Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried ray wing, dahl, brown rice.
    yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nicoise salad last night with pan-fried tuna steaks, spinach leaves, green beans, tomatoes and free-range hard-boiled eggs. Very nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pegs595

It was a bit fiddly but worth the effort.

Get a red onion and stick it in cold water for about 5-10 mins (reduces sharpness). Cut into slices. Avocado cut into slices. Toast some bread like you would for crostini and put a few avocado slices and also a few onion slices on top. (Fiddly bit next) Poach an egg and when it's still runny in the middle take it out of the water and wrap it in a smoked salmon slice. Put this on top of the toast and squeeze a bit of lemon juice over it. (It's as easy to do about 4 as it is one)

Well I liked it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well I went for dinner in my friends house last night... She cooked the jamie oliver fish pie..

It was delicious....

The recipe is available on line... She said it was very easy to make.

NYOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cathohara

We had Raclette, tonight we are having this : http://www.sailusfood.com/2006/06/07/spicy-chicken-masala-curry/
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

We had coq au vin that I made the previous evening at a cookery class. My wife and daughter said that it was a bit salty due to the lardons I had used. The also said that next time I should put less flour in the sauce. Other than that they enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How did this go?

Also, please tell me you live in Ireland? I have been looking for canned pumpkin for years to no avail. Where did you buy it?

It went down a treat. I don't live in Ireland at the minute, but for the pumpkin I used butternut pumpkin soup. You should be able to find one whose make up is basically pumpkin and water. Or for the less diet concerned cream of pumpkin soup would work.

Anyway here goes,
    1 Chicken breast
    1 Clove of garlic
    Chinese 5 spice
    Tablespoon curry paste
    1 Red onion
    Worchester sauce
    Vinegar
    1 Tomato
    1 can of pumpkin soup
    Mixed veg (I used heinz frozen carrot/cauli/broc)

Lightly brown chicken in the pan with garlic and chinese 5 spice, remove from heat and toss around in a bowl with curry past coating chicken. Chicken back into pan. Its ok if some of the paste remains in the bowl.
    Chop red onion and into big chunks tomato finely and toss in bowl to take up last bit of paste. Throw into pan along with worchester and vinegar to taste (not essential, I like the flavor both give to meat and curry, leave out if unsure)
    Mix will be quite dry so keep heat low so it doesn't burn.
    Add soup and give it a good mix to spread curry throughout. Leave on a low heat to reduce.
    Cook/steam veg separately and add to curry when its of a suitable consistency. (I use less rice than normal so like it thick)

Serve with rice/chip/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Red wine bolognaise sauce simmering away on the cooker now. Have to collect weekend guest from the train station in a few minutes, then it's spag bol with fresh vienna loaf, a bottle of red wine and a metric fuckton of parmesan cheese. Then we sleep. For the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had prawns, sweetcorn,peppers,mushrooms and pasta. all mixed together with garlic sauce all over, was surprisingly good :P

tonight is homemade wedges, chinese drumsticks, and salad. nom nom nom :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Had minced beef tortilla wraps last night!
    In the frying pan:
    Minced beef
    Courgettes
    Mushrooms
    Sweet orange pepper (grown in my greenhouse)
    Sweet yellow pepper

Sauce:
    Tinned plum tomatoes
    Onion, (chopped and softened first in the pan then blended with the plum tomatoes)
    Chilli (two, grown in my greenhouse)

salt and pepper added to taste.

All mixed together and heated before serving into a bowl.
    Did the wraps for30 seconds (5 wraps) in the microwave. Filled the wraps and ate :D
    Very hot despite the chilis being quite small :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

bonkey wrote: »
    ... in a white-wine, mustard, cream and honey sauce...

Could I have the recipe for this please? Yum! I keep getting my quantities wrong when doing a white wine sauce..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-cake

..............had to give it a go. Put the kettle on.
    Chocolate Biscuit Cake, ready in a few hours I reckon.

P1010010.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

P1010015.jpg

Tastes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was 2 pints of Guinness while trying to shout down the approximately 300 London Irish fans I was sitting right in the middle of.

Tonight will be Angus fillet steaks with garlic, lemon & rosemary butter and squashed potatoes.

For tomorrow I'm torn between white chilli or chorizo & chickpea stew. I've another (local) rugby match to go to so I'll need something nice and warming for afterwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night we had a starter of pan-seared scallops with garlic butter, and black pudding. That was followed by pan-fried medalions of monkfish drizzled with a lemon, parsley and white wine sauce, served with carrots and mashed potatoes. We finished off with warm chocolate brownies and vanilla ice-cream. All washed down with several glasses of Faustino Rioja :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^
    Ill take 3 servings please Faith!

I got some fresh Pollock while down in Wexford yesterday, had to gut and fillet them and then did this :

Easy Baked Cheddar Pollock Recipe (Serves 1 so multiply by number of persons)

Ingredients:

* 1 Pollock (haddock, cod or scrod) fillet, about 8 ounces
    * 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    * 1/3 cup cornflake crumbs
    * 1/2 lemon
    * Salt and pepper to taste

* Place Pollock fillet on buttered baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
    * Squeeze lemon juice over the Pollock fillet and cover with grated cheese.
    * Sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
    * Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until done.

just had some mash,carrots,gravy and breast of chicken! nothing too fancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Duck a l'orange with sauted potatoes and carrots cooked in honey and butter.
    Carrots didn't work though, too sweet, and the duck was taken too far into medium-well :(
    Still good though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Tried the philadelphia recipe

Chicken stuffed with philly with basil and wrapped in parma ham with roasted tomatoes and Rocket leaves and some garlic bread.

Nyom!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Home made veg soup and arabian spinach. Basically, spinach, cumin, garlic, onion and chick peas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So far, several mini Kinder chocolate things.

chicken, pasta, sweetcorn and mushroom sauce.. nom nom just baked cookies too, alls i need is tea now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a McFondue last night. A burger in a ciabatta bap with melted Gruyeres and Emmenthal.

Believably scheiße.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Whiting poached with leek and shallot, carrots, baby spuds, and a bechemal made with the poaching milk and some of the softened leek and shallot mixed in. Nom

Tonight: spanish omelette, courgette bread and green salad. Double nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I had a McFondue last night. A burger in a ciabatta bap with melted Gruyeres and Emmenthal.

Believably scheiße.

Yeah...I saw they were doing Swiss week, shuddered, and moved on.

Me...I made a lamb curry last night, and then mixed in some broccolli which needed using up right at the end. Turned out pretty damned tasty.

Tonight, is rabbit casserole served with cheesy polenta and a side-salad...just as soon as baby-bonkey goes to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Not quite last night's dinner but not too long ago=)

An Argentinian Parillia for one person: consists of grilled chicked breast, fillet steak, lomo steak, sirloin, black pudding sausage, chorizo sausage served upon a roasting hot plate with BBQ coals underneath. All washed down with a Salta beer. Total cost: €4.75. The feeling of glutony: priceless=)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Returned to the ever-reliable beef stroganoff last night. Himself had a coronary when he realised it's fillet steak. And what it costs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was back home at the weekend for a few days & got a proper chance to cook...

Saturday made a dopiaza-style curry with shoulder of lamb.

Sunday I did roast rib of beef with roasted seasonal veg & lots of garlic. Made onion gravy too. It was my first Sunday roast in 3 months (usually flying on a Sunday) & by Jebus was it good! It was quite possibly the most tender piece of beef I have had in years.

(Many thanks to Aidan in Fox's butchers in Skerries for the lamb & the beef!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cleansheets

Sparks wrote: »
    Duck a l'orange with sauted potatoes and carrots cooked in honey and butter.
    Carrots didn't work though, too sweet, and the duck was taken too far into medium-well :(
    Still good though!

I have a theory that all this Autumn sunshine is making the carrots particularly sweet. Kids are delighted, me: not so much.
    Imagine that this would make for good reduced sugar carrot cake?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Shepherd's Pie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement