusty sourdough slices with good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic for dipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Moved flats on Friday so needed to test the oven tonight. Made a roast chicken, potato dauphinoise, roast kumara, silverbeet and made homemade soda bread. Lets just say new flat 1 old flat -1 million. I heart the new oven!

Our new place also has an in-built brick barbeque. I'm looking forward to finding out how that works and trying new things on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Home made burgers Friday and Saturday

Mince, flour, dijon mustard, basil, oregano, ketchup and a bit of cayenne chilli pepper.

Mince, flour, herbes de provance, thyme, ketchup, cayenne chilli pepper and bread crumbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Can I just say, from someone who has hated these blighters all my life, my opinion has changed today. For 25 years I have had them served to me overcooked, mushy, and stinking of sulphur, yesterday I got 2 stalks worth of sprouts on the market. I steamed them for 8 mins and they were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

This evening i had some fahitas...quick and easy...but i miss my oven :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Some fresh pasta and pesto this evening. pasta not made by me, I should add. Quick and easy after a weekend of hosting dinner and lunch parties!

Beef stir-fry made with bok choi, scallions, beansprouts, carrots, beans, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauce and noodles. Yum, easy Monday night dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tandoori whole shoulder of lamb; rice with puy lentils and caramelised onions and sultanas; roast beetroot with spices; salad of tomato, cucumber and avocado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

a schartz hit chillie con carnie packet with mince and all the oother bits and extra freash chillies Im sweating.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Last night:
    Chicken thighs marinated overnight in yoghurt with chilli powder, garlic, chopped fresh ginger, freshly ground cardomom seeds, tumeric, garam masala, freshly ground fennel seeds, freshly ground coriander seeds, cumin, salt and pepper; then grilled, turning once or twice until cooked to the point where the extremeties are blackening but not burnt; roughly chopped and set aside. Then fried onions, garlic, chopped fresh tomatoes, yoghurt, paprika, garam masala, coriander leaf, freshly ground coriander, salt and chicken stock to make a sauce; fold in the chicken thighs and serve over rice with some mango chutney.

Tonight:
    Beer, cheeseburger and curry chips.

It's all about the variety ;)

A tortilla (frittata) with spinach and tomato, bulked up with bits of pasta and topped with stilton, cooked on the hob then under the grill to brown the top.

Last night I had dinner at a French bistro. Had pate with fig jam, steak with foie gras butter and potato dauphinoise and a chocolate fondant which was the best dessert I've ever had - going to be searching for a recipe. It was in tart shape but was made entirely of the gooey inside of a chocolate pudding.

Tonight I'm making salmon with philadelphia herb crust, potato wedges and and orange/spinach salad type thing.

• Advertisement

Last night threw on some spicy pork - fry two cinnamon sticks, two brown cardamom pods and a star anise in some hot oil, add a tablespoon of chili bean paste. Fry for a minute, add pork. Colour pork. Now splash over some rice wine and some ketjap manus. Add water so that it almost covers the pork. Turn the heat down and simmer it until you're left with meat that's almost dry, with a slick of sauce over it. Eat with rice. Wonder about what vegetable would go with it, then dismiss as 'too hard'.

last night finally got around to making chimichangas! turkey breast, veg rolled up in tortilla wrap and fried, along with some enchilada-ish sauce and salad. was gorgeous! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

roast chicken and roast vegs .....mmmmmm 30 mins to go before demolition of the roast:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I just had a lamb burger with blue stilton and onions in a bagel, served with potato wedges and carrots.

Simple, but very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had a few friends round impromptu and simply threw some very good spicy pork sausages on the bbq, which we ate with caramelised onions and ketchup on tiger loaf, with a few bottles of beer. Ah glorious sunshine!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We were very lazy.. Got a hot roast chicken in Dunnes, a carton of ready made Champ and a carton of carrot and swede mash.. all I had to do was make some gravy and we had a roast dinner for 2 :)

So lazy, but so tasty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

BBQ'd a batch of fresh prawns marinated in chilli oil, garlic and coriander (got them for 12 euro! uncooked:-) bonus), along with a organic salmon (BBQ'd also) and a bowl of mussels. Served with rice on the side, and cucumber and cherry tomato salad. The kids lapped it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

left over roast chicken used in green thai curry and some brown rice (in me new rice cooker)...yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

last night finally got around to making chimichangas! turkey breast, veg rolled up in tortilla wrap and fried, along with some enchilada-ish sauce and salad. was gorgeous! :P
    chimichangas are something that appear all the time in american films/tv and they are one of the few foods that I don't know exactly what it is. (the way I know the difference between burritos, fajits, enchilada, quesedella etc)

• Advertisement

Mushroom risotto made with the stock from Sunday's roast chickens, a handful of dried porcini and a mixture of pan fried 'shrooms - a drop of lemon juice over the mushrooms lifts their flavour. I deep fried a pile of fresh sage leaves from the sage tree in the garden - I have more sage than any sane person could possible use....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement