Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Chicken Fillet browned in some butter in a frying pan then left to simmer in sauce with tomato, streaky bacon, onion, green pepper, garlic and marjoram. Served with steamed brocolli and rosemary roast baby potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

a very simple chicken stir fry with chicken (obviously), onions, mushrooms. carrots, mangetout & soya sause with rice..... sooo yummee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

dlambirl wrote: »
    a very simple chicken stir fry with chicken (obviously), onions, mushrooms. carrots, mangetout & soya sause with rice..... sooo yummee!!!

I frequently do similar but add the juice of a lime and a lemon into the pan (I use a whole lemon and whole lime for two people). Throw in the juice of half an orange to sweeten it up (if you want it to be less tangy) and throw the drained rice in with it for the last couple of minutes to make sure you get all the sauce - nom nom nom nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had marinated lamb (garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, olive oil and honey) and vegetable kebabs, grilled, with couscous seasoned with lemon juice, black pepper, olive oil and cumin.

It sounds good but almost every aspect of it was disappointing - especially the lamb - which despite paying over a fiver for 300g and marinating all day was tough and stringy.

Tonight we're having chicken. I've roasted a whole one and am going to shred it and cook up a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce, and eat it with roasted baby new potatoes, roasted carrots and steamed broccoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight we're having chicken. I've roasted a whole one and am going to shred it and cook up a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce, and eat it with roasted baby new potatoes, roasted carrots and steamed broccoli.

Make a pie!!
    I did a chicken/mushroom/leek/bacon pie last night and it was yum.
    I had pastry in the fridge from my Cow Pie last week.
    Pies are my thing for now!!

Rough Puff Pastry

200g Lard or Butter (cold)(I got lard in Tescos)
    400g Plain Flour
    Pinch of salt
    Iced water

Cut fat into 1" cubes,toss in flour until well coated but don't rub fat in.
    Add enough water to just bring it together. Don't work it too much.
    Roll out on a well floured surface with a well floured rolling pin.
    Fold bottom third and top third into the centre, rotate 90 degrees and roll again. Repeat about six times.
    Chill for an hour.
    Make pie!!

It's not hard or particularly time consuming and it made beautiful pies (and I've no experience with pastry). Much better and easier than puff regular pastry for pies.

Some recipes call for a squeeze of lemon juice too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I love pies, but I'm calorie-counting so they have to be a treat...sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love pies, but I'm calorie-counting so they have to be a treat...sigh.

Yeah.
    250g of lard went into my pastry but having said that, it made enough pastry for 2 pies for 4 people.
    Not exactly low fat, though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

FAT!

Christmas is coming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A stoved chicken casserole effort. Chicken, thyme, onion, potatoes, a few slices of bacon and some stock. Pretty good. :) Temperature required was only 150 C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight I had vegetable stir-fry with bok choi, carrots, broccoli and green beans and noodles. Followed by fruit salad with low fa youghurt poured over it. I'm trying to eat a bit more healthy at the moment because I'm a fatty fatty fat fat! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

I cooked coddle last night.
    I got the recipe from a thread on this forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

guinness.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

weight watchers pasta salad and sandwich :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The first of the game arrived in my butcher's shop today. I got delicious wild mallard for our dinner this evening that I roasted on top of sliced apple. Unfortunately I slightly overcooked the meat as I'd forgotten just quite how hot my oven can run. Was still good though and I mixed the apples and the duck juices together to make a rough sauce which wetted the meat a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had lovely beef mince chimichangas and some nachos! yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I made meatballs in a tomato sauce with penne pasta. I mixed beef and pork mince 50/50 and beat in two eggs, some breadcrumbs, fresh basil, oregano and thyme (from the garden), grated half an onion. The best meatballs I've made. The sauce I made from passata, onion, garlic, a red chili, a pepper and olive oil. I had a a can of draught Guinness in honour of the day that was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, we had venison sausages, red cabbage, and knopfli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

last night i made meatballs in a spicy pepporoni tomato sause & spagetti....

thinking of maybe a t-bone for tonight or tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

3 diced chicken breast marinated in sour cream,lime,garlic,worstershire sauce paprika and black pepper,

1/2 used for stir fried with onion peppers and celery
    served with noodles

rest of chicken to be used in burritto's tomorrow :pac:

Tonight, it shall be "alp säuli" (alp-pork) stew with mushrooms and celeriac in a white-wine, mustard, cream and honey sauce, served on mashed spuds, with a side of mixed veg.

Hurry up and get cooked, dammit. I'm hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

special fried rice tonight with a platter of starters yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight the OH wanted sausages but I felt like some kind of casserole. Compromised with a pasta bake from the BBC website - made a few alterations but it was really nice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rigatonisausagebake_67226.shtml

Luckily I've found a butcher here that does good sausages. It wouldn't have been as nice with the usual NZ sausages (they're most made of beef or say "meat flavoured" on them!)

bonkey wrote: »
    Hurry up and get cooked, dammit. I'm hungry.

So there was a touch too much honey for mrs. Bonkey's taste. Shame.

Tonight, we shall have venison, done mushroom, lardons with a red-wine sauce, served with knopfli, red cabbage and glazed horse chestnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Went back to a dish I havent done for a while. Its a Rick Stein pan fried Chicken with a sweet wine reduction, black pudding and wilted spinach.

Previous night was a striploin that I had been marinating all day in extra v olive oil and balsamic vin. Think I overdid the balsamic in the marinade as while the meat was fine it was a little too sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Last night was a bit of a strange one here but worked out very well--courgette, onion, mushrooms, peppers, potatoes and tofu all chopped up and cooked in tomatoes and veg stock with lots of basil and oregano. Tasted gorgeous and was a great way to 'clear the ends' of the week's veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Had the parents over for dinner yesterday, so did a roast dinner.

Starter was stuffed field mushrooms

Lovely bit of beef from the Butchers in Charlestown (McArdles, lovely butchers).

With

Potatoes (mashed & roast)
    Carrots (best carrots I ever tasted, from the farmers market in Glasnevin beside woodies)
    Roast Parsnips
    Cabbage
    Roast Stuffed Tomatoes
    Gravy made from the juices from the meat.

Then we had a Mascarpone and Cream blend, with orange rind and strawberries.

De-lish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nothing too fancy. Some lentils, home made spicy wedges and a potato/tomato bake thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Following a week of working in San Francisco where I got used to the words 'ya want fries with that?', I returned to find my wife had cooked up a fantastic Irish stew on Saturday. I'm eating out tonight but tomorrow will be minced beef farcis.

We have a large, round, squash that we'll be stuffing with minced beef, garlic, chopped tomatoes, herbs and some homegrown, freshly picked chilli. Hopefully it will all go well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

kenco wrote: »
    Previous night was a striploin that I had been marinating all day in extra v olive oil and balsamic vin. Think I overdid the balsamic in the marinade as while the meat was fine it was a little too sharp

Was it genuine balsamic? Because there really shouldn't be any sharpness off that at all, particularly once cooked.

Last night we had chilli served in super crispy potato skins and tonight was lamb karahi.

Tomorrow I had planned to do chicken tequila fettucine but I've been having such a goo for the Ballymore Inn that I think I'm just going to have to go there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Simple and easy food at the moment. Last night had a chicken caesar salad. Tonight it's home-made pizza (buying really good stone-baked bases at the store very cheaply, then choosing own sauce and toppings and using the pizza stone in the oven - never ordering pizza from the shop again!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement